It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 187
<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
While we've been discussing goverment policies. They've installed a new seismogram at Wooly Park. It's a strong motion detector. You may have noticed that when the quakes are bigger, it stops working.

The 4.7 quake and Scott Ausbrooks revised risk assessment is changing the way they monitor this fault. If a 6 point quake hit, they wouldn't have good data nearest the source.

I read the government plan. It seems the take a large quake seriously. They are trying to inform the public. Maybe they need to do more. And the public needs to tell them what they want. So that's you. I know I've tried to get the folks over at the YVO to be a little more proactive and respond to our concerns. They actually listened. And they told me they read the Yellowstone thread. (wonder what they thought about that big fight) So, keep calling and writing and asking questions. Even dumb questions are good because there is no such thing as a dumb question. Well, that's not true, I ask so many, there's lots of questions that I ask that are simply ridiculous.

There's a ridiculous question running through my mind right now.
Is the USGS and affilitates reading this thread?
So, you never know, maybe Scott has been reading all my posts. I apologize for nothing. If I were in his shoes I'd already have been fired.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

While we've been discussing goverment policies. They've installed a new seismogram at Wooly Park. It's a strong motion detector. You may have noticed that when the quakes are bigger, it stops working. The 4.7 quake and Scott Ausbrooks revised risk assessment is changing the way they monitor this fault. If a 6 point quake hit, they wouldn't have good data nearest the source.

Looks like there are 2 at Woolly Hollow now:
WHAR HHZ AG 00 : Woolly Hollow State Park, AR
WHAR HNZ AG 00 : Woolly Hollow State Park, AR (strongmotion)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I wonder if it's possible they have found this thread, and the reports of us locals all feeling the same things when their old equipment showed nothing? I don't know but it's possible. Obviously someone who either is the worker from Memphis, or knows her has found this thread. This could be their way of checking into our reports, or trying to prove us crazy, haha. None the less, I think by posting on here, we truly are helping to make a difference, and that's the important thing. Robin, thank you so much for starting this thread.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Robin, Here is that wyoming quake from the RSOE website. I noticed you mentioned it had been removed from USGS. This site (RSOE) scares me more than any other.

This is a computer-generated report - this event has not reviewed by a seismologist!
EDIS Number: EQ-20110314-192045-US
Magnitude: 3.0
Mercalli scale: 1
Date-Time [UTC]: 14 March, 2011 at 20:24:54 UTC
Local Date/Time: Sunday, March 13, 2011 at 20:24 in the evening at epicenter
Depth: 1.90 km (1.18 miles)
Region: North America
Distances: 3.81 km (2.37 miles) S of Point of Rocks, Wyoming
Source: USGS-RSOE
here's the link hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
This is a conspiracy site. I walk a thin line. I think I've studied the media and know enough where to find the truth. But it's not always easy, and I don't pretend to be right. I can find a conspiracy around every corner. And sometimes I do it for fun. But here I have to limit my scope. And stick to what I know for fact.

I am working on an argument to suggest that there is not only one person in the government watching the quakes. But that can wait.

I'll walk a thin line here trying to remain on-topic.From Japanese Television, the Japanese reactor containment vessel is leaking. They are losing control. They are ordering more worker evacuations. If they had any to begin with. If you live in the Mississippi area, or anywhere east of the area, when there is a massive quake, evacuate, evacuate, evacuate. The reactor in Arkansas is not built to the same standard. When the ground liquifies, they be little chance of adverting a full meltdown.

How can you trust government who build nuclear reactors on faultlines?
You can't.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
There are 4 new stations near the Greenbrier/Guy Swarm and another close to Enola.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I have friends on the west coast worried about contamination and quakes.
Friends and family near the Madrid and knowing the plants are not as
safe here as in Japan I have been on pins and needles. I also note
Arkansas quakes not being listed, for crying out loud we need
better equipment and followup on every quake occuring in
Arkansas.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Arkansas Nuclear One Pressurised Water Reactor Power Plant, USA
Owner: Entergy
NuclearOperator: Entergy Arkansas
Year of Commission: Unit 1 - 1974 and Unit 2-1980
Installed Capacity: Unit 1-846MW and Unit 2- 930MWLicense Extended Unit 1-2034 and Unit 2-2038

Arkansas Nuclear One (ANO) is a two-unit pressurised water reactor (PWR) power plant located in the west of Russellville in Pope County, Arkansas. It is owned by Entergy Nuclear and operated by Entergy Arkansas. It is the state's only operational nuclear power plant.

The nuclear power plant has two units. Production capacity of the two units is 1,776MW. Unit 1 and 2 are licensed till 2034 and 2038 respectively.

SNIPPED

Most of the reactors in the US are more than 30 years old and no new construction is underway. Yet the country continued to rely more on nuclear power with an increase from 251 billion KWh in 1980 to 809 billion KWh in 2008. That is more than 30% of electricity produced through nuclear power plants.

To maintain the momentum, the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) has concentrated on more efficient utilisation of the existing capacity through proper maintenance and safety systems. This is being achieved by renewing the licences at the existing nuclear plants.

By 2009, NRC had extended the licences of 59 reactors - more than half of all reactors in the US. Licences for about 90 reactors are expected to be renewed in the next 60 years. This might prompt owners to invest in upgrade of their plants during the next 30 to 40 years.

www.power-technology.com...
edit on 14-3-2011 by ConsentioExpono because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Arkansas Nuclear One

On April 25, 2010, following the completion of a refueling outage, Arkansas Nuclear One, Unit 1 was at approximately 20-percent reactor power determined by heat balance (approximately 30-percent reactor power indicated on nuclear instrumentation (NI)) and holding to allow instrumentation and controls (I&C) technicians to calibrate the NI, which involves adjusting the gain on the NI excore detectors so that NI indicated reactor power level matches the reactor power determined by heat balance. To prevent the integrated control system (ICS) from automatically moving control rods in response to the changing input of NI reactor power level from the gain adjustment, the calibration procedure first directs a control room operator to place the control rod station in manual. The I&C technician who was implementing the procedure stated to a control room operator, “We are ready to place ICS to manual.” The control room operator responded, “ICS is in manual.” However, this exchange did not result in the operator placing the control rod station in manual and it remained in automatic. When I&C technicians subsequently adjusted the gain on the NIs, control rods automatically withdrew for approximately 38 seconds and resulted in an automatic reactor trip because of high reactor power (49.55 percent NI indicated reactor power) and high RCS pressure. The rapid event succession did not afford operators time to complete diagnosis of the rod withdrawal and initiate manual corrective action.

The causes of the event included failure to follow the NI calibration procedure, miscommunication between the I&C technician and the reactor operator, failure to conduct a pre-job brief, and lack of supervisory oversight. Additional information is available in “Arkansas Nuclear One—NRC Integrated Inspection Report 05000313/2010003 and 05000368/2010003,” dated August 5, 2010 (ADAMS Accession No. ML102180209).

nucpros.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Arkansas Nuclear One Unit 1

Published: Jan 1, 2007
By JAMES LAUGHLIN

Arkansas Nuclear One (ANO) Unit 1 steam generator and reactor vessel closure head replacement received the 2006 Best Nuclear Project of the Year Award. ANO Unit 1 is a pressurized water reactor owned and operated by Entergy Operations Inc. The 911.5 gross MW plant initially achieved commercial operation in 1974.

SGT LLC, a Washington Group International Inc./AREVA NP joint venture company, with support from Arkansas Nuclear One Power Station, replaced the equipment at Entergy Operations’ Arkansas Nuclear One power plant in Russellville, Ark., in 78 days and 21 hours, establishing a new breaker-to-breaker outage record for Babcock & Wilcox (B&W) once-through steam generator designs. The previous record for such a replacement on a B&W design was 84 days, also set by SGT. The replacement scope included a containment opening and polar crane uprate project.

In addition to the record-setting installation time, the team achieved several other notable successes on this project. The outage was completed with no lost-time accidents, the fit-up of both steam generators to the reactor coolant system (RCS) was achieved on the first attempt and the RCS piping welds were completed with no rejects after non-destructive examination by radiography.

The aggressive project schedule led the project team to implement innovative approaches that enhanced the schedule and work productivity. The first innovation was to use single-sided welding technique for the RCS pipe welds on the replacement steam generators. The second was implementation of a computed radiography process (sometimes referred to as digital radiography) to perform radiographic weld examinations. Both processes were first-of-a-kind applications on a U.S. nuclear plant.

Welding on carbon steel RCS piping with internal cladding is traditionally done using an involved and timely four-step process that requires welding on both the inside and outside pipe surfaces. The single-sided weld technique used in this project allowed all welding to be performed from outside of the pipe. This process resulted in significant advantages over traditional welds, including reduced welding time, reduced radiation exposure, smaller weld volume and fewer weld inspections. Because radiation safety is enhanced by eliminating or reducing activities in high contamination areas, such as inside RCS piping, not only was radiation exposure reduced, but so was the overall RCS welding schedule. This resulted in a cost savings of approximately $500,000.

The welding process’s success has far-reaching implications becase it now may be used for future applications at ANO and other plants where accessibility to the inside of the RCS piping is limited or dose prohibitive.

Computed radiography, the second innovative technique used by the ANO team, uses phosphor imaging plates in lieu of radiographic film to perform radiographic weld examinations. A computer system scans the exposed image plates and produces a digital image for software processing and evaluating weld quality. In October 2004, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) approved the process as an alternate to film radiography. The benefits were significant during the ANO project: 30 percent to 60 percent shorter exposure times; use of less powerful radiation sources; reduced personnel radiation exposure from plant source terms; no environmental issues with chemical capture and disposal (film development); less time required to obtain results; and the ability to view images from remote locations with the applicable software.

www.powergenworldwide.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity.
Entergy is the second-largest nuclear generator in the United States.
Entergy delivers electricity to 2.7 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas.
Entergy supplies natural gas to approximately 189,000 customers in Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

www.entergy.com...

Entergy Arkansas, Inc.
Entergy Gulf States Louisiana, L.L.C.
Entergy Louisiana LLC
Entergy Mississippi, Inc.
Entergy New Orleans, Inc.
Entergy Texas, Inc.
Entergy Nuclear
Entergy Solutions LLC
Entergy Solutions District Cooling, LP
Entergy Thermal, LLC

www.entergy.com...

Wedgewire versus Cooling Towers

The EPA has begun consideration of a rule that would require cooling towers to be installed at all power plants, designating this as the best technology available for cooling water intake structures. As it currently stands, this proposed rule would not take into account either site-specific factors or cost-benefit analysis. This issue is of particular interest at Entergy’s fossil and nuclear plants, and at the Indian Point Energy Center, a plant that supplies sizable amounts of low-cost, virtually pollution-free electricity to downstate New York, in particular.

Requiring cooling towers would have numerous affects including:

The construction and integration of cooling towers typically costs hundreds of millions of dollars.
The initial cost to consumers for implementation of cooling towers on U.S. nuclear plants alone is estimated at $37 billion to $122 billion.
Construction of the two cooling towers for the two units at IPEC alone is estimated at $2 billion including lost revenues while shutdown for cooling tower installation.
Constructing cooling towers at IPEC alone, due to difficult site conditions, would require a 42-week unit outage.

www.entergy.com...

March 14, 2011
For Immediate Release
Entergy
[email protected]
504-576-4238

Entergy Statement Regarding Recent Events in Japan

www.entergy.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   

edit on 14-3-2011 by kennylee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I just posted this over in the Alternative Predictions thread that a few of you visit. But considering so many have pets, like Susan and Westcoast (to name a couple), pets who show certain behaviors prior to earthquakes... I figured it would be good to share it in this thread as well.

A friend just sent me a link to this video. I think it validates what many people believe and see within their own animals and their behaviors prior to something happening. Something to definitely pay attention to!!!

I don't understand or read Japanese, but as pet owners and lovers, we don't need to understand it. The message was made crystal clear by this poor little kitty.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

www.nrc.gov...

Approx 20 Reactors within the proposed EQ & Flood zone. All between 20-40 yrs of operation.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Kenny, after a day and a half of steady quakes around 2+ magnitudes. Today everything seems much more quiet.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Dont worry There is an Earthquake Center at St. Louis University, the Indiana Univeristy Pepp Institute professors and students all over the globe watching every movement. Memphis usgs is not the only one watching. After what happened in Japan, no one is going to ignore important data, Someone will call them out. There are too many educated people paying attention now.
but.... Talking about scary... Who knew there are so many nuclear power plants are in the united states? wow I am from coal country and I honestly did not know there were so many. The other thing I thought was weird is someone on here said someone was on CNN saying there was a big fault line in Guy, Arkansas? what?
Yeah there are people lying to cover their asses. for sure... but there are good and bad people in every organization. They know who they are. God will sort them out.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kimsie

The earthquake center at St. Louis University monitors a lot, but not Arkansas as of yet. The thing is, these areas are being watched, but no one is ready to warn.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

good one on animials and quakes sorry if it was posted but i dont remember it

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

When I played that video all my cats alerted, they could hear a cat in distress but could not find it. They looked cautiously out all the windows. Still looking after 5 minutes.

I just hope they warn me when they should!

Thanks for that.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

And the plans are moving ahead full steam. Check out this post I just made for Burntheships, it is so important and I cant scream this loud enough, it is relevant to this thread and possibly even one of the ways all those bodybags will be filled in the near future.

Here's the big thing. I have been screaming at the roof tops for the past several days how the shareholders of the US backed and Internationally funded plans for Nuclear plants both new and the security of the old ones are in the forefront of discussion even after the Japanese situation with the cooling units on these plans in the event of a natural disaster.

Just caught on PBS how Switzerland as well as Germany have put a halt on all plans for their part in building new facilities based on current information on the cooling systems and their vulnerabilities.

US still plans to move forward!

BTS this is the ultimate in Stupidity and far beyond irresponsibility and lack of concern for the lives of millions of people who will be affected when San Andreas and New Madras not to mention impending situations based on the upcoming Solar maximum, Tornadoes, Tsunamis, hurricanes to mention just a few possible threats to National Security.

I will stop here but God knows I have so much more to say on this, Japan was a wake up call, and only those with the highest of calling and responsibility are paying attention rather than blindly moving forward with these asinine plans which you know as well as I the funding has already been promised and spent.

top topics

<< 184  185  186    188  189  190 >>

join