It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 215
<< 212  213  214    216  217  218 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SusanFrey

Thanks for that wonderful mental image of baby bears! I needed a smile about now. I don`t imagine sleep will come soon tonight.

Wonder if that was considered an aftershock, a primary quake, or a foreshock( I most assuredly hope not the last option!)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

Last night, at about 10:05 , it sounded like something had exploded outside, and the lights flickered. I, along with everyone on this block, went outside to see if a house was on fire or a transformer had blown. But no smoke,no sirens,nothing. Thankfully,I had GEE up and saw the "blip". I`m not saying that the sound was a product of the "blip", just that it was odd that it happened at exactly the same time with none of the usual suspects being in evidence here. Just an observation and report

Wow, the same thing happened here - Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I heard a loud boom like the transformers make, the lights went out and came right back on. Same time or very close - around 10, I wasn't looking at the clock. I should have so I would have the exact time.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

The first signs that something was coming was last night. It seems like the break of five days only increased the magnitude. And there was rain recently. The 3.6M was not right along the main faultline. This would be a lateral quake. If you look back at the map Puterman posted... you'll see this one is in the south were the trend has been moving.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm certain the rainfall is the cause. If the injection of water caused the rupture of the fault in the first place, futher pressure from increased flow in the groundwater will do the same thing.

I check the location of the street of the house explosion. There are wells right next door to several houses. The rainfall would account for the gas migrating toward the surface. Since the gas is lighter than the water it would rise to the surface and when it evaporates it could collect under a house, or within the walls. Electrical fires don't cause houses to instantly burn down. Sure the wind would help drive the fire once it was engulfed. But it would cause an explosion. Natural gas causes lots of explosions. People's wells become deathtraps unless they have venting.

Sometimes when you flip on a electrical switch, you may notice a small spark. Especially in older homes. If there was gas trapped between the walls, this spark would be the ingition source.

www.facebook.com...

a4gda.blogspot.com...

www.wtae.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey
reply to post by Robin Marks

Yeah I would too, but I don't know what the address is.

Just in case you come here first I sent you a private message with the address and phone number.

Thought I could help

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonlover12

I hope it was the aftershock and they will die on down now. Wishful thinking. We have heard several low rumbles since. I noticed the compass is not pointing in the right direction. Taping now but the movement has stopped for now. Guess I'll turn the camera off and get it up.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

Now that is really freaky! I still have no idea what caused it here. Maybe one of those things we will never know. But I think its a good idea for us to report things like that here... who knows, it may be a part of figuring this whole puzzle out.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Damn, that's twice now they've done this to me. I checked and made sure the quake was reviewed, and then when I rechecked I realized they changed the location of the quake. It is right in Greenbrier along the main fault.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Does that change any of you feelings about this one? Your feelings and instincts on these are really important information for us to have. It really does help!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Video is uploading, will post once youtube has converted it. I hate to say this but I have a feeling it's building again and we might have another here before the night is out. Robin, Puterman, TrueAmerican do you agree?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Video is uploading, will post once youtube has converted it. I hate to say this but I have a feeling it's building again and we might have another here before the night is out. Robin, Puterman, TrueAmerican do you agree?

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Hi all,

I am still interested in helping to raise money to help with the situation and I had an Idea for a t-shirt, but I would like to have your input.

On the front I thought the caption could be "The Fracking Family" with pictures of the the company logos involved with fracking. On the back the caption "Stop Fracking You fracking Frackers"

If you have a good copy of the logos and could send them to me it would be helpful and any Ideas on the words are accepted as well. We can make many products with many sayings for sale with 100% profit going to the fight against fracking.

Agarta

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

That sounds like a good idea. What about putting the well signs on the front with the names of companies and the permit numbers.

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Send them to me and I'll get started.

Edit to say: I do design as well so you don't have to put it all together. Just send me the parts and I will figure it out.
edit on 6-4-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Here is the video I got. Ignore the multiple conversations going on. LOL!!!

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I got a problem- it's that I'm too honest. I have to speak only the truth to keep myself sane. Since you asked, I have to answer. In the short term, I think this was a mainshock. The pattern in the earthquakes has been clustering. I had been counting the days since the last quake and we made it to five days without one. I was going to do a detailed count to find out the longest period without a quake since the start of the swarm back in the fall. I did a quick count the other day but never did an accurate tally. But I think there hadn't been a break this long before. I'm thinking this larger quake was stress built up over the last few days. This is a quess, I think this may be it and there should be no bigger ones, just maybe a few more around 2M.

This is not a guess. It's thoughtful deduction made after studying the quakes over the last few months. I've had a bit of practise since I've studied Yellowstone for the last two years. This is fluid movement. I watched a swarm at Yellowstone consisting of thousands of quakes. A study was published which suggested that the Yellowstone swarm was most likely caused by fluids. Yellowstone has a dynamic aquifer- groundwater. Hence the geyers. The quakes at Yellowstone and Arkansas are not like the earthquakes in California or Japan which are caused by shifting plates. The earthquake in Arkansas are not being caused by plate tectonics. They are beind caused by the water. And as I've stated before, it's all about the water and the types of rock under Arkansas. The rock is porous and unstable.

Here's where I don't like the fact I have to be honest. Move. Get the hell out of there. I would tell you all to stand and fight like hell. But there aint' no way you're going to win. I wish it wasn't so and if I could lead an army against it all, I would fight to the death. It's just that there's no way to stop them. I'm not saying give up or give in. It's just that I don't see a way to stop their momentum. I know some of you can't move. If I lived there I know I'd have a tough time leaving. It's just too dangerous. They are still injection wells in operation. There is still a carbon capture facility operating. They are not going to stop fracking short of a bloody revolt. There will be a disaster sometime in the not so distant future. If I saw another outcome, I'd not be so certain. I don't see anything stopping the runaway train.

Move if you can. If you can't, prepare as if your life depends on it- because it does. Tell your loved ones not to stay inside a building to take cover. Get outside in a clearing. A house may be more stable than buildings. Buildings, especially brick and block construction will not withstand anything over 6.5+M. The wetter the soils, the less chance the building will stand.

There have been many earthquake in the area surrounding Yellowstone. They are fracking almost up to Yellowstone's borders. I see two very dire situations that make me certain there will be a disaster. Remember BP. Remember the Nuclear crisis in Japan.

Here it is again. Watch how drilling caused a disaster in a lake.
This bit of history shows the folly of man; folly which will lead to a catastrophe in the near future.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

edit on 6-4-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

It was a nice break not feeling anxious for a few days but now that feeling is back, animals are showing signs of it again as well. It does play on you nerves. Our house is on the market and we will sell if we ever get a buyer. Problem is that property value's have dropped and who wants to purchase in a seismically active area. I wish there was some way to get these companies to buy us out for those that want to move away as I feel your right on target Robin. I have heard that they are buying land in the area and was told not to be shocked if someone showed up wanting to know if we would sell. I sure wish they would come on out, I'd sell if they will give me a fair price and I won't loose my butt on it. We have been here 3 years now, not quite long enough to build up that much equity yet.

When everyone is preparing don't forget to prepare for your pets as well. They need food and water too. Make sure if you are on any prescriptions that they stay filled and you have a supply on hand. We have a gas grill, but also got charcoal, lighter fluid and a charcoal grill if we run out of propane and can't get it filled. We have a backup generator on our house and hopefully if the house makes it thru a big quake or disaster, the generator will as well. It's been nice for storm outages, but it doesn't get used that much, but the propane tank for it is full. Think about things that you might need for a week to a month long camping trip with no stores close by or access to one. The roads will probably be gone for a while or pretty torn up, bridges out and everything a mess. First Aid kits should be up to date as well. Lots of things to have ready but prepare for the worse, and hope for the best, It could hit tonight, tomorrow or next year, we don't know when.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by SusanFrey
www.youtube.com...

Here is the video I got. Ignore the multiple conversations going on. LOL!!!

lol, I see you managed to finally stop that thing in this latest video. Thanks. I remember asking you for that a week or two ago, but don't know if you ever posted another video where you did that. I've been busy on other threads....

One thing Susan, have you guys ever considered earthquake insurance? Because if you are going to stay, better to get it ASAP before the USGS can reassess their hazard maps. After the new fault discovery, they are likely to go up- if they haven't already.

All in all though, not sure it is worth moving for. The new fault is away from the main NM fault, and although it's an extension, it's not likely to load the NM fault with any additional stress cause it is far enough away, imo. While it's possible this latest activity are foreshocks, I wouldn't bet on it. Foreshocks just don't occur that often relative to Mainshock/Aftershock type quakes. True, Japan with the 7.2 first before the 9+ might be so, but you're not in Japan on a subduction zone. And the point is that by now the mainshock would probably have happened on the new fault. And I don't see any reason for this to be considered foreshocks for something to happen on the NM.

As with any major decision, a pro/con list can be very helpful. The more reasons you can list to stay, and reasons to leave, the easier you can see it all in black and white before you. Compare. Decide.

Could be that living with constant rumbles is not the way to go no matter what, and maybe it IS time to go. I don't know. But good luck, and I wish you wisdom and sane, conservative reasoning in your decision. Fracking could be a cause of the activity- but remember it takes a very long fault to produce real big quakes. Don't give up the house over something "big" that is extremely unlikely on the new extension fault. As to the NM, that is always a concern for all of us living in this part of the country. And even then some geologists think it may be deactivating and is no longer a real threat.

Risk assessment. That's where you're at. Good to choose sources wisely.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS!!

House blows up in Greenbrier, AR. Family escaped harm by evacuating home through window.

This was sent to me by a facebook friend.

Monday, I was at a meeting in Greenbrier. There was a couple there from Quitman, who was very afraid about the gas shooting out of their water well.

They were notified by the industry that they would cap of the water well. The couple was afraid if the well was capped their house may fill up with gas and explode.

A friend went to their house this afternoon to take pictures of the gas spewing water well. While she was there a neighboring home exploded. The story just aired on Fox 16 News Little Rock.
"A bit of an update and this is what I've heard from a gas worker...The gas wells in that area are full of water right now. They are pulling out water from the gas wells as quickly as possible. They can't cement any of the water wells for fear of another explosion. They also haven't vented any of those wells in over a year so the area is ripe for another one."

Now in my opinion they need to evacuate everyone from the area if there is this much going on right now in Quitman and that much danger, at least until they have it resolved, but will they admit it and do that, NO they won't, they would be admitting if they took action to protect the people there.

edit on 7-4-2011 by SusanFrey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Geez, well, there's another one for the "con" side of the list...
So now it's rumbles, quakes, AND gas explosions?

Yep, maybe it is time to hit the road.

posted on Apr, 7 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Okay this may have nothing to do with the quakes, but my husband and I have been keeping up with my medical issues. I'm sure you all remember the whole issue I've had with the seizures and the doctors finding all of the evidence of seizures, but just can't find the seizures etc. Well, looking at the last 3 months, here's what I have noticed. When the earthquakes were bad, and progressing, my symptoms were bad and progressing. The night we had the 4.7 I ended up in the ER with a cluster type seizure that went on for 4 hours.. thankfully not the kind of seizure that causes brain damage (I hope I'm remembering the right earthquake.. I know it was one of the ones that was above 4.0 though.) After that, I very slowly started to improve, and the earthquakes started to diminish. The last since the end of last week I have felt GREAT! No dizzy spells, more energy than I know what to do with, only occasional fluttery movements of my eyes and blurred vision (a couple of times of day for no more than 20 seconds each time.) Today, around 6pm or so, I got real dizzy and had to sit down. I couldn't really talk because my speech was slurred. So there are 3 ways I think you could look at it. 1) The earthquakes are caused by my health problems (Threw that one in for you 'smarty-pants' out there!
) 2) My illness is MAJORLY affected by the quakes, or 3) There is no correlation, only coincidence. Anyone else out there with similar experience? I know that many of you get the headaches and ringing in the ears, but seizure like activity??

new topics

top topics

<< 212  213  214    216  217  218 >>

join