It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fragile Humans - Our memory requires a strong magnetic field from the Earth - Are we forgetting?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I have been talking to many people over the past few days who are all commenting on the fact that the cognitive ability to store memory and draw memory from our brain is changing. Its more difficult at times to remember certain things. I never required a day planner before, and now it is the most important part of my business.

Is anyone else noticing this phenomena?

I have read many articles and passages in books stating that our memory and perhaps much of our cognitive function is only active due to our residence within Earths magnetic field, and through the understanding that once you leave the field, without a stable enough substitute, you will unravel and go insane.

We witness incredible tragedies with animals who suffer from the shifting of the field, and I wonder if we are being influenced in a presently subtle way, which seems to be getting worse as we grind down to a lower and lower projection of earths powerful shield.

Do we owe more to this field then public knowledge is informed of?

Does the very foundation of human civilization require it even to remember who we are as individuals?

Lets have a chat about it - Mud slinging allowed please.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Gradius Maximus

That's an interesting concept. However, if magnetism were indeed tied to our memories, wouldn't those who go through an MRI not have memory, or have an exaggerated memory of the event?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Astronauts come immediately to mind. I'm pretty sure they don't lose cognitive ability during their missions. Apollo 13 would have been screwed otherwise.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

That also came to mind for me too, we would have not been able to complete the complex tasks to land there if the we relied on magnetism for cognitive abilities.

I think it's possible that cognitive abilities are somehow affected by magnetism when it reaches a certain level, but I'm just not convinced that they're absolutely necessary for the processes to occur.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

As a former MRI engineer for GE, I can tell you that a high field magnet can actually make some people feel disoriented. One of my co-workers could not enter the bore from the backside, it would make him see stars and get immediately nauseous.

That, and the field from an MRI is serveral orders of magnitude stronger than that of earth. I did a quick search and found that Earth's field is about .5 gauss on average. There are 10,000 gauss to 1 Tesla. Most MRI's these days are 1.5T and up. Even a 1T coil is 20,000 times stronger than earth's field....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I believe it would help if you could show any science about how magnetics affect memory. If there is no science then probably, it doesn't. Someone elses speculation is not an effective source. Science has shown that the processes of the brain are chemical, in the form of neurotransmitters.

www.ninds.nih.gov...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
both good examples, but consider that we only know what we think we know.. perhaps there is something special about the natural magnetosphere that we are inside, and with a gradual shift over a period of time, maybe there is an effect.. maybe not so much of being OUT of the field (as in the case of space flight) but maybe more-so just the changing of the field that we are used to? since an MRI is made by us for us then logic would dictate that there could very well be a difference in the biological interaction..?

good topic!
S&F

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
In response to the MRI comment - they are still within the earths magnetic field, which is much more powerful then that machine. They arent losing anything through that process (That we are aware of)

As to the astronauts of apollo - Were they not still within the earths magnetic field to a certain degree throughout the entire mission? Some people even state that they never actually went to the moon.

I also wonder why we have never been back. Could it be too far from the earth for it to be safe?

There are also accounts of incredible bone density being lost by astronauts, of which never returns to its normal state of being.

Part of me wonders if we are even meant to physically leave this earth, apparently not with our current level of technology. Why are we only sending robots into deep space?

Is there something they are not telling us?

Something tells me that Earths magnetic field is far more precious then we currently realize.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Well those are nice theories - but to be honest they dont know much about the brain yet and are far from mapping it entirely to discover the absolute definition of memory storage.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Out of curiosity, did you see this thread www.abovetopsecret.com... and forget about it before you posted yours? Or is this a matter of synchronicity? Things like this are certainly not helping my memory.
edit on 2/15/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Sorry, I generally dont read the 2012 threads.

This idea of a field being responsible for everything we know as humanity and the projection of our memory, physicality and consciousness is the purpose of this thread.

Main topic - The Magnetic Field is possibly shrinking, and I wonder if that is putting pressure on the field of humanity, if they are not one and the same.

So I ask you, have you noticed anything in your personal life that could offer substance to this topic?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

No no no. I didn't express myself right. No need to be sorry. I was trying to be funny. Also, the synchronicity of you posting on the same topic is fascinating. Plus I thought you might like to see the comments there. I will be more careful of my wording in the future.

My comments are in the other thread.
I do believe there's something environmental happening here. Big time.
edit on 2/15/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
If you cannot provide sources or links that back up what you are saying, then you are basically exhibiting troll behavior.

I provided you with a link, written by Neurologists, people who actually study the brain as opposed to those who merely think about it. You lack credibility and I will go with those who actually know something.

This site is about denying ignorance not spreading it.
edit on 15-2-2011 by Iamschist because: spelling, ok?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
....................................I forgot why I was gonna post.... here..
Ummm
wait,....
no,. that wasnt it,..
hmmm how awkward..

Oh yeah

It is interesting this is brought up
a friend of mine and was just discussing how he had felt he was loosing his
memory. His job is a very demanding one and requires great thinking and
analytical skills,. And he has been complaining that he cant focus on projects
due to fuzzy memory,.
Now,. it could be many variables,. nutrition and sleep can be the most simple examples.
We have talked of these,. but not the magnetic potential,.
I will mention that to him,. of course not much Anyone can do about that one..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

As broad and unlikely as many 2012 theories are... There is consensus among many scientists that we are entering a solar maximum of the likes we have not seen in a long time. One that has the potential to knock out our magnetosphere and leave us vulnerable to a plethora of radiation... Oh, and here's a little something something from our good friend wikipedia:

Biology There is a growing body of evidence that changes in the geomagnetic field affect biological systems. Studies indicate that physically stressed human biological systems may respond to fluctuations in the geomagnetic field. Interest and concern in this subject have led the International Union of Radio Science to create a new commission entitled Commission K - Electromagnetics in Biology and Medicine,[8] current chair Dr. Frank Prato.[9] Possibly the most closely studied of the variable Sun's biological effects has been the degradation of homing pigeons' navigational abilities during geomagnetic storms. Pigeons and other migratory animals, such as dolphins and whales, have internal biological compasses composed of the mineral magnetite wrapped in bundles of nerve cells.[citation needed] This gives them the sense known as magnetoception. While this probably is not their primary method of navigation, there have been many pigeon race smashes, a term used when only a small percentage of birds return home from a release site.[citation needed] Because these losses have occurred during geomagnetic storms, pigeon handlers have learned to ask for geomagnetic alerts and warnings as an aid to scheduling races.[citation needed]

Seems fairly relevant to what could possibly occur.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
Could certain frequencies of electromagnetic waves or radiation interfere with brain function?
www.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

The link you provided has nothing to do with the magnetic field of earth and how it could affect our memory, which is the main topic of this thread. While the theories of brain chemical based memory are interesting, they are not the subject I'd like to discuss.

Memory is influenced by many factors, many fields, many substances and many attributes.

I welcome any information you have in how it relates to the field of this planet.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well that's certainly very interesting. Previously I worked for the Alzheimer's Society. There is no doubt that dementia is on the increase - in a huge way. They keep throwing out theories about causes and indeed there could be lots of factors. But I suspect there is one main factor. What is it?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
i]reply to post by Gradius Maximus

What does it have to do with your post, well if you would read it, there is nothing in it that talks about magnetic influence affecting the brain.

I am still waiting for you to provide support for your post other than your opinion.

How about this link? www.doctorslounge.com...

Here is another, and guess what, no mention of neurological effects. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I'm not looking to engage in scientific debate with you about who has better second hand information.

The purpose of this thread is to gather personal experience and opinions from the members of ATS regarding the magnetic field, which may or may not affect our memory. The purpose of this thread is not to see who can find links from google that say this isnt true.

Because if anything is true of science - Its that they don't know. They really - don't - know.

So please...If you're opinion is that you don't notice anything different in your memory since the decline of the magnetic field, thats great. Please inform us of that, and lets see what others have to say as well.

edit on 16-2-2011 by Gradius Maximus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join