It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Analysis of Violent Deaths of Iraqi Civilians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I am not quite sure how to start this post, so I will just start with the article.

ScienceDaily (Feb. 15, 2011) — A paper published in this week's issue of PLoS Medicine provides the most detailed assessment thus far of civilian deaths in the course of the recent Iraq war. Madelyn Hsiao-Rei Hicks from King's College London, UK and colleagues analyzed data from Iraq Body Count (IBC), a nongovernmental project that collates media reports of deaths of individual Iraqi civilians and cross-checks these reports with data from hospitals, morgues, nongovernmental organizations, and official figures.

The authors studied 92,614 Iraqi civilian direct deaths from the IBC database that occurred as a result of armed violence between March 20, 2003 and March 19, 2008. The authors found that most Iraqi civilian violent deaths during this time were inflicted by unknown perpetrators, primarily through extrajudicial executions that were disproportionately increased in Iraqi governorates with greater numbers of violent deaths. Unknown perpetrators also used suicide bombs, vehicle bombs, and mortars that had highly lethal and indiscriminate effects on Iraqi civilians. Deaths caused by Coalition forces of Iraqi civilians, of women and children, and of Iraqi civilians from air attacks, peaked during the invasion in 2003.

I can't even wrap my mind around that many dead bodies. I don't care what color, race, creed, religion, etc etc. you are... this is eye opening. Civilian deaths are a sad reality of war, and a major reason to not enter into wars willy nilly.

Detailed analysis of civilian deaths during wars can improve the understanding of the impact on vulnerable subgroups in the population, such as women and children. In order to assess this impact further, the researchers calculated the proportion of women and children among civilian deaths identified as men, women or children. This proportion is termed the "Dirty War Index" (DWI), and indicates the scale of indiscriminate killing in a conflict. The most indiscriminate effects on women and children in Iraq were from unknown perpetrators firing mortars (DWI = 79) and using nonsuicide vehicle bombs (DWI = 54), and from Coalition air attacks (DWI = 69). Coalition forces had a higher DWI than anti-coalition forces for all weapons combined, and for small arms gunfire, with no decrease over the study period.

The fact that we even have a term such as "Dirty War Index" is tragic IMO. Yes people were killed before we went to war. The war only escalated the violence we felt we needed to "rescue" these folks from since the WMD's are still MIA. Governments all over the world walk around with the attitude that you have to break a few eggs if you're going to make a cake. Easy to say if you have no dog in the fight.

I'm not debating whether the war was right or not. I have the highest regard for our troops who were not given a choice but to go. I just wanted to put this out there. Because we knew there had been civilian deaths, but a lot of us didn't know the magnitude. It's a dirty shame so many innocents on both sides became casualties of a war no one but the elite wanted.

When all is said and done and one side claims victory, I hope both sides see that there is no victory to be had on the backs of women, children, and other innocents.

You can read more here..
www.sciencedaily.com...
edit on 2/15/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

In my book, these numbers solidify the title of War Criminal for Karl Rove, Dick Cheney, G. W. Bush and anyone else who was integral in the planning of this war under false pretenses.

Yet these monsters will most likely never see a minute of jail time for these crimes. Instead, they parade around as keynote speakers at events like they've accomplished something great. Makes me sick.

What a bunch of filthy, cowardly, ego maniacs. The most pathetic scum of the earth living large like kings and heralded as heros. It's the perfect twist to the plot of a Twilight Zone story except that we actually live in the middle of this insanity.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
When people make the comment about Iraq being "better off with Saddam" this is the argument against that idea.
Saddam kept order in Iraq and prevented sectarian violence such as this from happening.
Few of these deaths are related to coalition forces.
93,000 is an absolutely staggering number of deaths and I pray the violence there ends soon.
Our (the US) invasion has stirred up a hornet's nest and our failure to seize arms if a big part of the reason for this.
It makes me wonder if this was not the outcome the Pentagon desired.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

I am inclined to believe that even IF the Pentagon didn't actually inend this outcome, they certainly are not losing sleep over it.

new topics

top topics

join