It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 186
<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

EDIT_just read the newest posts. Thank you for clarifying USGS. I understand now.
I use a weather radio all the time. I would like an earthquake radio.

On CNN yesterday the former head of FEMA (Witt? Watt?) talked about the Guy, Arkansas fault and how it is quite large. Surprised me.

The USGS is worthless and I personally believe they don't want to alarm anyone.

The house shivers or I get woozy and I go to USGS. They tell me much later what I felt. Many, many are NOT being reported. What angers me is that I look crazy by complaining, emailing TV and radio outlets, and telling people. Much later I find out there WAS a quake. Yeah, thanks.

God bless you, Robin, Puterman, TruAmerican, Susan, crazydaisy and all those who are keeping this thread alive with info.

St. Louis is being hit with snow and icy rain. More water and more instability. We have a lot of saturation. This is helping conduct the quake movement.

By the way-1:16 PM, swaying here

edit on 3/14/2011 by katfish because: apology

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Let me just say this, you are right and that we have the chance to monitor at all openly is a blessing for us.

Where i get my info is in watching all these types of threads over several years with great interest. I have listened to or read when members such as your self spout out anger and frustrations with how the information is supplied or not supplied in some cases.

But going back a few years seems to have been the real tipping point for loss of information or information which is slow or even not accurate.

I have read and listened to professionals lament over the changes in their updated systems.

Yes you are right that it is fortunate we can access this information and connect the dots, but I personally believe that the USGS and other organizations have critical long range information that they are withholding, info that could potentially save millions of lives if they knew how to prepare properly in advance.

They know and what we are grateful to get is simply a watered down version.

Do not mean to cross you or anger you, or make you read a whole lot of non sense, so if you feel completely different about it, then we will find common strength and ground regardless, we are a team.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

No, don't get me wrong, I was not angry or feeling crossed!

I am very grateful to all the organisations that put out data for us to use. Personally I do not believe that they withhold any information - at least as far as earthquakes go - since I can see what they have and I can download the waveforms and check for myself. If I really needed to I believe I could get the versions that they use - I have looked in to this. I don't want to do it because I don't need to basically.

I do get very frustrated when there are breaks in the service or they are being very slow, but I do not believe this is because they are hiding anything. I realise that you understand this but let me say it once again............

Without the USGS (and associated organisations) we have no information at all.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
When a earthquake happens in the middle of a continent, strange things happen.

en.trend.az...

I am convinced I know what is happening with the Arkansas fault. Sorry for the anology, it's gross, but I told a friend and it works.

Imagine a gaping wound. Spread wide open, but there is no more blood flowing because it has clotted to prevent disease for entering the wound. But the wound has not yet started to heal. It is fresh. If you were to watch the wound closely, you would see it open close from the bodies systems. Breathing would open and close the gaping wound. And the pulses from our blood system would also make the mouthshaped injury move, making it seem like the mouth was talking. I saw the wound in Arkansas open and close. It moved. The pulses from the massive Japanese thrust fault is resonating the Arkansas fault.

At the moment I am curious about recent mid-continental earthquakes. Especially the ones right after the 9 pointer.

The swarm is still active. The trend seems to show slowing activity.

Puterman, I just read your post and must add. I agree, it's just that there is lots of room for improvement. And they need a better public relations person. Too many misconceptions.

Like the fact that more than half the population of the United States doesn't realize Yellowstone can possibly cause a super-eruption. Someone is failing to educate Americans. And it's not me, I'm trying my best.

The same can be said of you. You educate. You just need to add a spoonful of sugar when you're trying to force-feed someone medicine. You don't have to be Mary Poppins, just tell them you like their hats.

edit on 14-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks

There was a 2.6 magnitude, yet it wasn't posted until today. I was under the assumption that the USGS was alerted when the computer generated a report showing a quake with a magnitude greater than 2.5. Then the geologist would review it and post it. I figured no one was going to post a quake in the middle of the night. But then they weren't following up later in the day. So, this means if there is a bunch of quakes in the middle of the night, or on weekends, there will be no timely updating.

The Earthquake Center in Memphis has ONE analyst.

Let me say that again.

ONE analyst who is responsible for locating events that occur in Ark., Missouri, Kentucky, Tenn., Alabama, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Virginia, Mississippi, Illinois, Georgia, etc. A normal year in the New Madrid area would be about 250. Last year she located over 1000.

The USGS is generally only a back up for the earthquake center when the magnitudes are close to 3.0 and above.

There are no automagically located earthquakes by the University right now. The data must be downloaded for every event and the location calculated by picking p waves, s waves and codas. Then is it manually sent out and appears on the USGS website. The USGS does have the capability of auto locating the lager events but then the analyst at Memphis relocates and adds additional stations to improve the location.

The analyst works most weekends and does get out of bed for the larger events (3.0 and up) but they are not technically 24/7. The is NO overtime pay or an occasional week off since there is no one to take her place. Wouldn't you love to have her job.

The USGS is amazing. Did you see how many events they processed for the Japan event? They are not holding anything back.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by JadedDreams

There was a 2.6 magnitude, yet it wasn't posted until today. I was under the assumption that the USGS was alerted when the computer generated a report showing a quake with a magnitude greater than 2.5. Then the geologist would review it and post it. I figured no one was going to post a quake in the middle of the night. But then they weren't following up later in the day. So, this means if there is a bunch of quakes in the middle of the night, or on weekends, there will be no timely updating.

Let me say that again.

ONE analyst who is responsible for locating events that occur in Ark., Missouri, Kentucky, Tenn., Alabama, N. Carolina, S. Carolina, Virginia, Mississippi, Illinois, Georgia, etc. A normal year in the New Madrid area would be about 250. Last year she located over 1000.

The USGS is generally only a back up for the earthquake center when the magnitudes are close to 3.0 and above.

There are no automagically located earthquakes by the University right now. The data must be downloaded for every event and the location calculated by picking p waves, s waves and codas. Then is it manually sent out and appears on the USGS website. The USGS does have the capability of auto locating the lager events but then the analyst at Memphis relocates and adds additional stations to improve the location.

The analyst works most weekends and does get out of bed for the larger events (3.0 and up) but they are not technically 24/7. The is NO overtime pay or an occasional week off since there is no one to take her place. Wouldn't you love to have her job.

The USGS is amazing. Did you see how many events they processed for the Japan event? They are not holding anything back.

With all of the talent here it would be interesting to see if a volunteer reporting program would help matters. Just a thought.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Second Non-Coastal US EQ

MAP 2.9 2011/03/14 20:24:52 41.775 -108.726 1.9 WYOMING

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 14-3-2011 by ConsentioExpono because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Current Wyoming Quake:

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by ConsentioExpono

The Wyoming quake got removed. It fooled me too. I posted it on Quake Watch.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by JadedDreams

I am in no way disputing the accuracy of your account. What's your source? It sounds like you know the lady.

I believe everything you said. This is because it matches exactly with what I have deduced and imagined. I know the state of the USGS monitoring because I have inquired into how they alert when Yellowstone is having a hissy fit and there are earthquakes.

It doesn't shock me. But it should shock everyone living in the area. So if there is a hundred magnitude quakes all over the Mississippi River, and this lady is somehow indisposed, maybe she suffered a fall in the shower and is unconscious or dead, god forbid, there will be no one posting or assessing the situation.

I wonder if the UGSG would know if there was hundreds of quakes if Memphis didn't?

Well that ought to give you the harsh reality of the systems responsible for any alerts. The geologists will be in a state of catch-up, not busy alerting the citizens.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

And THIS my friend, is why we need to continue to look out for each other....

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Funny. Fall the shower... No they would get someone to take up the slack and work her job until there was a replacement. There are several other staff who are qualified. Don't worry.

And they are working right now to automate the system it just takes awhile to set up.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by antar

No, don't get me wrong, I was not angry or feeling crossed!

I am very grateful to all the organisations that put out data for us to use. Personally I do not believe that they withhold any information - at least as far as earthquakes go - since I can see what they have and I can download the waveforms and check for myself. If I really needed to I believe I could get the versions that they use - I have looked in to this. I don't want to do it because I don't need to basically.

I do get very frustrated when there are breaks in the service or they are being very slow, but I do not believe this is because they are hiding anything. I realise that you understand this but let me say it once again............

Without the USGS (and associated organisations) we have no information at all.

PuterMan... in case you do not know this, please allow me to make it clear. I absolutely respect and appreciate everything you contribute, along with your statements and theories. There have been many times you have come into a thread and calmed my nerves, as well as many others.

I also appreciate and respect your opinions of the geologists and scientists that work for the USGS. With that, I think we all have to acknowledge the fact that the United States Government has the final say on what information is released to the public that resides in this country. ESPECIALLY if a dire event is imminent.

Our country is failing miserably economically. Our individual states are falling in line with that failure. We are on the brink of a financial disaster in this country, that has never been seen before.

Not only would mass panic ensue if ANY kind of alert were to be issued regarding an imminent event... but mass exodus would occur as well. Could you imagine if HYPOTHETICALLY SPEAKING... they had avanced warning of a quake such as what just hit Japan, hitting the state of California? What it would take to "evacuate" MILLIONS of people in a calm, orderly fashion? In a specified short amount of time? Transporting, housing, feeding all these people? We are not only looking at billions of dollars being required to do this, but IF even such a thing is actually feasible.

I don't envy anyone within the government, ever having to make such decisions. But come on. This is the same government that put school children through drills in the 1950's & 1960's during the Cold War, teaching them that the safest place to be if a nuclear bomb were dropped, was under their desks. This is the same government that took air samples of areas surrounding the twin towers right after 9/11, stating the air was clean and there was nothing to fear. Only to find out 10 years later, AND ADMIT, they lied and were wrong. Causing people to die, and people who are continuing to die, from the air they breathed back then. And this is the same government who has stated since the BP Oil Spill in the Gulf Of Mexico, that everything is fine. The air is safe. The ocean is safe. The ground is safe. The seafood is safe. Yet people are now ill from it, getting sicker by the day, and sadly even starting to die. And that was just last year.

If those working for the USGS did not have the "almighty fist" of the government looming over them, I would be a lot more inclined to believe there is nothing to hide. I hope and pray to God that there is nothing to hide. But hoping and praying is not going to save me or my loved ones if/when TSHTF.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   

I took the training to become a storm spotter. I would happily take the training to be an earthquake detector.

My mother in law worked with the Red Cross tirelessly for years to educate people about self-help in emergencies. Both my folks trained me to watch for Mother Nature.

We need an active and aware citizenry who are trained and unafraid.

Sign me up.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Mind-boggling. One woman to supervise all of the Midwest with 2 active faults.

Okay, we need volunteers who are trained. ASAP. I will see if Memphis and the USGS is interested.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

The Wyoming quake got removed. It fooled me too. I posted it on Quake Watch.

OM Gosh I saw that. I went back to look at the Wyoming, 3. quake & it's GONE.
(following these threads closely/ thanks to all for the updates & info!)

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I have to agree without them we would not have what we do have. I too get frustrated at feeling quakes and them not showing up, however I have also found that even on a few of the smaller ones when I reported feeling something, something did get posted.

I have tried to take a break from here, GEE, 3d earthquake viewer, etc....the past couple of days and have gotten on a few times to read thru threads on here and see what I might have missed but have not stayed on long or on facebook. I was near Mt. Magazine today visiting my elderly mother and sister and they felt a quake night before last and I felt one while I was there today. I was a little anxious coming home as to what I might find when I got here. I have a couple of pictures that are tilted on my walls but nothing that seems major that I have noticed. My ears are still ringing and there is rumble in the distance and very light shaking not rattling windows like it has been though.This may still be some of the quakes in Japan still coming through. USGS doesn't have much up for today so far for this area, but I have a feeling there was one closer to the 3.0 range, I don't know what time to post its occurance at but at least if I can call attention to something happening today then possibly the will go back and look at the data and add it in. That is why it's important to report them all if we can.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JadedDreams

Funny. Fall the shower... No they would get someone to take up the slack and work her job until there was a replacement. There are several other staff who are qualified. Don't worry.

And they are working right now to automate the system it just takes awhile to set up.

No offense intended, but you didn't answer Robin's question. What's your source for this information? How do you know this to be fact?

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

I don't know for sure but I felt the post was very personal, like about a close friend or family member.
I felt this due to the details and passionate defensive posting. Someone rather close to this person for them to know all those habits, etc. So, I'm thinking they may be hesitant to reveal info about that person due to the close relationship. I could be all wrong though.

posted on Mar, 14 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
If you do a search for USGS staff in Memphis, I for one can't really find much information.

However, I did find this - www.eas.slu.edu...

So it looks like Memphis isn't the only place watching, right?

There is quite a bit of interesting information that might have been posted before on the USGA site, but I'm posting again for those who might have missed it.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 3/14/2011 by Karalyne because: typo

top topics

<< 183  184  185    187  188  189 >>

join