Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Senate Votes to Extend Patriot Act Provisions for 90 Days, House to Vote Soon

page: 1

join

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
There are 3 provisions set to expire at the end of this month, and the Senate, wanting more time to debate the provisions, voted 86-12 to extend them 90 days to allow this. Thankfully they didn't vote on the 3 yr or permanent legislation, and this 3 month deal is better than the House's 6 month extension passed earlier.

The House is expected to call for a vote, which should happen on Thursday.

Senate Passes 90-Day Extension of Patriot Act

The Senate has passed a 90-day extension of Patriot Act with 86 ayes and 12 nays to allow more time to work out a longer term solution for three expiring provisions in the anti-terrorism bill. It now goes to the House. If Congress does not act the provisions would expire at the end of February.

"Extend it to May. It will give us time then. It's very important that it not expire," said Senator Dianne Feinstein Chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. "It gives us more time because there are three different bills and a lot of stuff going on and you can't sort it out. So this will give some time."

House prepares for another Patriot Act vote this week

The House as early as Wednesday will vote on a bill allowing a three month extension of Patriot Act surveillance authorities.

The Senate on Tuesday approved a three month extension that allows the government to continue to access business records, conduct roving wiretaps, and monitor individual terrorists until May 27. In doing so, the Senate ignored other Senate proposals allowing for three-year or permanent extensions.

Hopefully the legislators will be flooded with demands to end these provisions, I do expect the government to keep up their claims that the US is at the highest risk levels since 9/11, to try and help scare everyone into believing that these provisions are vital in their efforts to keep us safe. BOO!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Glad to hear this, we may just have a chance of these bills ultimately failing, I have been getting newsletters from my Representatives and Senators and they are against extending the Patriot Act.

new topics

join