It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk about the good old days,I double-dog-dare-ya!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Do you remember moms who stayed home and made apple pie and going on family vacations in the big old family car?..I don't remember these days, But my family loves to talk about the good old days, Tell me about your memories and how far back do you remember? Add some pictures, lets have some fun with this thread. I'm so tired of hearing about gloom and doom, I wanted to do a thread that would be fun and light hearted..

How about when you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, all for free, And you didn’t pay for air? And, you got trading stamps to boot, and all of this for less than 30 cent a gallon unless they had a GAS WAR going on and it could be as low as 20 cents a gallon.

Do you remember when the minimum wage was $1.25 an hour?

Do you remember when you could get a hamburger for a quarter and a Coke for a dime?

Do you rember the kid down the street charged 1.50 to mow your lawn, cut and trimmed ?

Do you rember S & H Green Stamps as well as Blue Chip stamps and traded them in for interesting household items ?

how about when you knew every neighbor on your block as well as around the block and down most streets?

Or a ringer washer and you walked to the clothes line and hung your clothes out to dry?

Do you rember being taught to work hard and respect others and not have to worry about being politically correct or being sued ?

Do you rember going to the store and buying packs of baseball cards for 5 cents and when you got the bubble gum, You actually got some ?

Do you rember when the milkman came to your door?

How about worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was "cooties"? (love that one)

And this one, Metal ice cubes trays with levers..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Just making me wish even more I was growing up in a different era...

Funny, I was just watching on the History Channel about the Apollo missions when they were going to swing around the moon, the crew was reading Genesis out of the Bible and it was broadcast on radios and televisions. Now if they were to do that the FCC and the feds would have a s*&% storm.

Ahh... Back in the days where values and morals were a hundred fold better than they are today.

Where kids played outside and had no idea what a video game honestly was.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I don't remember most of that stuff but now you have mentioned metal lever action ice cube trays I absolutely must have one.
The modern soft rubber ones suck if you actually ever want to get the ice out of them

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Man,
the cooties don't go away nowadays

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Relativity.

There were as many bad aspects of the past that have improved greatly, as there are good aspects of the past that have deteriorated. A juxtaposition of balancing factors perhaps.

Sure, the medieval ages are synonymous with the ideals of Chivalry, but the medieval period was also one of the most disgusting and disgraceful periods in our history. Not just Europe, but other cultures globally. War and conflict were a daily fact of life, disease and poor sanitation made life nearly unbearable. The Bubonic plague ravaged the cities. The heretics were rounded up and executed. Etc, etc, etc.

It's all a matter of the location from which you form your perspective.

From one angle things may look good, but from another angle it may look rather horrific.

edit on 15-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
S&F..I bet it was nice to get into a fight, and leave friends with a "squashed" dispute. Now you have to worry about the other 10 year old pulling out a gun.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by crookedj0k3r
Just making me wish even more I was growing up in a different era...

Funny, I was just watching on the History Channel about the Apollo missions when they were going to swing around the moon, the crew was reading Genesis out of the Bible and it was broadcast on radios and televisions. Now if they were to do that the FCC and the feds would have a s*&% storm.

Ahh... Back in the days where values and morals were a hundred fold better than they are today.

Where kids played outside and had no idea what a video game honestly was.

Yeah if the bible was quoted on tv today there would be a Sh** Storm like you said! Also you cant hardly rip a kid away from a TV or a Video Game without getting them Pis**d of at you for wrecking their game.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I don't remember most of that stuff but now you have mentioned metal lever action ice cube trays I absolutely must have one.
The modern soft rubber ones suck if you actually ever want to get the ice out of them

Im sure you could more than likely find one on ebay or craigslist. I saw 2 at a garage sale and almost bought them but changed my mind at the last min now I regret that decesion.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by FoJAk
Man,
the cooties don't go away nowadays

Ewww scary cooties nowadays. Death till you part.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Relativity.

There were as many bad aspects of the past that have improved greatly, as there are good aspects of the past that have deteriorated. A juxtaposition of balancing factors perhaps.

Sure, the medieval ages are synonymous with the ideals of Chivalry, but the medieval period was also one of the most disgusting and disgraceful periods in our history. Not just Europe, but other cultures globally. War and conflict were a daily fact of life, disease and poor sanitation made life nearly unbearable. The Bubonic plague ravaged the cities. The heretics were rounded up and executed. Etc, etc, etc.

It's all a matter of the location from which you form your perspective.

From one angle things may look good, but from another angle it may look rather horrific.

edit on 15-2-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

I really didnt want this to go doom and gloom like this. I want to hear about the good stuff and memories you had with your family. What trips you went on or your favorite clock radio or the black and white shows you watched or candy you ate. Anything but dark age stuff. I want to make this light and fun. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by LoverBoy
S&F..I bet it was nice to get into a fight, and leave friends with a "squashed" dispute. Now you have to worry about the other 10 year old pulling out a gun.

Yeah when you fought with your neighbor that dispute was done and over and like you said now they pull guns or burn your house down.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Ah and also you didn't have police radar...must have been very nice, saved me some money lol

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Ah and also you didn't have police radar...must have been very nice, saved me some money lol

There were not that many cops on the road back then. But i remember my parents telling me the speed limit was 70 mph.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I remember everything you mentioned and it's kinda sad we lost all those things.

I started thinking about it though and what's changed? I mean think about it, what's really changed since then.
Sure technology and such has, but what's really changed?

I think it's just us...we changed.

What is keeping it from being that way again? Just us people I think.

Greed, distrust & fear.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I started driving gas was .99 a gallon so I never really saw .20 a gallon.

Cartoons were ONLY on Sat. mornings and it was what we lived for.

When I was a driving teen and got stuck or broke down I remember walking for 15 miles to a pay phone, now ya just whip out the cell.

taking those trips cross country in the summer to visit the Grandparents in Missouri.

How cool it was to get a new Sony walkman cassette player.

The Atari 2600 was cutting edge in video games

I could take a note to the store and buy my dad beer or cigarettes

If you got caught out cruising the back roads with a beer the cop just told ya to go home

Crack, Meth...... What the hell is that??????

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwood
I remember everything you mentioned and it's kinda sad we lost all those things.

I started thinking about it though and what's changed? I mean think about it, what's really changed since then.
Sure technology and such has, but what's really changed?

I think it's just us...we changed.

What is keeping it from being that way again? Just us people I think.

Greed, distrust & fear.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When I started driving gas was .99 a gallon so I never really saw .20 a gallon.

Cartoons were ONLY on Sat. mornings and it was what we lived for.

When I was a driving teen and got stuck or broke down I remember walking for 15 miles to a pay phone, now ya just whip out the cell.

taking those trips cross country in the summer to visit the Grandparents in Missouri.

How cool it was to get a new Sony walkman cassette player.

The Atari 2600 was cutting edge in video games

I could take a note to the store and buy my dad beer or cigarettes

If you got caught out cruising the back roads with a beer the cop just told ya to go home

Crack, Meth...... What the hell is that??????

Agreed we have changed dramatically I remember all those things too when they came around. Life was simpler then and things you wanted you had to work hard to get them like going around and collecting glass bottles from people to cash them in for money. I remember my parents would write me notes too so i could get them cigs or beer lol. I also remember when people smoked in the Hospital and movie theatres too.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mwood

I love it, so true. I miss watching real cartoons, bugs bunny daffy duck, not this japanese thing. I also miss watching the show called Nightstalker with Carl Kolchack? Sp? The original btw.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

reply to post by mwood

I love it, so true. I miss watching real cartoons, bugs bunny daffy duck, not this japanese thing. I also miss watching the show called Nightstalker with Carl Kolchack? Sp? The original btw.

I miss woody woodpecker, casper the ghost, 3 stooges and the honeymooners.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Oh yea... I remember the Black &White TV's (no cable), Gas was 20 or30¢ a gal, Richard Petty was winning most races, I cut grass for about 1 or 2 bucks, Bubble Gum was 2 for .01¢, I remember it was safe to leave your house unlocked and windows open...no AC either, just a fan in a window; I remember us kids going down to the nearest creek to swim in the summer, I believe rent for a house was $50.00 or less, I remember the cars that came out in the late 60 and 70's were bad to the bone. I remember Grandma getting the new sears washer, and the old ringer went in the back yard. I remember the single oil heater in the house would only keep you warm if you was standing near it...(lots of blankets on the beds in them days), your neighbor was the auto repairman, Grandma always had a garden and canned a lot of it ;and best of all; families actually got together during holidays.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shdak
Oh yea... I remember the Black &White TV's (no cable), Gas was 20 or30¢ a gal, Richard Petty was winning most races, I cut grass for about 1 or 2 bucks, Bubble Gum was 2 for .01¢, I remember it was safe to leave your house unlocked and windows open...no AC either, just a fan in a window; I remember us kids going down to the nearest creek to swim in the summer, I believe rent for a house was $50.00 or less, I remember the cars that came out in the late 60 and 70's were bad to the bone. I remember Grandma getting the new sears washer, and the old ringer went in the back yard. I remember the single oil heater in the house would only keep you warm if you was standing near it...(lots of blankets on the beds in them days), your neighbor was the auto repairman, Grandma always had a garden and canned a lot of it ;and best of all; families actually got together during holidays.

Thats amazing! Thats the kind of stories I want to hear! Its so cool how when you think about this its almost like you get transported back in time and in your head can see these events as if they were yesterday. The best part about back then was the only interface you had were people.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
I can remember a bunch, but one of my best memories was my dad's 1966 Olds Toronado... shiny black and chrome. WHo needed seat belts or car seats.. going to town with dad was like a roller coaster ride with the music at full volume and getting slung all over the back seat.
He'd start that car up and Id hear the big ol engine.. and come running to ride the rollercoaster!

I remember delivered milk and the knife and scissor sharpening guy that would come to the house. The Scissor Man never came without bringing some penny candy.. back then it was safe to talk to strangers.

I remember my dads brothers coming down to visit for a week and watching them play pool in the basement with 70's funk on the radio.. and at family reunions the older uncles would get drunk and fight over what was worse.. ww2 or Korea.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join