It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet another reason why the Genesis account is silly.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SunSword

Why is it those who believe in the Bible don't take the time to read the damn thing?

It doesn't say 'let there'...you know what, I'm just going to quote the book itself.

Genesis 1:16

(KJV)
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

(NKJV)
Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.

(NLT)
For God made two great lights, the sun and the moon, to shine down upon the earth. The greater one, the sun, presides during the day; the lesser one, the moon, presides through the night. He also made the stars.

(NIV)
God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.

(ESV)
And God made the two great lights—the greater light to rule the day and the lesser light to rule the night—and the stars.

(NASB)
God made the two *great lights, the greater *light *to govern the day, and the lesser *light *to govern the night; He made the stars also.

(RSV)
And God made the two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night; he made the stars also.

(ASB)
And God made the two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

(YNG)
And God maketh the two great luminaries, the great luminary for the rule of the day, and the small luminary -- and the stars -- for the rule of the night;

(DBY)
And God made the two great lights, the great light to rule the day, and the small light to rule the night, -- and the stars.

(WEB)
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

(HNV)
God made the two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He also made the stars.

I think that's enough English translations...the word is 'made'. As in, created. Hell, I'm just going to go with the original Hebrew, just to hammer my point home.

The word for made is "עשה (`asah)" which translates to...dammit, I'm just going to cite Strong's concordance:

1) to do, fashion, accomplish, make

It's a creative action, not a revealing, not an appointing of task.

Furthermore, I'm just going to address this on a logical level. Were there so much cloud cover that the early Earth had an atmosphere that didn't allow for anyone who would happen to be on the surface to see the Sun or Moon through the clouds, the Earth would have been subject to a phenomenon that is labelled as nuclear winter when it occurs through man-made means.

Now, the passage goes on:

Genesis 1:17-19 (KJV, won't bother providing other translations unless you want to see some, which I can just provide the exact same list I have above)

And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth
And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

So, I just used the Bible to prove that your assertion wouldn't be consistent with how events are described in the Bible. I think you owe me a retraction of statement.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by SunSword

Nope. You are I think misplacing the emphasis.
1st error -- you are equating "made" with "created". You even cite Strong's and he doesn't say created. He says, as you cite: "to do, fashion, accomplish, make".
2nd error which relates to the 1st in context -- you stop at the semi-colon for your meaning. As in, "God made the two great lights" end.
Now put these together. What was God trying to "accomplish" with his making? What was he trying "to do" with his making? When creating something, the accomplishment is in the act itself. But when making something, the accomplishment is for something else. Remember that the original Hebrew did not have punctuation -- no periods, semi-colons, commas, colons. Those are later insertions.
So in context -- God MADE the great lights TO GOVERN or TO RULE. That is, He did not create them at that point, rather it was at that point that He made them to rule, to govern. Do you understand?

You may (or may not) find Science and Genesis One: A Good Correlation of interest. I would like to see your thoughts on that article.

<< 1  2   >>

join