It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google accessing ALL of your information... with your permission.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I found this posted on CNN. Article stamped February 15, 2011: 5:51 PM
Google's Schmidt: Android is saving the world

"We now have all of the world's information at our fingertips," Schmidt said in a keynote address at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. "I'm not sure it will prevent war, but it will produce a lot of talking before war starts."

Google trying to be the arbitrator for war talks?

Schmidt thinks all of that information sharing will serve as the sunlight that disinfects the world's tyranny and corruption.

For instance, Schmidt envisioned a scenario where you would enter the task "buy pants" into your smartphone. Based on your shopping history, Google (GOOG, Fortune 500) knows you like deals. It also knows where you are, since your smartphone has GPS. Your phone instructs you to go to a store near you that happens to have a great deal on pants, and Google tells the store to hold the pants at the counter for you.

Oh, and you just tap your smartphone onto a reader at the store to pay, since Google has all of your credit card information.

The CEO mentioned the phrase "with your permission" five times during the presentation. He also said Google is "very careful about privacy" and that "not everyone will choose to do this."

But he followed that thought with this one: "For those who do, the more your phone knows about you, the better."

[Searched article title, found nothing]
[Opinion]
This just doesn't sit right with me. Information can always bend to those who use it for gain. It sounds more like a corporate international big brother scenario. It also stated that soon it will monitor your health and keep up to date on your conditions as they happen. Is this too far?
edit on 16-2-2011 by ALLisMIND because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2011 by ALLisMIND because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
It reminds me of propaganda, like someone very poorly trying to pull the old Huckleberry Finn "If you give me that shiny coin, I'll let you paint my fence" routine. Only this time -

They also want you to feel good about you paying for devices which completely thwart your privacy.

S+F

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
And the television drones on and on about all the new products and technologies trying to convince us that these things enhance our lives or that we can't live without them.
Our consumerist-centric offspring will be beating a path to get just one device that can do it all for them.
Sunday's comics had a kid scraping his windshield with the cellphone then asking mom for a replacement.

WE may see this as an intrusive incursion to our liberty and freedom - but hundreds of millions will willingly jump on this as a convenience or vanity item and give their permission to access all their personal data.

ganjoa

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I for one welcome our new Digital Overlords. When skynet becomes fully operational, life will be much better/

Sarcasm aside this is concerning, even more so since they have ties to the NSA.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I just don't know if it's even worth stating my opinion to people that are for this intrusion. All the red flags are flying, and anyone who cares about their privacy should be offset enough to turn this down. Why is there so much interest? Is it going to log how much you are sitting at your computer? Figure out your favorite restaurant and sell your information to them, on the basis that it is 'for your easement and well being' and getting you good deals? Record your sexual activity should it log sound? Sure every business needs to make money, but ethical money, not easy money.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
"with your permission" what a farce,

your told that the only phone worth buying is a nice smart phone, you can go android or iphone, either way what happens is

you turn the device on for the first time and it tells you first and foremost to accept the terms and conditions, which is 50 pages of tiny text on a 3 inch wide screen, burried somewhere in there is where they ask your permission, of course you must accept the t&c,

if you dont accept then you've just bought an expensive smart paperweight,

i bought the very first android phone the day it was released, (tmobileG1) and it pulled this same stunt, it even forced me to get a gmail account, not aloud to use my own phone without getting a gmail account,

what he realy means by with your permission is none of their products will work without it.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It's just another method of data mining. What do you think happens every time you use your frequent buyer/sales card at a grocery or department store? The information is stored for future use for personalized coupons and the such.

However, having that information on hand is not something that inspires security in me. In fact, it's the very opposite.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Yes, indeed, Google does save all your search history, and they read your email if you're using gmail. They make no bones about it, they are the biggest information collector on the planet.

I don't really know what you can do about the Android thing... but I do know there are some good alternative search engines. My favorite is startpage dot com, (formerly ixquick) and they recently launched the new startingpage dot com, which uses google technology, but doesn't record your IP address.

new topics

top topics

join