It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Middle East protests - live updates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Middle East protests - live updates

www.guardian.co.uk

• Libya - clashes in the eastern city of Benghazi
• Bahrain - demonstrations enter third day
• Iran - President Ahmadinejad says protests are doomed

Like the other countries in the Middle East and North Africa in revolt, Libya has its own Facebook protest page.

A recent post (in Arabic) is urging "all the youth of Tripoli" to go immediately to Omar Mukhtar Street. It seems to be saying that there are no military battalions in the Libyan capital at the moment, only security forces, which would tie in with comments on Twitter that the regime has been taken by surprise by the prot
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
It appears that Egypt has started a "trend" in the mid east, as protests against governments kick off in FOUR countries including Yemen.

The link provided gives LIVE updates, as they happen regarding the protests, which I expect to spread across more countries dissatisfied with their regimes/governments.

It appears that all this is being driven by dissaffected youth, and younger people as they organise protests via social network sites and mobile communication devices.

Also in the firing line after Tunisia and Egypt revolts, are Algeria, Jordan and Syria, as it appears a wave of popular opinion and revolt sweeps the region.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 16/2/2011 by budski because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Vitchilo already covers the Middle East for quite some Time here . No need for a Second Thread.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Really protests are everywhere its just that the media only covers what they consider to be the loud ones, where protests are ignored eventually they build up in to something more substantial. In countries where our tummies are still full the revolution is intellectualized, sadly were mostly all happy in our comfort zone. Will this comfort zone be completely removed by man or by nature? I suppose time will tell which road we take but eventually both roads end in the same place.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Breaking news, different forum - this is for live updates from a respected news source, as they happen, and with things moving VERY fast.

This is no longer simply a mid east issue - this has the potential to affect us all, no matter where we live.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

This is really looking like 1989 all over again.

In a sense, Mubarak was the Berlin Wall. With his fall, the revolutionary wave will continue to spread and intensify.

Its going to take probably two years to see how all of this turns out.

I would bet by 2013, that most of the current regimes in the Middle East will fall and we will see fragmentation of national territory and civil war at least in one of those countries. Within six years or less, I bet we will see some NATO intervention somewhere in the region.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

the tent was from iran and the ' sillent 3 milion people marching ' in the of the spring

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Hey Mikeboyd - long time no see

I think you are spot on there - these protests are spreading rapidly, and there is huge potential for change.

Hopefully for the people of the region, that change will be for the better.

More:

There seems to be a sense of frustration that the protests in Benghazi, Libya's second biggest city, have not caught on in the capital Tripoli, even though tomorrow is supposed to be the big day for demonstrations to commemorate the failed uprising against Gaddafi in 2006:

ShababLibya

guys in Tripoli get out onto the streets, start with 100, or we will see a massacre in #Benghazi, its now or never, #Libya #Feb17

EEE_Libya

@freetelw yes in Tripoli #libya. Nothing but staged [pro-Mubarak] protest now going on here. Tripoli wake up!!!!!!

11.24am – Bahrain:

Protesters arranged themselves on the Pearl roundabout to spell out the slogan "down with the regime", according to Maryam Alkhawaja, head of foreign relations at the Bahrain Center for Human Rights.

She posted this picture to Twitter with the caption:

They wrote with humans "yasqe6 alnedham" down with the regime in #martyrssquare #bahrain #feb14

By most accounts the protests in Bahrain were peaceful before shots were fired by the security forces, and yet the British Foreign Office has called on both sides to exercise restraint (it trotted out the same line on Egypt at the start of the protests).

Alistair Burt, the minister for the Middle East and north Africa, said:

I am concerned by the reports of excessive use of force by police during demonstrations in Bahrain that led to the death of two protesters. I call on all sides to exercise restraint and refrain from violence.

The UK will always support, and speak out in defence of, the right to peaceful protest and freedom of expression. It is now critical that the Bahraini government moves quickly to carry out its commitment to a transparent investigation into yesterday's deaths and any alleged human rights abuses.

When he was in Bahrain last week the foreign secretary raised the importance of open, plural societies, and of promoting universal values. I welcome the progress that the government of Bahrain has made on political reform in the recent past, but it is essential that this process continues to meet legitimate aspirations for greater political and social

source

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I think for the vast majority of the people, things will be better, with liberal progress.

There will probably be a Yugoslavia though, but I havn't quite figured who that might be yet.

Currently, I'm leaning towards Iraq being the Yugoslavia, meaning Iraq fragments, after a Kurdish uprising, into three countries and war. Civil war and the break up of Iraq could lead to number of developments, like regional war, that I'm sure NATO will work to prevent.

Hopefully the Kurds get their freedom too out of all this.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

Fair enough
Though i have pretty much given up to try to follow everything after Egypt. Too much going on now.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Yep, Iraq is a worry, and they already have a sectarian war going on.

I think a lot depends on what happens in Iran, and if the Saudi royals look like falling there will probably be US intervention, either on their own or more likely in a coalition under the guise of a UN peacekeeping exercise.

IMO Iran and Saudi are the big players here, with Iran the more moderate Islamic government, and a semblance of democracy that Saudi doesn't have.
Of course it's a lot more complicated than just the Royals in saudi, and old tribal conflicts could quite easily come to the fore, especially as wahhabi'ism is probably the most extreme interpretation of Islam, amongst the major sects.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   

12.04pm - Libya:

Al-Arabiya TV and AFP (via Zawya.com) are both now reporting 38 injured in the violence in Benghazi, citing medical sources in the city.

11.56am - Libya:

The artist, Muhammed Al-Amin, and the author and poet Habib Al-Amin have been arrested in Benghazi, according to @EnoughGaddafi on Twitter. Another writer, Idris al Mesmari, was reportedly arrested in Libya's second largest city, hours after a telephone interview with al-Jazeera in which he told the television station:

"I am scared, really scared. The regime's cars and thugs are attacking us. They're attacking Libya's youth. They're using hot water cannons."

Live Updates

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by budski

I think both of those governments will end up falling.

In Arabia, I would bet a pro Western military regime comes to power. I don't think we will have to intervene there.

Iran could be very different. I think the government may become more hardline and they have shown they have what it takes to really oppress the people if need be. The current system could fall to something even more radical and nationalist.

I don't think Iran will be really liberated without outside help.

My biggest worry is that Iraq falls into a civil war and a new hardline Iranian regime intervenes in Shia Iraq.

The new military regime in Arabia would respond and regional war would follow. I think the liberal progressive Arab states would probably unite to drive the Persians out of Iraq. Of course we, the US/NATO, would side with the Arab coalition too. (Note: the Israelis will probably be on the sidelines, but Palestine will get independence) Turkey would be wise to stay out of Arab territory during the chaos, if not the new liberal states will rally together against them and Turkey might get expelled from NATO.

I think a progressive revolution could topple Iran's government, once they are sufficiently weakened by defeat.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

The Iranian question is a complex one - the protests there are relatively small, and are being led by people who are on twitter, responding to US calls to foment unrest.
We know that the US sponsors what would be called state sponsored terrorism if the boot was on the other foot, and has contact with cells in Iran which have committed acts of terrorism - there has been accusations of the US supplying these cells as well, and lets face it, the US and UK have quite a bit of history when it comes to Iran, and overthrowing their governments, going back to the 1800's, then carving up the region (for oil) in the 1920's, before overthrowing a democratic progressive government in 1953 led by Mossadegh and installing a puppet in order to better control the resources of the country.

So with that in mind, I take western media sources about unrest in Iran with a pinch of salt, although there is little doubt that some people there are unhappy with the government - but we could also say that about the US and UK.
The difference is that Iran is not actively fomenting and supporting with various tools, the unrest in our own countries.

Saudi could well be a powder keg, and it's extreme version of Islam, along with a complete lack of any democratic process, not to mention support of terror groups means that the US should really be focussing their attentions there - but Suadi still trades oil in dollars, so that seems unlikely until unrest occurs there, if it ever does.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Iran:

AFP - Iran warns of action as opposition remains defiant

TEHRAN — Iran said Wednesday it is planning to take action against opposition leaders after MPs demanded they be executed, as the two former regime pillars defiantly launched fresh anti-government tirades.

Clashes meanwhile erupted between regime backers and "apparent" supporters of the opposition at a funeral attended by thousands in Tehran of a student killed in anti-government protests of Monday, state television reported.

Iran's prosecutor general Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejeie warned that action would be taken against opposition leaders Mir Hossein Mousavi and Mehdi Karroubi, who reject the presidency of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and who had called for Monday's demonstration which turned deadly.

BBC - Iran unrest: MPs call for death of Mousavi and Karroubi [video]

Iran protests – your views [videos of protests]

Live: Mid-East protests

According to the Fars news agency, Iran's prosecutor-general Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi says Tehran will punish those who masterminded Monday's protests, saying: "Elements behind this incident should be punished since riot, insecurity, damage to public properties and invitation to chaos cannot be ignored."

Iran's regime calls for a demonstration on Friday to denounce the "evil" opposition movement, AFP reports quoting state TV.

The BBC's James Reynolds reports on the controversy surrounding the funeral of Saneh Jaleh, who was killed during protests on Monday: "Exactly what Saneh Jaleh was doing during Monday's protests - and how he was killed - has now become the subject of great argument in Iran between the establishment and the opposition. State TV has called Mr Jaleh a government supporter and a member of the Basij - a voluntary paramilitary force associated with the establishment. The government says that he was shot dead during Monday's protests by opposition demonstrators. But opposition supporters say that he was actually a protestor and was killed by the authorities."

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

2.51pm: The Libyan security apparatus is doing its best to stop any further protests, according to Libyans on the ground.

ShababLibya

Live blog: Twitter

according to Libya Today,there have been a large number of arrests in the eastern city of Al Beida, families have lost contact #Feb17 #Libya

taimurian

[Confirmed] .. Facebook, Twitter, Aljazeera.Net, Alarabiya.Net and Youtube are blocked now in Libya #libya #feb17 #benghazi #egypt

Live Updates

Good grief - don't they ever learn???

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   

The BBC World Service is reporting two dead in Aden, Yemen.
Live blog: recap

4.23pm: Here is an evening summary:

• Bahrain: Thousands of protesters have continued to demonstrate at Pearl roundabout in the capital Manama. Our reporter there says there are signs of growing anger at King Hadad, who is seen as responsible for propping up the Sunni-based establishment. Thousands of people took part in a funeral for Fadhel Al-Matrook, a protester shot dead at funeral of another protester yesterday. The US, Britain and the UN have expressed concern about the violence. A government minister reportedly acknowledged that the two killings were "catastrophic" (see 3.11pm).

• Yemen: A sixth day of protests against Ali Abdullah Saleh, the president, was broken up by pro-government supporters bussed in to the capital Sana'a. Up to four protesters were injured, and 2,000 police deployed to break up the clashes. There have also been protests in other cities such as Aden and Taiz (see 3.01pm). Saleh responded by saying "chaos, wrong mobilisation and irresponsible utterance via media" was not the way to "reach the power" (see 3.38pm).

• Iran: Students and academics have been arrested in a raid at a university in Tehran. A state news agency reported clashes between government supporters and protesters after the funeral of Saane (or Sanee) Zhaleh, who was killed in protests on Monday (see 3.34pm). Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the president, said the protests were doomed to fail.

• Egypt: Protesters are planning to gather in Tahrir Square on Friday to mark a week since Hosni Mubarak, the president, stood down (see 3.03pm). A coalition of activists have released a list of candidates they would like to see in the transitional government (see 3.14pm). Both moves are intended to put pressure on the army, which took control after Mubarak's fall.

• Libya: Up to 38 people have been injured in the city of Benghazi after protests about the arrest of a civil rights campaigner and critic of Muammar Gaddafi. There are reports that critics of Gaddafi have been arrested.

• Morocco: Protests are planned for Sunday (see 3.23pm).

4.04pm: France will not allow in Tunisian immigrants without a valid visa, the government has said, according to Reuters, days after thousands of illegal migrants from the country began arriving in Italy.

"Visa rules will apply to Tunisia, all visa rules and nothing but visa rules," government spokesman Francois Baroin told reporters following a cabinet meeting. "There is no question of welcoming other immigrants who do not respect the rules on visas."

3.59pm: Commenter Numa, who has been posting several updates reportedly from within Bahrain, posts this report about the internet in Bahrain, which we can't confirm:

Internet extremely slow in Bahrain. When I called to my provider to complain I was told it was a "global problem" all over the island with every service provider. I asked if it had to do with the demonstrations. I was told it had. I asked further. Is the govt controlling the internet access – "Yes sir, sorry sir."

Live Updates

Looks like it's all kicking off.

This is going to get very interesting, especially if more countries start having protests.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Per Foxnews 2 Iranian warships passing through suez canal and Israle warning it may act.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Per Foxnews 2 Iranian warships passing through suez canal and Israle warning it may act.

www.foxnews.com...

That can't be good...

Looks like it might really go off, although my guess is that the Iranian ships are a direct responce to what Iran sees as US provocation - tweeting people to foment unrest in another country isn't on, and if another country did that to the US there would be uproar, so they are (perhaps) putting some pressure on the US via Israel.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Colonel Muammar Gaddafi is confronting the most serious challenge to his 42-year rule as leader of Libya by unleashing his army on unarmed protesters.

Unlike the rulers of neighbouring Egypt, Gaddafi has refused to countenance the politics of disobedience, despite growing international condemnation, and the death toll of demonstrators nearing 100.

The pro-government Al-Zahf al-Akhdar newspaper warned that the government would "violently and thunderously respond" to the protests, and said those opposing the regime risked "suicide".

William Hague, the UK's foreign secretary, condemned the violence as "unacceptable and horrifying", even as the Libyan regime's special forces, backed by African mercenaries, launched a dawn attack on a protest camp in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.

Britain is scrambling to extricate itself from its recently cosy relationship with Gaddafi, initiated by then prime minister Tony Blair in 2004. That rapprochement saw Libya open its doors to British oil companies in exchange for becoming a new ally in the "war on terror" while Britain sold Gaddafi arms.

source

This is the kind of person our governments align themselves with.

Libya currently has a net blackout as protesters are shot and gassed.

The more people we get on board to protest against this vile treatment, the sooner TPTB will take notice that we will NOT sit idly by and watch innocents be murdered for the sake of holding up some tinpot dictator.

It's happening all over the mideast - and unless a stand is made it can happen to you too.

Just ask the workers of Wisconsin - their governor wants to take away the rights of workers that our ancestors fought and died for, all because of the greedy oil rich Koch's, who have lined his pockets.

new topics

top topics

join