It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk about the good old days,I double-dog-dare-ya!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
I can remember a bunch, but one of my best memories was my dad's 1966 Olds Toronado... shiny black and chrome. WHo needed seat belts or car seats.. going to town with dad was like a roller coaster ride with the music at full volume and getting slung all over the back seat.
He'd start that car up and Id hear the big ol engine.. and come running to ride the rollercoaster!

I remember delivered milk and the knife and scissor sharpening guy that would come to the house. The Scissor Man never came without bringing some penny candy.. back then it was safe to talk to strangers.

I remember my dads brothers coming down to visit for a week and watching them play pool in the basement with 70's funk on the radio.. and at family reunions the older uncles would get drunk and fight over what was worse.. ww2 or Korea.

Another great story! Thank you for posting. Go on the rollercoaster now your kid gets taken away you go to jail and get tons of fines.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
What i remember . A bottle of sodee pop was 7 cents with a 2 cent return on the bottle . My first full time job was 60 hours per week and my rate was $64.91 per week . 22 ammo was 20 cents per box . I bought a brand new '68 Road Runner with a 383 cu in for $2,900.00 and i could get a full tank of gas and a 24 case of beer for 5 bucks . All of the boys took guns to school because we hunted after school but we had to unload them and leave them in the principles office . I was carrying a .22 revolver to school when i was 10 .

Cops weren't the enemy , they were neighbors . No birth control pills so be careful with the girlfriend . It was supper not dinner and the whole family was at the table . Mother didn't work outside the home and took great care of us . Saturday morning tv but that was about the only time we watched it . My Dad was a celebrity for a short time when he bought the first color tv within 50 miles and he put balls of tin foil on the rabbit ear antennaes and would twist them around to get the best reception on our 3 channels .

Saturday afternoon movie was 25 cents but we called it a picture show . Fights were one on one and the teachers would let it go . We were armed better than gangsters today but fights were settled with fists , one on one . Take your hat off when entering anyones house . Everyone stood for the national anthem . Swear and you would get your mouth washed out with soap . Respect your mother or you'll deal with your father , and that won't turn out well . No one ever thought of motorcycle helmets or seat belts . I watched Sputnik go over .

Never heard of divorce and all of my friends had a mother and a father . My Scout troop had about a dozen .22 rifles . 50 cents for two cheeseburgers and a root beer at A&W . 14 inch wide cheater slick back tires on my Road Runner for 18 bucks each . Speeding tickets were cheap . We thought the Russians may nuke us . I didn't like the Beatles but Buddy Holly and Otis Redding , that was music . Glued to the tv when men were walking on the moon . Grand Dad was born in 1873 before the Wright Brothers flew and he saw a man step on the lunar surface . He was never on a plane in his life and couldn't figure out how they stayed in the air .

Grand mother birthed a child by herself and the same day she was in the barn sitting on a stool and milked 15 cows by hand into a bucket . I had one comic book , maybe from the late 40's , science fiction , Tom Swift . Tom Swift had an Electric Rifle . 50 years later the Taser was invented . T.A.S.E.R. Tom Swifts Electric Rifle . From science fiction to the real thing . Everyone had a slingshot , homemade and glass marbles were the valuable ammunition .

The headlight dimmer switch was on the floor and the third pedal was actually the clutch . Your transmission was likely 3 on the tree or 4 on the floor . Pick up any hitch hiker you came across just to visit . No such thing as a locked door . The parking brake was called the emergency brake . You had bragging rights if you had anything , "store bought". No one used the graphic word , pregnant . In the family way , was the term . A bra was a brassier . Castor oil cured everything .

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

Must have been amazing, your alot luckier than alot of people. Thanks for that post.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

That is just an amazing true story! pop was 7 cents with a 2 cent return on the bottle i cant imagine that now a case is about 6 dollars..My parents always made me be home by 5 for supper no excuses they were big on the whole family eating together and i loved it so many family's don't do that anymore its food on the go..My dad said that once that everyone had a mom and dad divorce was rare now look at it its the in thing to do..So many things have changed since back then i wish i had a time machine and could go back to that time i envy you.. I love hearing about that era i just get spellbound..Thank you so much for your reply

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
Getting old.. Remember alot of those things..
Along with sleeping outside in the summer watching the stars..
Playing with fireworks (not the little wimpy things they call fireworks these days )
Riding bicycles without helmets ..
Knowing that if we got caught at mischief while away from home when got home our parents knew and we got punished for it..
Actually working to earn an allowance - chores and schoolwork not done no allowance that week...
Watching black and white t.v at a friends house when t.vs were new and rare..
Duck and cover drills at school.. (Yep even back then government fearmongering with the red scare..)
Hadnt thought of those days in years.. Thanks for posting..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I was born on a farm and we didn't have a bathroom. Not the greatest memory, but we had an outhouse with 2 seats and my sister and I shared.
Crazy! My mom would fill a big tub in the kitchen and bathe us.

I remember when we got our first TV! What an incredible piece of technology! Ed Sullivan and Doby Gillis. and Lassie! Not to mention My Friend Flicka and The lone Ranger.

We slaughtered our own chickens ( I still remember the smell of hot feathers), pigs and my dad sheared the sheep. There was always something for a kid to do. I gathered eggs and sometimes slopped the pigs. We had a cellar (like the one on the Wizard of Oz) and a summer kitchen.

There was a penny candy store across the street from our little school. And when the family wanted to eat out, we went to White Castle and ate in the car! What a treat that was!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

My aunts had an outhouse.. one seater... so you guys musta been purty fancy with your 2 seater!

They those people who believed in ghosts and "haints" and anything scary. They were twins and never married, just lived together until they died on a farm and did their own work.. and hired guys when they needed help. The "older" one was a hunter and one time when we went there she had animals hung from her porch which wrapped around the side of the house.. it was creepy.. not to mention the 2nd floor had no electricity and thats where we got to sleep.... in a house with true spiritualists who would visit Lily Dale.

She said she saw a ball of light roll down the hill and they ran out of the house.. it hit the house, exploded but the house didnt burn down.. so naturally I was terrified to stay there. They let me use the pot in the room becuase I WOULD NOT use the outhouse after dark btw. Not for ghosts but for bugs and snakes! I asked them if my cousin could stay with me there and they let him. We were both about 10 and scared to death in the upstairs room without electricity.. he pulled the bed over to face the window so he would see if a fireball or ghost was coming down the hill through the window. He had the footboard facing and kind of touching the lower window sil.. hard to explain. In the middle of the night I was awoke by a gunshot.. seems my cousin shot off half of his toe. He said he saw someone trying to get through the 2nd floor window but it was reallly him seeing his own toe propped up on the foot board and looked like someones head in the window.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Always love the talks bout the good ol days, as if things were better.
People forget about the good, and only pay attention to the bad in the now and the good in the past.

Yup those good ol days when mom stayed home, because you couldn't go to college while married and many were on medications to handle the the constant work of home life. Rollling Stones even wrote a song about it, called Mommy's Little Helper. It was great memories for you, you were the kid being taken care of. Where the only acceptable work was being a nurse or secretary. There was less divorce because of social stigma, women were forced to stay in abusive marriages.

Oh that horrible political correctness. Not allowing us to publicly demean people simply based on who they are born as, or love. While we are at it, why don't we bring back the class system so people born in a lower class have to stay there to live in poverty because the upper class has decided so. And don't forget to segregate schools while your at it. I am sure those are wonderful memories for those kids.

And I don't see what comparing costs of items prior to normal inflation has to do with teh good ol days.It is all relative.

BTW, I still line dry my clothes, and I have an umbrella dryer in the backyard. Line drying is making a huge resurface since it saves a heck of a lot of energy.

I can get milk delivered. A family dairy started delivering milk and went from 500 customers to 5,000 in only a matter of 4 years, it is so popular.

www.southmountaincreamery.

not only that, you can get local meat, other dairy, honey, etc. And everything is delicious. and the milk comes in glass bottles, and you can buy the metal cooler to sit on your porch.

Another company is doing the same in the midwest and is making wonderful profits.
Because of the environmental movement and people wanting less chemicals in their food, these things are coming back.

If you look hard enough, you can find great things in modern times.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Great post!
As a 50's greaser, I remember all of those previous items mentioned in the threads.
We had a guy come around in a 3 wheel motorcycle with a block of ice selling ice balls.
For a dime you would get a paper cone full of shaved ice and your choice of flavored syrup's,
orange, cherry, grape lime and root beer.
Stop in the local drug store and for a nickel you could get a cherry or vanilla coke.
How about those candy bar's like power house,zagnut, clark bar, hersheys with or without almonds.A big candy bar for only 5 cents. To many to mention.
Mow a few lawns and you where set for a day at the movies watching the great B sci-fi flick's that where prevalent in that time period.
Remember having to get up off of your deriere to change tv channels.
I was my Dad's original remote only I didn't know it at the time.
Remember the tv picture going balistic every time an air plane flew over the house.
Remember the forest of tv antenna's adorning every rooftop in the neighbor hood with birds perched on everyone of them. Remember the vacuum operated windshield wipers on our 52 chevy that flapped like hell going downhill and coming to a complete stop on the way up. We had variable speed wipers but didn't know it at the time. Dad called them you SOB's!
How about Brylcream. Only a little dab will do ya! Or clearasil, the acne killer.
The most importaint of all is to remember the advent of rock& roll with it's primitave simplistic beat.
I'm glad I was there and would not wan't to grow up in any other era!!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Great idea for a thread...
I remember going to a relatives in the Leicestershire countryside for 3 weeks in the school summer holidays every year (UK) with brother and 2 cousins - packed a backpack each and we would set off in the morning after breakfast, and make our own adventures - in streams, woods, quarrys, never bored not a computer game in sight. Had great fun, never caused trouble or broke anything. Come back at dinnertime (5ish) ready for a good meal and early to bed (we were around 8-10 years old).
Magical times it seems - cannot imagine sending your kids out nowadays doing the same thing could you...

Time spent with grandparents was always great.
Always had fond memories of reading my Transformers comics would look forward to running round the paper shop every saturday morning for the latest edition then reading it before I would be bothered about breakfast...
I went to retrieve them a few years ago from parents loft and to my dismay they had been thrown out - they were worth quite a bit as I had the whole collection

Going to the corner shop with 10 pence and getting a lucky bag which had sweets, chews, a toy and a puzzle - for 10 PENCE. Amazing.

When you got older - football for hours on a saturday and sunday (Soccer to my US friends)
School Dinners - Cheeseburger & Chips, 2 Iced Buns and 2 Milkshakes for a pound - never obese though see above for reason

Computer games that were just more simple, quicker fun. We had an acorn electron and played games like Chuckie Egg and Sphinx Adventure - this game didnt even have any graphics but was so much fun to play.

Great reading other peoples stories - things like this really cheer me up amidst all the relentless depressing posts on here that I (and others no doubt) cannot stop ourselves from reading. Glutton for punishment.
Thanks

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Those good old days look rather bad old days in some decades

Betta go touch up my make up, put a nice ribbon in my hair, dust the table, light a fire and pretend I'm glad to see him !!
" Yes Dear you are SO interesting !! "

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
ahhhhh, memories of the penny candy store ... them some goooood memories, delicious too

50 cents could outdo almost any Halloween hopping or at least keep ya stocked for awhile.

one of my fondest memories though was during the gas crunch / rationing days of the 70s.
i was at a skating camp and traveling with my coach and a few other skaters. we left each morning around 4am to get to the rink because we were in a gas line for about an hour and a half each morning to get our ration so we could make the trip to the rink only to repeat the process to get home.
we had some interesting trips that summer. some mornings, while waiting, several strangers would walk to the nearest convenience store or restaurant and order some 20+ coffees, donuts, breakfast items ... some afternoons, many ppl broke out the BBQs, right on the roadside or where-ever the line trailed.

i can remember swearing that When cigarettes reached $1/pack, i'd quit ... although, that was some time ago.
the biggest worries we had around Prom, was someone spiking the punch bowl.
heck, we still attended sock-hops, monthly and boy did the girls shy away from Sadie Hawkins day. (for the youngins out there, that was the one special day of the year, when it was Acceptable for a girl to ask a guy out)
never, did you find 2 females dancing together or in a group on any dance floor.
we learned the particulars of dancing a Polka during gym class.

we read alot ... we even went to the grandparents to watch television. (didn't have one until later 70s)
we played outside every waking minute we could spare, then pushed for another hour.
i remember organizing a benefit carnival for Muscular Dystrophy (Jerrys kids) and we didn't need any 'permits', 'releases of liability' or any such nonsense. Ppl came, played, won, had fun ... simple.
we shared alot with everyone, when i was a child ... it was the only way to survive.

learned to make Stone Soup and have kept that recipe close for all the years since.
my favorite memory of those days though ... has to be time with nature.
we just don't get enough of that anymore.

to whomever mentioned the ice cube trays

*** just a few weeks ago, a 20 something friend stopped by and when retrieving the mechanical ice tray with and expression of puzzlement and complete confusion, he finally said: "how the hell do you operate this?" priceless !!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Getting old.. Remember alot of those things..
Along with sleeping outside in the summer watching the stars..
Playing with fireworks (not the little wimpy things they call fireworks these days )
Riding bicycles without helmets ..
Knowing that if we got caught at mischief while away from home when got home our parents knew and we got punished for it..
Actually working to earn an allowance - chores and schoolwork not done no allowance that week...
Watching black and white t.v at a friends house when t.vs were new and rare..
Duck and cover drills at school.. (Yep even back then government fearmongering with the red scare..)
Hadnt thought of those days in years.. Thanks for posting..

thank you for the reply..My mom and dad were telling me they had those drills in school were they had to get under there desk that must have been scary knowing something like that could happen at anytime (fearmongering)I'm glad you enjoyed the post

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I was born on a farm and we didn't have a bathroom. Not the greatest memory, but we had an outhouse with 2 seats and my sister and I shared.
Crazy! My mom would fill a big tub in the kitchen and bathe us.

I remember when we got our first TV! What an incredible piece of technology! Ed Sullivan and Doby Gillis. and Lassie! Not to mention My Friend Flicka and The lone Ranger.

We slaughtered our own chickens ( I still remember the smell of hot feathers), pigs and my dad sheared the sheep. There was always something for a kid to do. I gathered eggs and sometimes slopped the pigs. We had a cellar (like the one on the Wizard of Oz) and a summer kitchen.

There was a penny candy store across the street from our little school. And when the family wanted to eat out, we went to White Castle and ate in the car! What a treat that was!

Thank you for the reply! What great memorys..I love how families were back then so close ..you worked hard but had such good rewards! And eating at White Castle and sitting in the car having your burger that must have been alot of fun i wish we still could do that

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Hello and thanks for the reply..I'm sure all that stuff did happen i wasn't born in that era..My grandparents pointed alot of those things out to me they grew up in the depression era and things weren't all fun.. But this thread is about the good memory's of the old days when you were a kid..I own a farm and grow all my own vegetables and line dry my clothes except in the winter..I buy almost all my stuff local..And yes you can find alot of wonderful things in the modern times

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by 43LEO729

Great post!
As a 50's greaser, I remember all of those previous items mentioned in the threads.
We had a guy come around in a 3 wheel motorcycle with a block of ice selling ice balls.
For a dime you would get a paper cone full of shaved ice and your choice of flavored syrup's,
orange, cherry, grape lime and root beer.
Stop in the local drug store and for a nickel you could get a cherry or vanilla coke.
How about those candy bar's like power house,zagnut, clark bar, hersheys with or without almonds.A big candy bar for only 5 cents. To many to mention.
Mow a few lawns and you where set for a day at the movies watching the great B sci-fi flick's that where prevalent in that time period.
Remember having to get up off of your deriere to change tv channels.
I was my Dad's original remote only I didn't know it at the time.
Remember the tv picture going balistic every time an air plane flew over the house.
Remember the forest of tv antenna's adorning every rooftop in the neighbor hood with birds perched on everyone of them. Remember the vacuum operated windshield wipers on our 52 chevy that flapped like hell going downhill and coming to a complete stop on the way up. We had variable speed wipers but didn't know it at the time. Dad called them you SOB's!
How about Brylcream. Only a little dab will do ya! Or clearasil, the acne killer.
The most importaint of all is to remember the advent of rock& roll with it's primitave simplistic beat.
I'm glad I was there and would not wan't to grow up in any other era!!

I love your post thank you! And being your dads original remote how funny that made me laugh out loud ! Going to the movies back then had to be so much fun i hardly go because its so expensive now days so i rent movies..I think the era you grew up in was a wonderful time in history..I'm glad you enjoyed the thread because im enjoying reading all of them

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by facchino
Great idea for a thread...
I remember going to a relatives in the Leicestershire countryside for 3 weeks in the school summer holidays every year (UK) with brother and 2 cousins - packed a backpack each and we would set off in the morning after breakfast, and make our own adventures - in streams, woods, quarrys, never bored not a computer game in sight. Had great fun, never caused trouble or broke anything. Come back at dinnertime (5ish) ready for a good meal and early to bed (we were around 8-10 years old).
Magical times it seems - cannot imagine sending your kids out nowadays doing the same thing could you...

Time spent with grandparents was always great.
Always had fond memories of reading my Transformers comics would look forward to running round the paper shop every saturday morning for the latest edition then reading it before I would be bothered about breakfast...
I went to retrieve them a few years ago from parents loft and to my dismay they had been thrown out - they were worth quite a bit as I had the whole collection

Going to the corner shop with 10 pence and getting a lucky bag which had sweets, chews, a toy and a puzzle - for 10 PENCE. Amazing.

When you got older - football for hours on a saturday and sunday (Soccer to my US friends)
School Dinners - Cheeseburger & Chips, 2 Iced Buns and 2 Milkshakes for a pound - never obese though see above for reason

Computer games that were just more simple, quicker fun. We had an acorn electron and played games like Chuckie Egg and Sphinx Adventure - this game didnt even have any graphics but was so much fun to play.

Great reading other peoples stories - things like this really cheer me up amidst all the relentless depressing posts on here that I (and others no doubt) cannot stop ourselves from reading. Glutton for punishment.
Thanks

Your summer holidays sounded like so much fun and your right now days parents wouldn't think of letting there kids do that i know mine wouldn't to many nutcases out there..That's a bummer about your comics I'm sure there worth a fortune now i still have alot of my toys from when i was a kid my parents saved alot of them and its fun to drag them out and look at them..Thanks so much for posting your story I'm glad your enjoying others posts also i knew this would be a fun thread

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by uk today

Thanks for the post and the video that was interesting..But i see alot of myself in that video with my husband but i do it because i like doing that for hI'm not because I'm pressured to.. Maybe I'm crazy but i don't think doing alot of that stuff is so bad..A few of the things were a bit over the top i agree but i do it out of love i guess I'm just old fashioned..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Good thread ... gives us a break from the gloom & doom.

I am not from the era you are necessarily targeting, but this is what I got:

Crushes on Wonder Woman and Erin Gray from Buck Rogers.
Trying to find Hazard County on a map.
Hiding my eyes when MJ's Thriller came on.
1$ got you too much candy.
Circling 'Yes' or 'No' letters, as well as the H.O.M.E game and the Pick a number oragami thing.
John Travolta was tops.
Sparkly tee-shirts as seen here.
Velor turtlenecks.
E.T.'s were good guys who played with kids.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
ahhhhh, memories of the penny candy store ... them some goooood memories, delicious too

50 cents could outdo almost any Halloween hopping or at least keep ya stocked for awhile.

one of my fondest memories though was during the gas crunch / rationing days of the 70s.
i was at a skating camp and traveling with my coach and a few other skaters. we left each morning around 4am to get to the rink because we were in a gas line for about an hour and a half each morning to get our ration so we could make the trip to the rink only to repeat the process to get home.
we had some interesting trips that summer. some mornings, while waiting, several strangers would walk to the nearest convenience store or restaurant and order some 20+ coffees, donuts, breakfast items ... some afternoons, many ppl broke out the BBQs, right on the roadside or where-ever the line trailed.

i can remember swearing that When cigarettes reached $1/pack, i'd quit ... although, that was some time ago.
the biggest worries we had around Prom, was someone spiking the punch bowl.
heck, we still attended sock-hops, monthly and boy did the girls shy away from Sadie Hawkins day. (for the youngins out there, that was the one special day of the year, when it was Acceptable for a girl to ask a guy out)
never, did you find 2 females dancing together or in a group on any dance floor.
we learned the particulars of dancing a Polka during gym class.

we read alot ... we even went to the grandparents to watch television. (didn't have one until later 70s)
we played outside every waking minute we could spare, then pushed for another hour.
i remember organizing a benefit carnival for Muscular Dystrophy (Jerrys kids) and we didn't need any 'permits', 'releases of liability' or any such nonsense. Ppl came, played, won, had fun ... simple.
we shared alot with everyone, when i was a child ... it was the only way to survive.

learned to make Stone Soup and have kept that recipe close for all the years since.
my favorite memory of those days though ... has to be time with nature.
we just don't get enough of that anymore.

to whomever mentioned the ice cube trays

*** just a few weeks ago, a 20 something friend stopped by and when retrieving the mechanical ice tray with and expression of puzzlement and complete confusion, he finally said: "how the hell do you operate this?" priceless !!

Thanks so much for posting your story i loved reading it..I cant imagine the rationing days of the 70s waiting an hour and a half each morning to get your ration of gasoline and haveing BBQs, right on the roadside how interesting!I wonder how long it will take for those days to return..The mechanical ice tray was in my post my grandparents still use those that's part of the fun of going to there house.. they still haven't caught up with the modern times and that's fine with me that's part of there charm

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join