It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange/cool ring around the moon(right now)/ Need camera advice please

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I dont know how long it will stay, or how far away it can be seen, but I am in Indiana, and the ring around the moon is HUGE right now, at 11:18 P.M. EST. So if anyone is anywhere near this area, it is a very interesting sight, if you want to go check it out.

Also, I never really took the time to learn everything about my camera. It's a couple years old. Kodak easyshare Z710. 7.1 megapixels. If anyone online can give me any advice on what setting to use, in order to get a good moon/night-time pic, I would appreciate it.

thx

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Funny, I was out having a cigarette when I saw a rather large ring around the moon. My assumption was this it was just the light that was reflecting off the moon, reflecting off the clouds or atmosphere. But I live in Newmarket, Canada just north of Toronto, so I don't know how close I am to you, or why we may possibly have seen the same thing

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

I am in SE Ontario and I also noticed this. dont know exactly what, but its beautiful. Also remember seeing it in late 2010, maybe November

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
my grandfather was in the navy and was a sailor according to him the closer the ring around the moon the more likely it will rain tomorrow...it's held up so far when it's a tight circle it always rained the next day...maybe it has to do with how much moisture is in the air

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Probably is the same. I have seen it many times before. I am not sure exactly what causes it though. I don't think its any sort of un-natural phenomenon. It just usually isn't even close to that big. I would like to get a pic of it, but still having troubles.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The ring around the moon is caused be ice crystals in the atmosphere refracting the moonlight.I think that you could get a fair picture by using a very fast shutter speed and a tripod.Try shooting with the flash......The flash won't really do anything but your camera will adjust itself to a higher shutter speed.You should also be able to set it higher manualy.The moon is so bright the camera needs a smaller apature and fast shutter speed to get a good shot.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Same here in the deep south too. Beautiful. I wouldn't have thought it would be so far ranging but more of a localized occurrence. Learn somethin' new every day.

Oops, meant to add: Try the 'Spotlight" setting.
edit on 15-2-2011 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
We are seeing thawing temps so its probably moisture in the night air..
the moon is lit by the sun (broad unobstructed daylight) so proper exposure for the surface follows the:"sunny16rule"
Use "Manual" and set a shutter speed of 1over the ASA (iso) at an aperture setting of f16.

If you stick your camera on "automatic exposure the camera meter will see all that dark sky and try to expose so it turns out18%gray( zone 5).You'll need to compensate by "stopping down 3 or 4 stops to get it black again but off course then the moon itself will be a bright blown out highlight.

Use sunny16 and the sky will be dark the moon will look properly exposed ( bright but detailed)...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Some swift moving clouds just came in and covered it up here. I couldn't get a good pic, but that's ok. It was still nice to look at. That was just a reminder that I need to experiment with all these P.A.S.M. settings and figure them out, so that WHEN i see a U.F.O., I'll have an idea of how to set my camera.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I'm trying to follow what you are saying, just for future reference.
The highest 'f' setting I have is f 8.0.
ISO is the shutter speed? What do you mean by '1over'? As far as I can tell, the only choices i have for the ISO is 64, 100, 200, and 400.

I just searched the 'sunny16rule.' Ill check that out and see if I can figure out what I'm doing.

thx

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ice crystals is definitely a good explanation for the ring however, could it possibly be the aluminum fragments caused by geo-engineering reflecting the moon's light?

One explanation is just not a sufficient amount of skepticism.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
normal atmospheric event, got curious about this one time cause id never seen one before and decided to look it up, i called my mom and she told me there was a huge ring around the moon and said that the terrorists had probably attacked us with biological weapons
ohhhh old people, you slay me, but yea, this explains it ring around the moon

top topics

join