It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China rice laced with heavy metals - report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

China rice laced with heavy metals - report

www.heraldsun.com.au< br />

UP to 10 per cent of rice grown in China is contaminated with harmful heavy metals stemming from pollution linked to the nation's rapid industrialisation, a report has found.

This week's edition of the New Century magazine cited studies showing that large amounts of Chinese rice have been tainted with heavy metals like cadmium for years but that little has been done to highlight the dangers.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is a strong case for those who dont check the labeling on their
food purchases to be on their guard.

personally, I am happy to pay the extra for locally grown organic/biodynamic produce.

Sad that your local economy is sold down the river for cheap imports. Seems everything from china is tainted with toxins.

Is that bargain 10lb bag of rice worth it if there maybe 1lb of tainted rice?

www.heraldsun.com.au< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 15-2-2011 by CitizenNum287119327 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Dang, just last week it was this:

The "rice" is made by mixing potatoes, sweet potatoes and plastic. The potatoes are first formed into the shape of rice grains. Industrial synthetic resins are then added to the mix. The rice reportedly stays hard even after being cooked.

The Korean-language Weekly Hong Kong reported that the fake rice is being sold in the Chinese town of Taiyuan, in Shaanxi province.

"A Chinese Restaurant Association official said that eating three bowls of this fake rice would be like eating one plastic bag. Due to the seriousness of the matter, he added that there would be an investigation of factories alleged to be producing the rice," Very Vietnam noted.

www.rawstory.com...
Did they run out of plastic or something?

Note to self -Stay away from Chinese food products....too!

spec

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
This is an interesting thread. I would like to know if this rice is exported or if they are only poisoning their own?
I agree that China has very bad food safety protections. Do you think they will change this, what do you think it will take to change this? Here is some more information for the thread, on Cadmium:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Interesting article.

It should be a wake up call to all consumers to be more vigilant about where our foods originate.

For example, I found out from my grocer that major national brands of cookies are no longer made in the US. Most are made in Mexico. And, while that is not necessarily a bad thing, it worries me that the labels do NOT say "Product of Mexico" but "Dist. by blahblah Co,, Anytown, USA"

It is hard enough to know the sources of foods in our own countries, to know about food safety standards employed.
We shouldn't have to worry about heavy metals and other contaminants in our food supply.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

Whoa, thanks for the heads up. I put 2 and 2 together before, but this puts the ol' rubber stamp on it.

download.lardlad.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Gee,,,why am I not suprised. Everything that comes out of China is poison. They have a name for us non-
Chinese folks,,,,Foreign Devils. They get a real good laugh that the rest of the world not only consumes
their poison, but pays for it. China does what is in the best interest of China. Always has,always will.

Say what you want about my comments, but I Know what Melamine laced dog food from China did to
my dog. Killed it. I know about the melamine in milk products,chocolate,etc. I know about the lead in
paint of children's toys. The bedbugs in clothing, and many more things. I don't trust them anymore.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
This is an interesting thread. I would like to know if this rice is exported or if they are only poisoning their own?
I agree that China has very bad food safety protections. Do you think they will change this, what do you think it will take to change this?

I`m having a hard time trusting anything from China, the pet food fiasco a couple of years ago was the wake up call. I think it`s know time to stop eating rice and replace it with barley.

This article is a couple of years old, but it lists 7 known toxic products that they`ve exported to various countries
theweek.com...

I Know what Melamine laced dog food from China did to my dog. Killed it. I know about the melamine in milk products,chocolate,etc. I know about the lead in paint of children's toys. The bedbugs in clothing, and many more things. I don't trust them anymore.

I just looked up at your post. My heart goes out to you. I was so lucky with my pets, so few foods weren`t affected, and my dogs and cat ate what was still ok. Now I read their food labels thoroughly, and theres a lot of the foods that I will not touch
edit on 15-2-2011 by snowspirit because: àdded.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildmanimal

Man, so sorry to hear bout your dog. I'd be livid for damn sure!

I'm going to start reading more on my food items and where they come from, I mean I kind of was already, but now geez, I will scan everything!!

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Good thing that Rice-a-Roni is made in San Francisco. It is made in San Francisco ain't it?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Citizen, you're so right about checking labeling and buying locally. We just had a slight "discussion" of regulations in one of my threads this week. Regulations that some claim companies are fleeing this country to avoid, and while I don't believe that's a real trend at all, it may be true in some cases. Avoid regulations, they make more giagantic profits and save us a few pennies on the consumer end. But then look at the price the consumer pays for their profit and just to save a few pennies. Like you said, I'd rather just pay more and get a better, safer, healthier product locally than support a communist country that produces poisons on a regular basis. And believe that they will keep doing so, no matter how many of their CEOs allegedly commit suicide in disgrace.

Because see, if the level of regulation or even unions needed to ensure a safe product and safe work environment is ever achieved there, the profits will shrivel to nothing and the corporations will look for their next chump country. Until consumers here wise up, this pattern will continue. The government is not going to do a damn thing about it but pay lip service because, in reality, it's not their priority, they can't keep up, and it's out of both their control and focus.

P.S. Like DontTreadOnMe said, don't trust the labels either. More and more companies are getting caught mislabeling and not disclosing what's in their products. Intentionally in many cases, I believe, because they know people are getting wise to them. Sneaky bastards!

edit on 2/15/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Yep, pays to be careful. but the labeling laws are pretty slack in some places.

In OZ, my favorite dried dates were labeled
"Product of Pakistan. Ingredients from Iran". But Now...
"Product of Pakistan. Made from imported Ingredients".
(but thats probably another thread).

I saw the info about tainted dog food, and alerted my daughters, so there dogs are now extra spoilt.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Some here in OZ are pushing for label warning for GM ingredients. The govt is not wanting to go there.

I heard somewhere that a lot of the 'corn-syrup' used in the US is GM corn. Perhaps other can confirm?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Yeah and don't go falling for the 'from local and imported ingredients'. Great way to say 'made in china'.

Last of the chinese produced canned fruit that the mrs bought are going to get used up and never replaced this week. I hope I don't grow a 5th eye in the process D:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Pay attention, but it is very difficult to be completely accurate in discovering the ingredients point of origin.
There were some great threads a long while back here on ATS about using the bar code on products to
find point of origin. Even if true, you must account for all of the ingredients. Furthermore I must say that
the FDA labeling requirements are downright lacking. Cynically I must assume lobbiest pressure is responsible
for a good deal of that.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Its not just there food either a few years ago i got agold of some of there dry wall for a room remodeling i was doing. A year later and the stuff was literally rotting what friggen junk nothing that comes from china can be garanteed safe id bet my nuggets on that.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Metal wieghs a lot, so it's apparently coming to America. The fattest (& heaviest) country ever... LOL

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Yeah Thanks ,,,,,,melamine causes kidney failure. It was in the dog food supply here in the states.

The FDA needs to start an aggressive investigation into Chinese imports. Yesterday.

top topics

join