It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you think this Gold Rush has been about?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Countless companies bombarding T.V advertising time with high offers for gold certainly raises questions in my eyes.

It is, in my opinion, quite a blatant public display of the inevitable economic collapse that is coming in the near future.

People should take this gold rush as a sign NOT to sell their gold.

Once the economy collapses and paper currency is worth nothing, precious metals and stones are going to be the only real form of currency.

Corporations losing out on this fake currency we call money by fighting for gold with advertisement will be a loss in the short run. Although after our current economic system inevitably collapses they will have the precious metals and stones that will be vital for leverage in the new world.
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Ya sure.....They had all the Fiat currency and bought Gold and silver so you think that we serfs are going to trade our labour for their gold and silver??? I read the book and it says nobody buys and sells anymore ...get it no one .....peace

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
Ya sure.....They had all the Fiat currency and bought Gold and silver so you think that we serfs are going to trade our labour for their gold and silver??? I read the book and it says nobody buys and sells anymore ...get it no one .....peace

The title is 'What do you think this Gold Rush has been about?
Second line.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
These companies are making a fortune on this cash for gold scheme. The only ones sending their gold through the mail are people who are in a bad spot. I also don't think the gold rush were on right now is going to help the average person at all, If and when the dollar goes belly up it will just be replaced with another form of paper currency. IMO we won't see the day when we haul our gold to the supermarket. The banks can't make big money when we all have gold hidden under our mattresses. Just a thought. Keep your gold if for no other reason then they aren't going to give you anything for it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Tell me...

Why is gold or silver worth anything in the first place?

You can't eat it.

You can't drink it.

You can't even fashion decent weapons from it.

The only reason you can sell it today is because there is DEMAND for it. If the economies crash, because the US WILL crash all other economies before a rebound, what makes anyone think that they would be able to redeem anything of value for their holdings of gold or silver?

If I were around in those times, I'd take all of your gold and silver and give you a few cans of food. Then, when there is an eventual demand again for gold, I'll be rich AND full from my stocked food and water, and you'll be dead or starving and broke.

Seriously, I wouldn't do that to my fellow humans...
but I was just illustrating the point.

~Namaste

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
My personal opinion was that for the gold companies it was easy money. From what I understand it breaks down like this. Gold company offers you $5/ounce based on the refined weight for your gold. The gold spot price is at $10/ounce. One more thing that equates into this is the seller fee. Almost all gold suppliers have a fee over spot. Here they make money again. Now they have purchase gold for $5/ounce from you and turn around and sell it to a gold bug for $11/ounce. They make $6/ounce on your gold. Easy money really. (the prices I used are just an example)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I will tell you this, as a long-time tinfoil hat goldbug the rush has been eminently satisfying on every level, from "told-ya-so" schadenfreude to actual gains. And I'm rolling the dice with the expectation that its not over by a long shot.

Personally I am working with the assumption that we will see a spike and then a long retrenchment to levels respectable but not insane. Something similar to the movements in the early 1980s. I don't expect mad max and I don't expect the elimination of fiat money or other paper instruments in general. So my view is considerably less radical than that of some others here. Even so, I still see a strong upside to precious metals in the days ahead.

The biggest challenge for most long-term goldbugs will be knowing when to bail from the investment class. This being the ten-zillion-dollar question, I'm not going to give you an answer -- nor would I even if I had one.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

Your point is valid more for gold than it is silver. Silver has a tremendous commercial/industrial demand. I often hear people present this point that: you can't eat gold or silver. Even though that is true - for the most part - the people that are collecting it are also collecting guns, gas and grub. The point is, they are using it as a temporary haven to preserve that value of their savings during a tumultuous time in the FIAT currency experience.

That is why we are seeing all these commercials, as they want to suck all available PMs out of people before they crash the currency. If there wasn't any sense to it, why are dictators fleeing their countries with the country's gold reserves? It just a means to an end.

Personally, I am saving up for my own Green Lantern ring.

edit on 15-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: typos

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonOfTheLawOfOne
Tell me...

Why is gold or silver worth anything in the first place?

~Namaste

It's been traded for thousands of years and used as currency worldwide since antiquity. Times may change but humans don't. Gold will always be a commodity with long term value.

No,
You can't eat gold but that's not why it is important. It's important because after everything goes to hell in a handbasket society will have to start over. For the short term society will not be able or willing to trust new paper currencies. The only form of currencies that will be viable are precious metals, food and useful goods.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I posted this on another thread and will say the same thing here ...Babylon has fallen Babylon has fallen ...and the merchants mourned because nobody bought and sold no more ....peace

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by the2ofusr1
reply to post by badgerprints

I posted this on another thread and will say the same thing here ...Babylon has fallen Babylon has fallen ...and the merchants mourned because nobody bought and sold no more ....peace

Yeah, even though I am preparing for as much as possible - within reason - I have this feeling like it's not going to really matter. I think something is around the corner that is different than what we have seen before.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
1) Technically, it is cyclical (altho this bull market is "long in the tooth" ; 11 vs 9 yrs into 1980).
2). Fundamentally, it is about several factors:
a) a secular bear market in the dollar that goes back for generations.
b) a growing distrust of all government and central bank fiat money - not just the us dollar.
c) related to a & b is a fear of government bankruptcies w/ economic and social chaos.
d) the move into the high of 2010 was exacerbated by the FED's QE2 stimulus.
e) fear of a complete collapse brought on by rumors of various disasters in 2012.

edit on 15-2-2011 by CosmicCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Gold is an acceptable form of money and paper money originated as the circulation of receipts for held gold. But gold is not practical for everyday currency (altho silver is for small change as it used to be up to 1964). What is money? It has a trifold purpose of 1) a means of exchange (monopoly money or clay chips would work if universally accepted); 2) it is a measure of value (relative value of different goods and services) and 3) it is a store of value (this is the primary function of gold that is currently paramount).

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
As this is a "conspiracy site" I will offer an addendum as to another purpose of this "Gold Rush." First, all of the ads offering "Cash for Gold" could be a means to mark up gold to a relatively high level (1000-1400) to entice the little people hurt by this economy to sell their gold. That function has worked well. But there is likely a Part Deux to this scheme....and that is for all of those who have bought high in investment form (think Goldline ads on Glenn Beck, etc) will be shaken off the tree before we see truly historic levels (by this I mean above the 1980 gold high adjusted for inflation [$2200~]). Commodity cycles are currently peaking and if economic conditions improve (and concomitantly less of a "fear factor" in the markets) and gold starts to correct more seriously (ie

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
It's not so much a Gold Rush as it is a total fiat currency collapse.
Still, there's plenty of shinanigans going on.
check out: "Silver in Backwardation and the Emperor, Once Again, Nearly Naked"
on bestmetalresearch.
Silver quantity is currently about half the amount as Gold. 1.3 B to 2.3B ounces.
Should be a fun year. ....for those who make the right moves.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
JP Morgan is now accepting gold as collateral for stock purchases.
www.zerohedge.com...

But remember kids, gold is a worthless commodity that has no value, you can't eat, and no one wants it.

Nor can you use it to buy anything - ever.

Pay no attention to the gold bugs.

edit on 16-2-2011 by mnemeth1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

I am impressed. No, really. Very succinct, and knowledgeable.
If you you like do a search for Weimar Republic, all that is happening now has happened before, with one exception....THIS IS MUCH BIGGER.
You need to retain as much of your wealth as is humanly possible. Paper won't do it.
Even if you have Gold and Silver you will still need to be very very sharp about things.
Lots of info at bestmetalresearch

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
SELL GOLD & SILVER NOW:
1382+ & 30.90~ AREA.
KEY RESISTANCE LEVELS.
SHAKE OUT NEXT WEEK!!!

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
This is a huge site and I am sure that its possible that a number of these separate conspiracies theories link together.

Perhaps the elite are trying to harvest all the gold because of the white gold theories going around.

It sounds crazy, but you never know in this world.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
SELL GOLD & SILVER NOW:
1382+ & 30.90~ AREA.
KEY RESISTANCE LEVELS.
SHAKE OUT NEXT WEEK!!!

Wow...searching through Gold related threads, I just read this post. Not only did 1382 & 30.90 not offer resistance, but G&S never looked back.

My sympathies to anyone that dumped their G&S holdings, or took a leveraged short position on this recommendation. A classic example of why one should never follow annonymous trading advice posted on an internet forum.

Gold printing new all time high today...Silver new 30 year high.

*Not advice*

<<   2 >>

join