It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 226
<< 223  224  225    227  228  229 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

I'm not anywhere near you but I've been laying here on my laptop for about 2 hours and twice I could have sworn I felt very light shaking...back and forth movements. (I live between Ft. Smith and Mena). My mother also called me and is hearing weird noises similar to what we heard during the 4.7, she honestly thought we had another earthquake! This was a few hours ago.

And not related to this topic at all, but related to AR earthquakes - I found THIS on USGS. Find "Oden" on the page. Oden is near Mt. Ida. It is probably nothing but it was a 2.2 and it comes up NOWHERE on a Google search...? I know for sure if we had an earthquake around here, big or small, it would be on the news...but nope, I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone remember seeing this around November of 2010? If not, it makes me wonder if they added it later on. I don't know why they would, but it just seems weird.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by tmar11

I have to agree things are a little wierd. I had not seen Oden or noticed it.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Found this happening in Japan. Liquefication

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Found this happening in Japan. Liquefication

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

That is some crazy footage. Wow. Now that makes me think of all the developed "burbs" that have grown up just in my area alone. Makes sense landfill ground has been transplanted to said location, is not going to be near as stable as "virgin" soil. All the land moving and excavating that goes into land before development displaces it, aerates it, packs just the top layer down, making whats just below the surface instant wave material. Makes you want to know how old your neighborhood is and was it built up for development or just plopped onto the space. As I recall the sculpting of land before development is relatively new, meaning last 30 years or so. Otherwise most construction used to be done just for immediate footers and foundations. Anybody got a recourse for this observation?

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I would greatly appreciate anybody that can verify the following simple information. It is important to me to get the facts.

On April 11th, I recently checked the USGS website for the first time this year, to see a list of earthquake activity in the last 30 days.

When I checked the the USGS link that provides the data for the "Past 8-30 days"(world-wide) it WRONGLY SHOWED data for March 9th through to March 31st, when it should have instead displayed data from March 13th to April 4th.

The data for April 1st/2nd/3rd/and 4th, were not available on either the "Past 7 days (M5+)" link NOR on the "Past 8-30 days" link when I checked late night April 11th.

Did anybody else notice that on April 11th, and perhaps April 9th to April 11th, that the "the Past 8-30 days" link was NOT properly updated? and if so, is it common for that USGS link to show the wrong range of dates(8-30) for several days at a time?

Thanks in advance.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Susan, have you seen this? You can hear the water and hissing...watch it on full screen and you won't believe your eyes! Really scary!

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Thanks for the vid - I think, very
frightening. Is this happening
in various locations of Japan
or just one area, I wonder.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

I'm not sure but they said it was near Tokyo. That video hit me in the gut! You can see the trees and the light posts swaying.

edit on 13-4-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phantomfire707

I don't know, sorry. I do think that USGS doesn't report all earthquakes. I know some people say otherwise but when you feel an earthquake and it doesn't show up, that's kind of fishy. I have also noticed a few earthquakes pop up even a few MONTHS later, and nobody remembers seeing them on USGS around the time they happened, like the "Oden" Arkansas earthquake. I think sometimes they do this as to not cause too much fear.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

Yes I have seen it. It is scarey. I am thankful that we have not swayed that bad here, but wonder if it is coming.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey
reply to post by Tecumte

Something just rattled us pretty good. Lasted about 30 to 35 seconds. Anyone else felt anything tonight? This is like the 3rd time we rattled in the past little bit.

Susan, I'm north of you in Mid-Missouri probably far enough away to not be directly affected by the smaller quakes in your area, so no we didn't feel anything, but even here we have had a couple of small tremors in the last year or so.

I hope nobody here got the idea by any of my comments that I'm downplaying fracking as a potential culprit for the quakes in your area, not at all, I'm rather just looking at the situation world wide and trying to figure out just what is 'nature vs nurture' and in what way exactly mankind is having an effect.

I do honestly believe there is SO much more going on than meets the eye especially worldwide and I just leave the door of probability open at this point and say almost NOTHING would surprise me in regard to 'earth changes' occuring now that we are all witnessing.

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Tecumte

I am probably north of you in North St Louis Co, but in the Sinks area. I have been feeling odd movements for months now. Approx 20 mins after an Arkansas tremor, we get a ripple.

At this point I am ruling nothing out, but I am betting fracking has not helped the situation.

If anyone has suggestions on how I can get a hold of geological maps of the area, I would appreciate it. I am looking for maps indicating underlying geology from Oklahoma to Iowa.

edit on 4/13/2011 by katfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Tecumte

I honestly think there is something else going on besides fracking, but I think the fracking "intensified" it. Also, sped up whatever is occurring.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Everything has been pretty calm on USGS for the past few days. What about the webicorder? Have you felt much, Susan?

Also, we are supposed to have bad storms this evening/tonight. Possible baseball-sized hail. Western AR (where I live) has a 6, a moderate possibility of a tornado. Eastern AR is a 3-4 which is a small chance. So we will definitely be having some severe weather...I'll check back in a bit to see how damaging the winds are supposed to be. It was a storm like this last time when we had that 4.7.
edit on 14-4-2011 by tmar11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
My brother just called and asked me if I saw on the local news yesterday about Memphis/Arkansas having seminars discussing the New Madrid and earthquake drills. They are held at the Memphis Cook Convention Center.
Anyone have any info?

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Hi Butter Cookie... I did a quick google search and it looks like perhaps this is the event that was mentioned at the Convention Center. Hope this helps....

Seismology Society of America at the Memphis Cook Convention Center

In their program it does look like they are touching on the NMFZ to a degree

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by tmar11

Arkansas needs a new motto. "If the Earthquakes Don't Get You...The Tornado's Will"

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MyMindIsMyOwn

The Field trip they're taking on this Saturday is specific to the NM. I would love to be able to see a 'buried forest resulting from earthquake-induced liquefaction'. Also, I don't understand was there is to debate on the New Madrid. Foreshocks vs aftershocks?

Field Trip: Taking a New Look at the New Madrid Seismic Zone

Leaders: Heather R DeShon, CERI - University of Memphis,
Martitia P Tuttle, M.P. Tuttle and Associates,
Roy B. Van Arsdale, University of Memphis

During the winter of 1811-1812, the region of southeastern Missouri, northeastern Arkansas, and northwestern Tennessee was the locale of at least three large earthquakes associated with the New Madrid Seismic Zone. Although no major earthquake has occurred in the region since 1895, it remains the most seismically active area east of the Rocky Mountains and poses a serious threat to the metropolitan and agricultural areas of the central United States and to the numerous lifelines that pass through the region. On this field trip we will visit several sites exhibiting effects of the 1811-1812 and previous earthquake sequences and discuss recent seismological, geological, geophysical, and engineering related scientific results. Field trip stops will include trenched sand blows and buried forest resulting from earthquake-induced liquefaction, a trenched fault, Reelfoot Lake, Reelfoot scarp, a continuous GPS monitoring station, and a creek exposure of near-surface stratigraphic units. The New Madrid Seismic Zone is one of the most studied and debated intraplate earthquake sources worldwide. Significant time has been allotted for participants to examine geologic features and to discuss recent findings with investigators.

Would have gone to the open meeting on Wednesday night, but the word wasn't out soon enough.

posted on Apr, 14 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by derek_m24

Lol that's true!

& is the USGS website down for anyone else right now?

new topics

top topics

<< 223  224  225    227  228  229 >>

join