It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earthquake Swarm in Arkansas Intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee could be epicenter for the next big one

page: 181
<< 178  179  180    182  183  184 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Before the 4.7 earthquake in Arkansas that I felt, I had a bad, bad feeling that I couldn't place in the hours beforehand.

Before the Japan disaster, I had bad headaches every morning for almost 2 weeks...yesterday morning I woke up without one, and also today without one, right after the quake hit. It's like the pressure in my head was building up and then let out with the earthquake.

Tonight, I have another bad feeling. Let's hope it's nothing to worry about. But it is the same feeling, except worse I feel...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Sorry, I just recently started using this site so I'm not the best at linking, hope it works. While, yes, it pertains to Japan, there is information in that link that might explain A LOT of what is going on around the world, including Arkansas. The numbers are amazing... and just downright scary.
edit on 13-3-2011 by HadEnough because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
There was quake in Arkansas around 9:13 UTC. There is no listing yet. They appear to be 2.5- 3 magnitude.

Did anyone feel it?

edit on 13-3-2011 by Robin Marks because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

Yes. The house rumbled very slightly, kinda like it thundered, and the rumble was low in volume and lasted 5 seconds or so.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by HadEnough

Are you watching the webicorders?
Keep a list and write down the times you feel quakes.

Are you feeling anything this morning?

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
We're near east Shelby county and every so often in the past couple of days, sometimes felt like a settling or slight vibration in the house. Wasn't sure if it was just my mind playing tricks or not. But once last week, I noticed when I felt it my cat's ears went straight up. I think she sensed something too.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

If you feel vibrations or a quake, it would help if you keep a list with times.

That quake took five hours to list. What is going to happen when, in the middle of the night, there is a series of dozens of quakes? I guess you'll have to wait. So don't trust being updated by the USGS. I know many of you have alerts for your email or on your phones. If you are thinking this will be an early warning, you're wrong.

They are slow to update. And if it happens in the middle of the night, you'll be waiting until morning.

The trend has changed somewhat and there is an increase in the microquakes.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

No I don't watch them. I'll check them out soon though, but I already find myself consumed with this. I'm afraid if I get much more into it I'm going to become overly paranoid (in my opinion, a little paranoia is good in times like this) and that's just not something I want to do. Today I have to get ready to go into the hospital tomorrow so maybe when I get to come home I can start to follow them.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I didn't feel anything here in Memphis either. But I have to say it's pretty annoying that the USGS isn't reporting these small quakes that continue to occur.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Actually, don't follow them on the webicorders. It may make it worse. Just keep a list with times.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I hate saying this, but it's true. You cannot trust the USGS.

The Arkansas swarm has been occuring since early in the fall, and there were quakes before that.
During a public meeting in the fall, Scott Ausbrook's told the meeting the quakes could be natural. He explained that there could be a link with the injection, but that there was no proof.

Scott Ausbrook repeated this statement right up until the emergency meeting. Even though there was enough evidence to conclude a high likelyhood that the injection was to blame. Scott Ausbrook, just before the emergency meeting, was saying that it would take another six months to determine if the injections were to blame. He was willing to let the injections continue while he and the USGS did some more studies. If it wasn't for the political pressure, he and the USGS would be content to keep the injection wells pumping. Stupid.

There is nobody up in the middle of the night watching the activity. So if there is a significant rise in microquakes, you won't know until much later. There will be no early warning. If any at all.

So, rely on yourself. Set up something that will fall in the event of a series of quakes as an early warning. Remember Katrina.
There are systems set up to warn of tornados, but the same kind of systems are not set up for earthquakes.

I don't like saying any of this. I don't want to upset anyone. But I don't see an active system to keep you notified if anything developes quickly. You'll have to wait until a siesmologist wakes up and decides to check the graphs.

Stay safe. Stay prepared. Don't stress yourself. Just be aware.

Here's the list. There were four quakes last night 2+. None of these were posted for several hours.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Right now, things have quieted down somewhat.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I was wondering about this as I felt a swaying here in Eastern KY at 9:09 AM this morning but could not find anything on any of the USGS showing any quakes . It is the first time I have felt anything other than mine blast which this was not . It was just a genital sway of maybe three times while I was quietly siting in my computer chair looking at the web & I have to say I don't know weather we could feel small quakes from ARK or not I've never before & I've been on this forum since page one . Any one know of a small quake close to eastern Ky near the Va boarder that was not logged to USGS ?
John

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by kentuckycowboy2

I was wondering about this as I felt a swaying here in Eastern KY at 9:09 AM this morning but could not find anything on any of the USGS showing any quakes . It is the first time I have felt anything other than mine blast which this was not . It was just a genital sway of maybe three times while I was quietly siting in my computer chair looking at the web & I have to say I don't know weather we could feel small quakes from ARK or not I've never before & I've been on this forum since page one . Any one know of a small quake close to eastern Ky near the Va boarder that was not logged to USGS ?
John

I am by no means a spelling Nazi, but I'm guessing you meant a "gentle" sway.

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Was just looking up nuclear power plants for the US was concerned whether or not AR had some, and low and behold there is one in Russellville. Was a lot surprised that there are many in the Louisiana Gulf Coast/Mississippi area.
Check this link:
www.insc.anl.gov...

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I've revised my assessment. It has not really quieted down.
Another one around 2 magnitude.

I am not a registered siesmologist. I am not a geologist. I just watch.
I am not confident that this will lead to a larger quake in the very near future.
I will not speculate.
But I am urging you to keep being vigilant.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
LOL! I needed a laugh today, good catch.

Heck maybe he means exactly that, sometimes I surf the net while in my birth suit. Either way thanks for the smile today.

Originally posted by maybee

I was wondering about this as I felt a swaying here in Eastern KY at 9:09 AM this morning but could not find anything on any of the USGS showing any quakes . It is the first time I have felt anything other than mine blast which this was not . It was just a genital sway of maybe three times while I was quietly siting in my computer chair looking at the web

2nd line.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Realtruth
LOL! I needed a laugh today, good catch.

Heck maybe he means exactly that, sometimes I surf the net while in my birth suit. Either way thanks for the smile today.

Originally posted by maybee

I was wondering about this as I felt a swaying here in Eastern KY at 9:09 AM this morning but could not find anything on any of the USGS showing any quakes . It is the first time I have felt anything other than mine blast which this was not . It was just a genital sway of maybe three times while I was quietly siting in my computer chair looking at the web

2nd line.

Hehehe ... thanks for that. Thats the first time i have raised a smile after such a horrific weekend.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by kentuckycowboy2

My very best, non-expert, purely spectator guess, would be that your feeling some of the waves from Japan, or other quakes going on around the world. In my above post, I linked an article stating that Japan has moved by 8 feet. Once again, I am on the opposite end of the spectrum from expert, but if there is that much movement over there, it's going to affect things everywhere. The Gulf of California has had several decently sized quakes since Japan started up. And as far as the USGS site goes.. they are under reporting things. I have even seen large events posted, then later gone without a trace. If something happened by you that was less than a 2, they probably won't report it anyways (because under normal circumstances most people don't feel it, so they think they can keep in all 'hush-hush.')

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

It is a sad thing to not be able to depend on the USGS when the information they are supposed to provide to us we depend on to make informed decisions. If it wasn't for this thread and your input Robin, we would be at the mercy of the powers that be and their corruption. This thread has provided us with a ton of information to get us on track and keep us there. I know I can say for myself that it has changed the way I am dealing with what will eventually come.
You have been a blessing to us that live in the danger zone that did not understand what was happening.

I am going to get off topic for a second, but your stating 'remember Katrina' and watching the Japan tragedy makes me want to say this...
Don't wait for another day to get your emergency action plan together. Do it ASAP. Plan ahead. Living on the Gulf Coast, we always had forewarning and mandatory evacuations to get out of town when a hurricane was imminent. With earthquakes, there is no such luxury. When electricity is out, you can't get gas or money from an ATM. Have an emergency stash on hand. Try to keep your tank filled. Remember that bridges and overpasses are unstable after a quake. Think of a route to get you out of danger that will not be roadblocked. Families need to have a meeting place if the quake occurs while everyone is at work or school. Doing this in advance will save a lot of stress since phone lines and cell phone towers are likely to be down. After Katrina, I had no idea where family members were, since cell phone towers were down and even texting took a day to go through. If you don't leave or can't, have enough food, water, and prescription and over the counter meds for two weeks, as well as first aid supplies.Hospitals and first responders will be overwhelmed, if you need emergency care, you may be on your own to get help. Remember not to leave out your pets and provide for them too! If you do leave, be prepared for the emotional shock when you are able to return. I cried for a month after Katrina...seeing my home and community destroyed was unbearable. Keep in mind that jobs will most likely be lost as businesses are shut down, hopefully just temporarily. Finding work temporarily will be something you may be faced with, as well as living out of town for a while until the situation gets better. If you have children, they are very vulnerable when this occurs. Give them lots of love and reassurance, and include them and their ideas in every step of your plan. And listen to their fears and concerns. These are just some general ideas to think about as these are the situations that we will be faced with should the New Madrid erupt.

posted on Mar, 13 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I came across a great study done in china, it looks into methane gas induced Quakes.

Earthquake-induced unusual gas emission in coalmines — A km-scale in-situ experimental investigation at Laohutai mine

In the present study, a km-scale in-situ experiment was carried out at Laohutai coalmine in Fushun city, China, to investigate the possibility of earthquake-induced unusual methane gas emission in coalmines. The motivation of this study was attributed to the observation of a series of coalmine gas explosion accidents in China and the incidental strong earthquakes that seemed to be related to these accidents. Laohutai coalmine was chosen as the experiment base because of its high methane content in the coal body and its past and current active rockburst activities. The mechanisms of rockbursts and earthquakes are the same, i.e., both are violent failure of rock masses and geological structures due to stressing or straining. Detailed microseismic event and gas content monitoring programs were carried out at the mine site and combined with field inspection by experienced engineers, a large amount of data were collected and analyzed. It is revealed that there is a good correlation between rockburst and high methane gas emission events at the mine site. High gas emissions have been observed before, during, and after rockburst events. Therefore, an analogy can be made from the findings of this study, i.e., unusual gas emission can happen in coalmines before, during, and after an earthquake. When gas content is high and all boundary conditions are met, both rockbursts and earthquakes can trigger unusual gas emission, and sometimes the gas gushes are violent enough to fit into the category of gas outbursts. On the other hand, gas gushes can also trigger rockbursts in coalmines. This type of rockburst, which is called gas outburst rockburst, is triggered by the coupling between the unloading of the porous material and the gas storage structures and the expansion due to desorption of methane gases. A fractal relationship between seismic energy and influence radius is derived. It is suggested that methane gas emission warnings could be provided to coalmines located within the influence radius when releasing earthquake risk warnings.

could this Rockburst (as i highlighted in bold) also pertain to Ark? key thing that sticks out to me is this "due to desorption of methane gases"
edit on 3/13/2011 by -W1LL because: underline

top topics

<< 178  179  180    182  183  184 >>

join