It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 183
<< 180  181  182    184  185  186 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by maybee

LMAO!!! You beat me to it
My aunt lives in Kentucky, and she said she felt a GENTLE sway too, but no GENITAL sway
I'm sorry, not making fun of anyone's typos, it was just so funny though! No offense Cowboy....damn I needed that laugh!
edit on 13-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-3-2011 by StealthyKat because: sp

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by katfish
reply to post by CLPrime

I feel absolutely hideous today with a very rare large headache, left side of my face hurting, ears full, feeling stupid. I have done nothing in the past 3-5 days to bring this on. This whole past week I have felt "off".

Noticing that the outside door is "off' by a bit, a window seal has popped, and there are cracks along the seams of drywall in our new addition.

Hens not laying and hunkering down.

Something's up. No doubt about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Hi Robin....I am just curious....are you a geologist or do you just know a lot about this kind of thing?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Earthquakes relieve the strain that exists in rock strata. Each quake dissipates the kinetic energy that was stored in the rock. This morning my mind is on the total seismic energy being released on a week to week basis in Arkansas. Is it varying each week or remaining more or less the same? Is it increasing or decreasing?

On any given week a lot of small unreported quakes might add up to what a fewer larger quakes would look like on another week. So how would one go about assessing what the total energy dissipation has been? I think we would have a better idea of what is happening if we knew the answer to these questions.

If there is a lot of variation in each week, that would seem to be a random release of energy that built up over a long period. On the other hand, a steady release might indicate a more immediate result of constantly developing strain.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I know there are real things going on, but I think a lot of these strange feelings we are having are just that the things going on right now, coupled with the Japan crisis, are getting to us. At least in my case. I am in Louisiana, and I keep thinking I "feel" a slight swaying feeling.....but I am not even in the New Madrid Fault area. I am just very nervous and anxious and hyper sensitive, and I think that's where it's coming from....just a foreboding feeling. Not saying EVERYONE is suffering from stress, but it could be. Seeing what happened in Japan, and knowing it could happen in Arkansas is very scary, and it causes stress and feelings of uncertainty. At the same time, I cannot stop thinking about it.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
I didn't feel anything here in Memphis either. But I have to say it's pretty annoying that the USGS isn't reporting these small quakes that continue to occur.

Candy Crowley (CNN) discussed possibilities of a major quake on the New Madrid fault this morning with a seismologists today, asking if this area would be able to withstand a quake anywhere a 8 or 9 magnitude...

he replied with a resounding "NO"

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I am not siesmologist. I am not a geologist. I'm just a guy who was doing some research for a book on volcanoes. I've been trying to understand volcanoes and earthquakes over the last five years.

Puterman was giving us updates on cumulative energy and bar graphs with the spikes in activity. But he must be busy. There is an increase lately. But before that it has stabilized and was slowing. Before that it each cluster was less energy than the last.

I have plotted the latest 2+ magnitude quakes. They are running up and down the fault. They started in the south and travelled northward along the ENE trend and then back again. It's probably safe to say in the last 24 hours, the whole fault moved.

All this movement will be loading another part of the fault. That's why I suspect a larger quake. Maybe it's just settling before relaxing again.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Thanks! Well I think you are doing an excellent job....maybe you missed your true calling.
Thank you so much for all the work you put in to help people make sense of this.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by pls8xx
Earthquakes relieve the strain that exists in rock strata. Each quake dissipates the kinetic energy that was stored in the rock. This morning my mind is on the total seismic energy being released on a week to week basis in Arkansas. Is it varying each week or remaining more or less the same? Is it increasing or decreasing?

On any given week a lot of small unreported quakes might add up to what a fewer larger quakes would look like on another week. So how would one go about assessing what the total energy dissipation has been? I think we would have a better idea of what is happening if we knew the answer to these questions.

If there is a lot of variation in each week, that would seem to be a random release of energy that built up over a long period. On the other hand, a steady release might indicate a more immediate result of constantly developing strain.

Yes and no. It all depends on what kind of fault it is.

Q: Can you prevent large earthquakes by making lots of small ones, or by "lubricating" the fault with water or another material?

A: Seismologists have observed that for every magnitude 6 earthquake there are 10 of magnitude 5, 100 of magnitude 4, 1,000 of magnitude 3, and so forth as the events get smaller and smaller. This sounds like a lot of small earthquakes, but there are never enough small ones to eliminate the occasional large event. It would take 32 magnitude 5's, 1000 magnitude 4's, 32,000 magnitude 3's to equal the energy of one magnitude 6 event. So, even though we always record many more small events than large ones, there are never enough to eliminate the need for the occasional large earthquake.

As for "lubricating" faults with water or some other substance, injecting high pressure fluids deep into the ground is known to be able to trigger earthquakes to occur sooner than would have been the case without the injection. However this would be a dangerous pursuit in any populated area, as one might trigger a damaging earthquake.

USGS Source

What is a fault and what are the different types of faults? USGS Source

Wisegeek article about smaller quakes not relieving pressure

This last article is a really good one put together by the University of Michigan, with a lot of great information.

Earthquakes & Society - University of Michigan

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by katfish

I'm so glad I found you people!!! My husband is apparently a "sensitive" too. He's always "felt" when something was going on in the family, someone was sick or died, things like that. But lately he's been feeling "weird". A family member had a massive heart attack about two weeks ago and was shocked back. My husband was startled out of a sound sleep, and said he felt like he couldn't breathe. We found out later that was when the family member had the heart attack. There have been a number of times things like that have happened.

But this is a different kind of feeling. We were talking about it Thursday night. I told him maybe he could sense the Arkansas earthquakes. (We're in PA) Then later he came into the room and said he was so dizzy he felt like he was going to pass out, his head felt like it was going to explode, and his left eye felt like it was going to pop out. (What's with the left side stuff??) The news about Japan had just come on TV right before he came into the room and he didn't see it yet. He feels better, but not back to normal yet.

I've felt like I want to jump out of my skin for a while now, but no physical symptoms yet. I am getting a crazy amount of shocks though. I went for groceries yesterday,and everytime I reached for something I got a pretty strong shock, either from the shelf or a can! It was really annoying! Anything metal I get close to, and people and animals. The pets and grandkids didn't want to get close to me! And after seeing those videos of peoples' cars catching fire when they pump gas, I'm not even pumping my own!!! Anyone else getting shocked?

Also I've spent the last half hour trying to find the sight for small quakes for PA, like Robin posted for Ark. I've been on USGS for two years, but not having any luck. Maybe there haven't been any. Any suggestions?

I posted a while back that I heard the "Seneca Guns" fifteen minutes before the Chile earthquake. A little while before the news of Japan's quake came on, it sounded like the frame of the doorway was making cracking noises.(second floor). I thought I was imagining things. Even joked to myslf that Chile must be having another quake! If I Ihad known what was coming, I would have gone outside to see if I could hear anything! Now I'm wondering if we are on a fault line too! You can bet, any unusual noise I hear from now on will get my attention!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

\Been getting shocks for years-worse this winter. Even in St. Louis' humidity, I get shocks from sliding out of the cars.

Back on thread-
looks like a 15 min lag between quake and USGS putting it up. New one in Japan 17 mins ago. Mag 5.1
Good to know in light of the rumblings in Arkansas. I think USGS is not putting them up to keep citizens calm.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

west texas , just now showing was over a hour ago Usgs is off automatic listing

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Fritzthecat

Look at Puterman's map of Texas quake on Quake Watch. It's right near oil/gas wells.
And there's been another 2+ in Arkansas. Will post when listed. That's 8 in about 12 hours. With dozens more smaller than that which won't appear on the lists.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

half way down.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wasobservingquietly

You should take a look at this thread

An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction

117 pages long but your husband's experiences would be of interest there for sure.

Direct link to the Texas post by the way
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 13/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I see you said there is a problem with the WHAR seismo (in my signature). There is a huge spike. The version in my signature is no good for today.

Use this one for the next 2 hours

Looks busy Robin but not serious. Looking at some charts and things now. See what I can manage.
edit on 13/3/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks, we can't wait to read the whole thing!

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Ok I have started my log. This morning about 01223 this exercise ball that was in the middle of the floor just started rolling around in a circle...it was 15 feet either direction of a vent or anything that could have made it blow. it rolled east made a circle to the south went in a complete circle and rolled back to its original spot about 12 inches away. My head was hurting and eyes were full of pressure, my husband looked up from his puter and just said whoaaaa wth is going on. I went to bed about 2 slept 2 hours not very well and woke up again. Had earpressure at 1030ish followed by twitchy left eye driving to Fayetteville. About 1510 was inside B & N bookstore and got anxious and thought we gotta get outta here told husband check out we gotta go. Good thing he has been psychic for many years otherwise he would have just thought I had lost my mind. Didn't check ATS or other sites till we came home as we had friends with us that I did not want to alert. 1750 i keep feeling restless, with chest tightness feeling like my heart is racing ..its 96 which is faster than normal for me but I can't seem to get rid of the anxious feelings...4 dogs in my lap with the old dog making circles and the rotty running from front door to back door and panting but its 67 degrees in here so she shouldn't be hot. I really hate this impending doom feeling and it really makes me feel like a total paranoid idiot. No I don't have a history of any mental illness and paranormal has always been the norm in our house, but this just makes me uneasy.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ur44lois

Where are you at geographically?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by UtahRosebud

Excellent idea!! I had considered that last night, but didn't do it. Next update to resources will have its own thread, with link posting in a reply. Update will be out in a day or two. Should have trusted my instincts. As we all should begin to listen to our inner selves when it comes to being prepared.
Back in Feb around the full moon there were discussions why activity ramped up days preceding and just after. Ebbs and flows of activity are being coming clear. Now that I have been watching and learning, I see a distinct pattern as well. Watch for activity the day before, day of, and day after the full moon so we get another month of observation time in relation to lunar affect on the swarm activity.

It's gonna be active all week, IMHO.

edit on 13-3-2011 by SunflowerStar because: imho

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by premierepastimes

I'm in Rogers/Bentonville Arkansas area that's NWA

new topics

top topics

<< 180  181  182    184  185  186 >>

join