It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Lets talk about the good old days,I double-dog-dare-ya!

page: 4
11
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos
 


Your a little late uk today already posted that video..The video is a bit over the top i agree but some of it i find nothing wrong with and thanks for the reply




posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Hi cookie! I'm back!
Got a few more remembers fer ya!
We had a guy come around from Duncan yoyo every spring at the corner drug store and show us the latest tricks. They were made of wood in those days. Now they make them out of plastic and changed the shape.Remember the first time I asked the old man for an allowance. Looked at me out of the corner of his eye, cocked his head and said in his fatherly tone of authority," Sure, here are your allowances.I allow you to live in this house, I allow you to eat 3 squares a day,I allow you to wear nice clothes and I allow you to help your Mom. If mom says that your doing your chores & homework I'll give you some quicksilver". Dad always gave it to me in change caus he said a guy should always have a jingle in his pocket. He called it quicksilver caus the quicker I got it, the quicker I would spend it.
remember gettin a job washing cars at the local gas station between cuttin grass. wasn't to bad caus most people in those days washed there own, if they had one. Most of it was for the older folks.remember I mentioned some girls played in the outfield when we couldn't get enough guys? Well one of them was startin to get real friendly and something strange was begining to happen caus I was starting to take a liking to her. Well you can figure out the rest. That's why i took the car washin job.I was needing a lot more money than the jingle of quicksilver. I was needin the rustlin of the paper. Wow, girls cost a lot of money! (still do)
Remember another job i had. We had an old bowling alley on the second floor of the 5 & dime that housed the dreaded tv tube tester.I worked as a pin setter setting ten pins.You had to do it the old fashion way. they had a floor pedal that you steped on and it would project these metal rods out of the floor.the the pins would have a hole in the bottom and you would set the pin over the rod and release the pedal and you then would have your pins reset for the next frame.
One night some jerk kept riding me all night.Hey kid, can you go any faster, hey kid my granma can move faster than you and she's been dead for 20 yrs, and on and on all through the night. So on the last roll, Before I sent the ball back on the return rack I packed the thumb hole of his custom fit bowling ball with a big wad of Fleere's bubble gum that I had been chomping on all night. Needless to say that was the end of my career as a pin setter.
That's all for now cookie. Save some stories for later.



posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
Hi cookie! I'm back!
Got a few more remembers fer ya!
We had a guy come around from Duncan yoyo every spring at the corner drug store and show us the latest tricks. They were made of wood in those days. Now they make them out of plastic and changed the shape.Remember the first time I asked the old man for an allowance. Looked at me out of the corner of his eye, cocked his head and said in his fatherly tone of authority," Sure, here are your allowances.I allow you to live in this house, I allow you to eat 3 squares a day,I allow you to wear nice clothes and I allow you to help your Mom. If mom says that your doing your chores & homework I'll give you some quicksilver". Dad always gave it to me in change caus he said a guy should always have a jingle in his pocket. He called it quicksilver caus the quicker I got it, the quicker I would spend it.
remember gettin a job washing cars at the local gas station between cuttin grass. wasn't to bad caus most people in those days washed there own, if they had one. Most of it was for the older folks.remember I mentioned some girls played in the outfield when we couldn't get enough guys? Well one of them was startin to get real friendly and something strange was begining to happen caus I was starting to take a liking to her. Well you can figure out the rest. That's why i took the car washin job.I was needing a lot more money than the jingle of quicksilver. I was needin the rustlin of the paper. Wow, girls cost a lot of money! (still do)
Remember another job i had. We had an old bowling alley on the second floor of the 5 & dime that housed the dreaded tv tube tester.I worked as a pin setter setting ten pins.You had to do it the old fashion way. they had a floor pedal that you steped on and it would project these metal rods out of the floor.the the pins would have a hole in the bottom and you would set the pin over the rod and release the pedal and you then would have your pins reset for the next frame.
One night some jerk kept riding me all night.Hey kid, can you go any faster, hey kid my granma can move faster than you and she's been dead for 20 yrs, and on and on all through the night. So on the last roll, Before I sent the ball back on the return rack I packed the thumb hole of his custom fit bowling ball with a big wad of Fleere's bubble gum that I had been chomping on all night. Needless to say that was the end of my career as a pin setter.
That's all for now cookie. Save some stories for later.


Hi 43LEO729 I'm glad your back

It neat how the Duncan yoyo man would come around and show you the latest tricks they sure don't do anything like that now..well now days its all on tv what people are trying sell and of course the net.. but that must have been fun to go and watch.. last summer i bought a old wooden Duncan yoyo it was well used the color is blue but mostly wore off and there was no string and i can't figure out how to restring the darn thing and I'm sure i payed to much money for it lol..
I love the stories you tell about your dad he sounded strict but fair but I'm sure back then he sounded mostly strict to you..I bet he was just waiting for the day you would come to him asking for an allowance i love that he called pocket change( quicksilver)and the reason for it..I use to get my allowance and spend it all on candy or just plain junk and they would say to me you should save your money for something nice but i never did it always burned a hole in my pocket

But it sounded like you worked hard as a kid washing cars at the local gas station and cutting grass plus going to school ya don't see that much anymore..Oh and girls i figured they would come into your life and yes we do cost alot we like our dinners out and nice clothes i know i do..
I had no idea back then you had to set the the pins up by hand at the bowling alley guess i just never thought about it.. you must have been exhausted by the end of your shift plus sending the bowling ball back to the return rack sheesh !! I think its so funny what you did to that guy that for harassing you all night about being slow he deserved it lol i probably would have done the same thing!
Thank you so much for your story you made my night a whole lot brighter


edit on 20-2-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: bad spelling and just plain tired

edit on 20-2-2011 by sugarcookie1 because: more of the same



posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hi sugar!! Here we go again!

Remember when I was about 5, late 40's, a man came around with a black & white pony taking pictures.The pony had a real cowboy saddle with shiny silver buckles. You donned a cowboy hat, six shooter and holster. I think the picture is still around somwhere.
Remember when the Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey Circus came to town. I was maybe 10 or 11. My friends dad took us to the train station to watch them unload and caravan to the site that was a big dirt parking lot located at our local amusement park. This was a real 3 ring circus. All the kids where recruted to help raise the big top by holding down the tent with ropes as the main poles were raised. For our efforts we all got free tickets.A few years later Ringling & Co. closed their operation. Guess they couldn't make it go anymore. Sad because it was a great experience to be able to attend a real circus.
Remember when the fruit & vegatable vendor came around with a horse & wagon. We called them "huksters". Now you go to wally mart or whatever chain store you have in your area. And no, that aforementioned amusement park wasn't wallyworld.

Must go now. Be back again to bore you with my do-wop days!!!



posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
Hi sugar!! Here we go again!

Remember when I was about 5, late 40's, a man came around with a black & white pony taking pictures.The pony had a real cowboy saddle with shiny silver buckles. You donned a cowboy hat, six shooter and holster. I think the picture is still around somwhere.
Remember when the Ringling Bros., Barnum & Bailey Circus came to town. I was maybe 10 or 11. My friends dad took us to the train station to watch them unload and caravan to the site that was a big dirt parking lot located at our local amusement park. This was a real 3 ring circus. All the kids where recruted to help raise the big top by holding down the tent with ropes as the main poles were raised. For our efforts we all got free tickets.A few years later Ringling & Co. closed their operation. Guess they couldn't make it go anymore. Sad because it was a great experience to be able to attend a real circus.
Remember when the fruit & vegatable vendor came around with a horse & wagon. We called them "huksters". Now you go to wally mart or whatever chain store you have in your area. And no, that aforementioned amusement park wasn't wallyworld.

Must go now. Be back again to bore you with my do-wop days!!!


Hi 43LEO729 and welcome back!
You have had so many wonderful experiences and thank you for posting them!
I remember my dad showing me a pic of him as a kid on the same kinda pony with the cowboy saddle, holster and guns i got a chuckle out of that..
The Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey Circus that must have been a thrill to go do that and to get free tickets in i would have helped also just for that! I wonder why they went out of operation maybe the cost of travel and feeding the animals got to high i will have to look that up on google

I'm sure the fruit & vegetable vendor did well it was most likely all grown local and super fresh.I wish we still had that kinda thing.. wallyworld i try to stay out of that place everything in there is made in china lol ..
Hurry back you never bore me with your stories and I'm sure there a plenty that look forward to them also..
Be well my friend~~cookie



posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I warned you that I would be back!!

Gave you a little bit of wrong info about the circus. To my surprise they are still touring. what I got wrong was the fact that in the later 50's they stoped using the tent's.here is a link to ringling bros. www.ringling.com/
I guess you have to type it in. I don't know how to put it in here so you can clik on it and it will open up.

OK here we go. Remember when dad & i would spend an evening at the local high school ball field. we would watch the local little league and pony league's play. he was a baseball nut. he pitched in the minors for a few years.
we would catch ball in our back yard and he would drive me crazy with all of the pitches he would throw. Knuckle balls sliders, curves, off speed stuff that you wouldn't know where the heck they where going. Needless to say, baseball wasn't my favorite sport.Any way, next to the ball field was the local municipal bldg. It was also the home to the police station. One evening we stopped by the jail and my dad, knowing the chief of police, who was his friend,says to the chief "want to show him somthin". We go back to the jail cells and he says ' this is where you will live if you ever get out of line"! dad could be real suttle about things! Needless to say his point was well taken.I never took up residence in that place.
Oh. I added you to my friend list. You have a lot of posts. wonder if I could jump in on some of them?
I promised that I would tell you about my do-wop days but i am getting tired and these old eyes are begining to droop.
maybe I will do that the next time i come back if you wanna.
Rest easy cookie!



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I love this thread, reading everyones replies has made me homesick for those days. I remember playing hide and seek with the neighbor kids until dark, back when you knew all of your neighbors. Spending the summers running through the hay fields until it was time to get the hay in and how much I hated that job. I'd itch for days! As a matter of fact I live smack dab right in the middle of one of those hay fields now, surrounded by more and more houses every year. Sad.
I remember hearing about the duck and cover from my older brothers and sisters. My oldest brother decided he was going to build a bomb shelter so he had all the younger kids out digging a hole and he was going to bury my dads old 1940 travel trailer and the whole family would live there until all danger was past. Haha, of course dad put a stop to it when he found out what they were doing. My sister owns that travel trailer now, its affectionately known as the Twinkie by the family.
On weekends we'd watch Saturday morning cartoons and in the evenings we'd suffer through the news while my dad tried to hush us all so he could hear it. I'd climb up on the arm of my dads big Naugahide chair and suffer through the Lawrence Welk show so that I could watch Hee Haw with him and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I miss that.

Nine kids and one bathroom--I don't miss that.
The old soda machine at the dusty gas station down the street. You had to slide the bottles through a maze to get it out. Speaking of dust, all of the roads were dirt around these parts back then and it seemed to coat everything. The nostalgia is getting to me. I can almost smell that dust, even taste it. It must be time to get off the computer and go clean



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
I warned you that I would be back!!

Gave you a little bit of wrong info about the circus. To my surprise they are still touring. what I got wrong was the fact that in the later 50's they stoped using the tent's.here is a link to ringling bros. www.ringling.com/
I guess you have to type it in. I don't know how to put it in here so you can clik on it and it will open up.

OK here we go. Remember when dad & i would spend an evening at the local high school ball field. we would watch the local little league and pony league's play. he was a baseball nut. he pitched in the minors for a few years.
we would catch ball in our back yard and he would drive me crazy with all of the pitches he would throw. Knuckle balls sliders, curves, off speed stuff that you wouldn't know where the heck they where going. Needless to say, baseball wasn't my favorite sport.Any way, next to the ball field was the local municipal bldg. It was also the home to the police station. One evening we stopped by the jail and my dad, knowing the chief of police, who was his friend,says to the chief "want to show him somthin". We go back to the jail cells and he says ' this is where you will live if you ever get out of line"! dad could be real suttle about things! Needless to say his point was well taken.I never took up residence in that place.
Oh. I added you to my friend list. You have a lot of posts. wonder if I could jump in on some of them?
I promised that I would tell you about my do-wop days but i am getting tired and these old eyes are begining to droop.
maybe I will do that the next time i come back if you wanna.
Rest easy cookie!


Hello 43LEO729

Nice to have you back! hey you can come back as often as you like unless the mods decide to stop the thread i wish more had a interest in the good old days but they don't seem to so many think it was an abusive tI'me in history

Any how i went and looked at your link about the circus was a interesting read thanks..
And yes i have alot of threads going id love it if you were to come join in with anyone of them that interests you in fact id be thrilled
and thank you for adding me to your friends list its an honor..
I can understand why baseball wasn't my favorite sport the way your dad was throwing them id been afraid i was going to get bonked in the head lol
I bet that jail tour was scary had to have been you remember it even now..I have to ask is your dad still alive?
I'm off to bed myself been a long day..pm me sometI'me if you want to chat I'm always around

~~cookie



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Christarella
I love this thread, reading everyones replies has made me homesick for those days. I remember playing hide and seek with the neighbor kids until dark, back when you knew all of your neighbors. Spending the summers running through the hay fields until it was time to get the hay in and how much I hated that job. I'd itch for days! As a matter of fact I live smack dab right in the middle of one of those hay fields now, surrounded by more and more houses every year. Sad.
I remember hearing about the duck and cover from my older brothers and sisters. My oldest brother decided he was going to build a bomb shelter so he had all the younger kids out digging a hole and he was going to bury my dads old 1940 travel trailer and the whole family would live there until all danger was past. Haha, of course dad put a stop to it when he found out what they were doing. My sister owns that travel trailer now, its affectionately known as the Twinkie by the family.
On weekends we'd watch Saturday morning cartoons and in the evenings we'd suffer through the news while my dad tried to hush us all so he could hear it. I'd climb up on the arm of my dads big Naugahide chair and suffer through the Lawrence Welk show so that I could watch Hee Haw with him and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. I miss that.

Nine kids and one bathroom--I don't miss that.
The old soda machine at the dusty gas station down the street. You had to slide the bottles through a maze to get it out. Speaking of dust, all of the roads were dirt around these parts back then and it seemed to coat everything. The nostalgia is getting to me. I can almost smell that dust, even taste it. It must be time to get off the computer and go clean


Hi Christarella!
I live smack dab right in the middle of one of those hay fields myself i own a farm i know what the hay baleing days are all about same here with people moving in around us wasn't like that but alot of the farms were sold off or foreclosed on and the property was bought and parceled off to build homes

Your story about the travel trailer is just so funny and how you even named it ! I bet you do miss those days sounds like you had fun..I just saw a old rerun of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom that was a good show now we have animal planet..I think i was born in the wrong era i wish i could have experienced all of what you have ..And 9 kids in your family i cant even imagine it but i bet you were never lonely lol ..Hey thanks for posting your wonderful story!



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Christarella
 

Hi! enjoyed you thread. Thanks for jogging my memory about that crazy coke machine! Must have been a gas station thing. We had one at the station I worked at.
The hide and seek thing was fun at night. I lived in a mill town so we had a lot of houses,yards and alleys to hide in.
Did you ever catch lightning bugs and put them in a jar with grass? At the end of the night we would let them go.
dad had a friend who had a 150 acre farm and would send me there every summer for 3 weeks and I remember the hay barn qiute well. It was always a sneeze fest.
We had to go to the saw mill and get a load of saw dust in the pickup for the barn. My friend and I loaded it by hand and unloaded it by hand when we got to the barn. By the time we were done we were covered with saw dust and couldn't wait to jump in the creek. Thanks for helping bring back that memory.



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by 43LEO729
 


Oh my goodness, 43! I think we must be leading paralell lives, haha. I ended up working at that old gas station when I got older, unfortunately the pop machine had been replaced with one of them newfangled things by then. I did ask the owner about it one day and he said that he'd sold it at an auction a few years before. I sure wish I had that old rusty beast sitting in my house right now.
I, too, grew up in a mill town. My father worked as night watchman at the old mill and we'd take him lunch very late at night sometimes. My kids still mess around over at the old sawdust piles on their four wheelers and dirt bikes.
My grandpa's old barn featured a rope swing and it seemed like we spent hours and hours there playing when we were kids. Kind of wierd, but I opened a fresh box of tea bags not long ago and it smelled like fresh sweet hay and man did that take me back. I might just have to go stick a tea bag to my nose right now.

Sugar Cookie, this is a wonderful thread! Thanks for posting it!



posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Hiya Christarella

I'm so happy your enjoying this thread its alot of fun to read about others memories of those days ..And 43LEO729 is a hoot i look forward to his posts he has such wonderful childhood memories




posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

Oh no, not again!!


Remember we had a record store and they had booths where you could listen to a record.They were 45 & 78 's.
How about the local diner with the jukebox and a coin operated record selector in every booth.
Remember the drive in theater's and pulling out with the speaker still attached to the door!
Remember the ads for the consession stand during the changing of the reel's.Remember "intermission in a minute" and the minute by minute countdown untill the next movie started. Our feature film will start in 10 min. etc. Remember the swing set they had in front of the screen for the kids. How about the jerk that left early and blasted everyone with their headlight's, or the couple on one side having a fight and the one on other side with a screaming kid who should have been in bed 4 hours ago.

On every corner, in every city in America, was a bunch of guys that wanted to be the next dion & the belmonts or johhny maestro & the crests or any one of the great do wop groups of that era. Some were good, some bad and some were in between. We were at the bottom half of good and could hold our own. Well yours truely and his boys were not going to be denied their 15 min. of fame. Actually it lasted more than 15 min. but it was hard to keep them together for any length of time. We did record hops for one school year and that was about how long it lasted.
We had an amusement park that had no metal detectors and admission was free. Just walk in hit the rides and play some games. Remember the miniture golf courses with all of their wacky obstacles? Wonder if they have any today?
Eyes are getting tired. To be continued......
Plesant dreams cookie!!:



posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

Oh no, not again!!


Remember we had a record store and they had booths where you could listen to a record.They were 45 & 78 's.
How about the local diner with the jukebox and a coin operated record selector in every booth.
Remember the drive in theater's and pulling out with the speaker still attached to the door!
Remember the ads for the consession stand during the changing of the reel's.Remember "intermission in a minute" and the minute by minute countdown untill the next movie started. Our feature film will start in 10 min. etc. Remember the swing set they had in front of the screen for the kids. How about the jerk that left early and blasted everyone with their headlight's, or the couple on one side having a fight and the one on other side with a screaming kid who should have been in bed 4 hours ago.

On every corner, in every city in America, was a bunch of guys that wanted to be the next dion & the belmonts or johhny maestro & the crests or any one of the great do wop groups of that era. Some were good, some bad and some were in between. We were at the bottom half of good and could hold our own. Well yours truely and his boys were not going to be denied their 15 min. of fame. Actually it lasted more than 15 min. but it was hard to keep them together for any length of time. We did record hops for one school year and that was about how long it lasted.
We had an amusement park that had no metal detectors and admission was free. Just walk in hit the rides and play some games. Remember the miniture golf courses with all of their wacky obstacles? Wonder if they have any today?
Eyes are getting tired. To be continued......
Plesant dreams cookie!!:



Welcome back !!

Id love to have some of those old 45 & 78s now they would be worth some money like the old Elvis ones.
there is an old dinner down in the cities here that has the old jukebox coin operated record selector.but I'm thinking there not old just remakes but there neat!
Going to the drIve in's must have been alot of fun hanging out with friends i don't think there is any drIve ins left anymore but I'm probably wrong Ive never seen one..
See you were a cool cat you had a band what was the name of the band ? what instrument did you play? that must have been alot of fun!!
I love miniature golf we have one of those in our town with the goofy obstacles but I'm lousy at it but its good clean fun and alot of the families take there kids there for there family outings..
Thanks again for your wonderful memories i cant wait for the next post!
~~cookie



posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

To continue

We were called the customs and we sang. I played the guitar and drums in a band but that didn't happen till way later. Dad and his 3 brothers were musicians from the big band era. I live in Southwestern Pa. One of my uncles played locally in the band of a singer who would become very famous and popular. I'll let you research as to who that person was. Dad died while I was in the Army. I was about 19. He was only 49.
Anyway, remember cap guns that looked like a colt 45. you put a roll of caps in the gun and blasted away.
Did you ever have a kaleidoscope? They where a lot of fun.
Had a chain of grocery stores called A&P (atlantic & pacific) They had coffee grinders. It was my job to grind the coffee. I can still smell the aroma of that coffee today.
Have to go now, time to put the dogs in for the night.
See ya later



posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

To continue

We were called the customs and we sang. I played the guitar and drums in a band but that didn't happen till way later. Dad and his 3 brothers were musicians from the big band era. I live in Southwestern Pa. One of my uncles played locally in the band of a singer who would become very famous and popular. I'll let you research as to who that person was. Dad died while I was in the Army. I was about 19. He was only 49.
Anyway, remember cap guns that looked like a colt 45. you put a roll of caps in the gun and blasted away.
Did you ever have a kaleidoscope? They where a lot of fun.
Had a chain of grocery stores called A&P (atlantic & pacific) They had coffee grinders. It was my job to grind the coffee. I can still smell the aroma of that coffee today.
Have to go now, time to put the dogs in for the night.

Hi again!

I will have to do some research on your uncle
I use to have cap gun that looked like a colt 45 when i was a kid don't know if you can buy them anymore with parents so against guns but i loved mine i always ran out of caps to soon and begged for more..
Oh yes i had a few kaleidoscopes i even took one apart just to see how it worked i was bad for that
I love the smell of coffee and I'm also a heavy coffee drinker love the stuff! have a wonderful night


See ya later



posted on Feb, 27 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

To continue

We were called the customs and we sang. I played the guitar and drums in a band but that didn't happen till way later. Dad and his 3 brothers were musicians from the big band era. I live in Southwestern Pa. One of my uncles played locally in the band of a singer who would become very famous and popular. I'll let you research as to who that person was. Dad died while I was in the Army. I was about 19. He was only 49.
Anyway, remember cap guns that looked like a colt 45. you put a roll of caps in the gun and blasted away.
Did you ever have a kaleidoscope? They where a lot of fun.
Had a chain of grocery stores called A&P (atlantic & pacific) They had coffee grinders. It was my job to grind the coffee. I can still smell the aroma of that coffee today.
Have to go now, time to put the dogs in for the night.
See ya later

Hi again!
I will have to do some research on your uncle
I use to have cap gun that looked like a colt 45 when i was a kid don't know if you can buy them anymore with parents so against guns but i loved mine i always ran out of caps to soon and begged for more..
Oh yes i had a few kaleidoscopes i even took one apart just to see how it worked i was bad for that
I love the smell of coffee and I'm also a heavy coffee drinker love the stuff! have a wonderful night



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

Thank you for this thread.

I'm a youngster, 41 for you old-timers!

Child-hood was difficult for me. But I went where I wanted, when I wanted. I never bothered anybody who I didn't try to befriend. But I was free to pick who I could be friends with, my existing friends never tried to tell me not to hang-out with "those guys." I wound-up fighting all the boys at recess once in school. They definitely got the best of me, but they just couldn't beat me. They tried up until junior high school, where a new bunch of bullies were assembled. I never had to defend myself anymore, I guess now I know why, I never thought too much about it, but I guess I'm glad for it.

Remember those static, or spring-driven toys? I had a red convertible. Oh, and Tyco YEAH slot cars! Man I spent some hours there! Trains with three rails? Man.

I road my bike through so many different neighborhoods, and met so many good people. One neighborhood on the way to my favorite park, there was a house that had a refrigerated water fountain next to the sidewalk. That park had a groomed landscape with a hill that was pristine for getting some air!!!! I broke a few bikes, but not any bones.

The one time I did come close? My foot! Hair-line fracture. was playing soccer in the street and something happened where I ended-up kicking the back of my other foot! I was too embarrassed to finally go to the Dr.'s office. Six hours later, I nearly had to crawl to the door! Ha! I'm talking about growing pains and trying to make it sound fun, what a nerd!!!

Tonka trucks. I was the self-assumed quality control guy! All they did was rust! I guess I shouldn't have chewed them with all that lead paint!!! I'm a strange character, I'll admit it. An ode to be young again!



posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy
 


Hey now!! I'm only a year ahead of you, whipper snapper! I really loved this thread and was so sorry to see it die down. Hopefully your post will bring it new life......



posted on Mar, 29 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy
reply to post by sugarcookie1
 

Thank you for this thread.

I'm a youngster, 41 for you old-timers!

Child-hood was difficult for me. But I went where I wanted, when I wanted. I never bothered anybody who I didn't try to befriend. But I was free to pick who I could be friends with, my existing friends never tried to tell me not to hang-out with "those guys." I wound-up fighting all the boys at recess once in school. They definitely got the best of me, but they just couldn't beat me. They tried up until junior high school, where a new bunch of bullies were assembled. I never had to defend myself anymore, I guess now I know why, I never thought too much about it, but I guess I'm glad for it.

Remember those static, or spring-driven toys? I had a red convertible. Oh, and Tyco YEAH slot cars! Man I spent some hours there! Trains with three rails? Man.

I road my bike through so many different neighborhoods, and met so many good people. One neighborhood on the way to my favorite park, there was a house that had a refrigerated water fountain next to the sidewalk. That park had a groomed landscape with a hill that was pristine for getting some air!!!! I broke a few bikes, but not any bones.

The one time I did come close? My foot! Hair-line fracture. was playing soccer in the street and something happened where I ended-up kicking the back of my other foot! I was too embarrassed to finally go to the Dr.'s office. Six hours later, I nearly had to crawl to the door! Ha! I'm talking about growing pains and trying to make it sound fun, what a nerd!!!

Tonka trucks. I was the self-assumed quality control guy! All they did was rust! I guess I shouldn't have chewed them with all that lead paint!!! I'm a strange character, I'll admit it. An ode to be young again!


That was a great story thank you so much for posting it! I'm only 38 but i love the good old days and hearing the stories i was born into the wrong generation i think..




top topics



 
11
<< 1  2  3   >>

log in

join