It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I am sorry if this is "redundant information", but there is a volcanic past for Arkasas, Missouri and W. Virginia. Not to insinuate that this has to do with EQ activity, but just sayin'.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by G.A.G.
I am sorry if this is "redundant information", but there is a volcanic past for Arkasas, Missouri and W. Virginia. Not to insinuate that this has to do with EQ activity, but just sayin'.

Yes, they account for the deep old faults.

Have to add, watch the webicorder, the quakes are popping off every few minutes or so.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

Most surficial rocks in Arkansas are sedimentary, but there are some igneous rocks (with adjacent contact metamorphic rocks) and very low grade regional metamorphic rocks in Arkansas also. The most recent igneous activity in Arkansas occurred some 90 to 100 million years ago.

If that type of activity occured again.........I don't think we will be around to discuss it....

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
To me 706 quakes since August 2010 is a hell of a lot! Forgive me if I'm wrong.
If the majority of these quakes are indeed caused by fraking then it really dose need to be stopped. Especially when you have mentioned the fact that deep well injection disposal is a cause of quakes.

I really do hope that this dose not lead to a major earthquake in the areas in question.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Actually it was at its most intense last November/December time so the last 2 or 3 days is not sufficient time to show if this is a renewed intensity.

Putting this in perspective using the amount of energy released for all quakes over mag 1.0 since 01/01/2010 we see this

I leave you to decide whether the current 'swarm' is of any significance.

This one will update when you click it.

WHAR.AG.00.HHZ.2011.047
edit on 16/2/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Hmmm...another one:

Magnitude 2.8
Date-Time Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 15:52:36 UTC
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 at 09:52:36 AM at epicenter

Location 35.278°N, 92.371°W
Depth 6.2 km (3.9 miles)
Region ARKANSAS

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I have been following and interested in EQ's since I was very young. I don't know much about all the technical stuff and have just recently (last couple of months) begun to monitor webicorders and such. I have followed all the EQ threads and I am just fascinated but a little worried as well.

Arkansas has bothered me quite a bit lately, so today's earthquakes have really peaked my interest and even more worrisome. I would love to get my hands on "Gasland" and have been to numerous stores in my area to find it to no avail. So I guess I will be ordering it online in the next couple of days.

Just had another EQ in AR. Was watching it on the webcorder as it came through.

USGS

CERI

**I have never "Linked" anything before, so please forgive me if this doesn't work. Otherwise I will come back to edit and just copy and paste.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thank you for the charts, puts it more into perspective.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Could somebody post the link for the Arkansas Webicorder please....Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky
reply to post by G.A.G.

Most surficial rocks in Arkansas are sedimentary, but there are some igneous rocks (with adjacent contact metamorphic rocks) and very low grade regional metamorphic rocks in Arkansas also. The most recent igneous activity in Arkansas occurred some 90 to 100 million years ago.

If that type of activity occured again.........I don't think we will be around to discuss it....

You are "right as rain" Cloudinthesky. Thankyou for the geology lesson. (smile)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Thanks Puterman. Are there any links to watch the quakes "live" as they happen?

ETA: Or can I just re-click on your links for updates? Please forgive me for my intelligence in this matter.
edit on 16-2-2011 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   

I absolutely agree that there have been other periods where there were spikes of greater activity. And that's my point. This is an ongoing swarm which I thought was about to stop after a lull. Maybe you could give us a total accumlated energy release for the entire year. It would add up to a significant release of energy. This energy is loading up the stresses on other fault networks. I am not looking at today's events without trying to understand the entire picture.

I am fully aware that the swarm could stop suddenly. And this period may be the last gasp of an ancient fault coming unglued. Or this may be the begining of a sequence of events which sets of another major faultline.

Even if there isn't another quake. This long lasting swarm will have consequences and will cause another area to readjust to this new dynamic.

And for those that have read my previous writings, you will be aware that I have water on the brain. We cannot rule out the groundwater. Nor the moon. (I won't get into that now, and it reminds me...) The area has recieved lots and lots of precipitation. The aquifers are charged and the area will be saturated when there is a major thaw. The ground is sandy. Water+sand+shaking=liquidification.

Puterman, could you put up the map with the epicenter .96km from the fracking pad. And maybe even include a close up shot of the fracking activity captured on the satelite image.

If you believe I'm being alarmist, just ask kennylee if he thinks so. Not long ago I was not ready to suggest there was something bigger brewing. I downplayed my concerns. And even wrote that I thought the four quakes back in 1811/1812 were probably not as big as some geologists believe.

How big?

7.3 magnitude.

But I don't think it will be just one quake. It will be a series of quakes.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by G.A.G.

I wished I had a "Do Over" in life........Those like the OP hopefully will keep us a step ahead.,,,

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

The aquifers are charged and the area will be saturated when there is a major thaw

As many members here on this thread.......I too live in the region (SW MO / AR boarder)....

All of the snow from the last two snow storms that hit Missouri and AR melted over the past two days as temps hit 50+.......

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cloudsinthesky

The aquifers are charged and the area will be saturated when there is a major thaw

As many members here on this thread.......I too live in the region (SW MO / AR boarder)....

All of the snow from the last two snow storms that hit Missouri and AR melted over the past two days as temps hit 50+.......

Thank you for that update. Now the question. Is the recent thaw and charging of the aquifer part of the equation?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Here is a link to Arkansas USGS

There is a lot of information there on past and present events.

Also a link there to most recent quakes: earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

I noticed that the area surrounding Caney, AR is below 400 feet... which will all be under water when a physical (not magnetic ) pole shift occurs. You're gonna want to be above 1000 feet at a minimum to save yourself from the sloshing effect if/when it does happen.

ONE of several possibilities...which could explain why retired Naval Officers are moving to Arkansas.
edit on 16/2/11 by 1088no5 because: to add a link

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Is the recent thaw and charging of the aquifer part of the equation?

Good question.

What about all the water they pump into it when they are fracking?

There is a new method they are experimenting with that will use LP gas, which they ignite underground to accomplish the fracking explosively. Will that be better or worse? Who knows.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Fracking:

I highly encourage anyone wanting to learn more to visit the Gasland website:
LINK

Now keep in mind that these wells can be up to 8,000 ft deep. There are literally thousands upon thousands of these wells in the region Robin is speaking of. Thousand of wells all producing these cracks/fissures under your feet....forcing high-pressure contaminated water into the earth. What in the hell are we doing to this planet???

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join