It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Secrets of Schröteri Crater

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

accepted of course

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Thanks to ArMaP we have the elevation map from NASA from the place in question.
From the LBL file:

/*** GENERAL DATA DESCRIPTION PARAMETERS ***/
PRODUCT_VERSION_ID = "V1.04"
DATA_SET_ID = "LRO-L-LOLA-4-GDR-V1.0"
PRODUCT_ID = "LDEM_512_45N_90N_270_360"
INSTRUMENT_HOST_NAME = "LUNAR RECONNAISSANCE ORBITER"
INSTRUMENT_NAME = "LUNAR ORBITER LASER ALTIMETER"
INSTRUMENT_ID = "LOLA"
MISSION_PHASE_NAME = ["COMMISSIONING","NOMINAL MISSION"]
TARGET_NAME = MOON
START_TIME = 2009-07-13T17:33:17.246
STOP_TIME = 2010-09-16T19:15:57.239
PRODUCT_CREATION_TIME = 2010-12-15T00:00:00
PRODUCER_ID = LRO_LOLA_TEAM
PRODUCER_FULL_NAME = "DAVID E. SMITH"
PRODUCER_INSTITUTION_NAME = "GODDARD SPACE FLIGHT CENTER"

Unfortunately I cant find a way to set the .IMG(~2GB) and .LBL files as a displacement map in 3ds max.
So If anyone uses blender 3d here is the link that has a script to set the elevation map.
This is the link for the files.
The one that you need is "45N_90N_270_360".
I'm pretty sure you will need 8+GB ram.
edit on 21/2/11 by defiler because: (no reason given)

edit on 21/2/11 by defiler because: link editing

posted on Feb, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by defiler

Thanks for that information.

Although my computer only has 3GB RAM I will try it, I can only lose time.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
One idea I came up with, is that it is an iron fragment from a distant asteroid strike on the lunar surface. This chunk was projected a long distance from the impact, tumbled for about a hundred meters before coming to a halt, where we see it now.

Iron, or perhaps another metal, explains why it stayed together, and the different reflections it displays.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I will have to see if LRO did a sweep over Vitello crater... if not maybe send in a request. I want to see if it is still there
It did.

And it's still there

(click for full size)
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a015dfe9f644.png[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

And, also....do I spy with my little eye....a smaller boulder, to the right (..is that East? Is the photo North up??).

A boulder, I might wish to point out, with an apparent ground track from having rolled ... in what I can only assume is down a slope. Since gravity tends to make things do that.

Also, the larger object, absent the extreme pixelation from some other images of it, appears far less "unusual" looking. Quite ordinary, in fact......

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Just to make things clear, the above photo doesn't show the same area as the one in the opening post, this one is from Vitello crater.

And there are at least four rolling rocks on that photo.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

OH? Different than the OP? (That's what I get for having the thread in my "Favorites" and looking at just the last few recent posts..).

Assuming, though, the precedent in that crater speaks volumes for Schroteri, though. Gess will stay tuned to see if the elevations and relative topography can be determined....to check for slopes....seems that's the next step.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Assuming, though, the precedent in that crater speaks volumes for Schroteri, though.
That's what makes it on topic(ish).

Gess will stay tuned to see if the elevations and relative topography can be determined....to check for slopes....seems that's the next step.
I'm still working on that.

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Oh, no..That was one of my favorite moon pics!! When I zoomed in, it just looked like a big boulder. But still has a strange odd symmetry to it.. ( OH, but I'm optimistic! it could just be an old broken down whatever, left sitting there, and disguised or camouflaged to look like a rock!!) LOL!!
edit on 23-2-2011 by ellieN because: add a word

edit on 23-2-2011 by ellieN because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
i'm going with not tracks but tunnels. maybe they have muskrats.

big ones.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I really am trying too believe the OP's close up is Rocks but...........
The image seems sharp enough too distinct shadows Uncommon with most Lunar and Earthly rocks in any form Ive seen yet.
Seems really out of place geologically even when comparing other Moon anomalies,etc.

The contrast suggests a machine or unknown "natural" contouring phenom at work.
And if the sizing is correct and assuming its hand made this would probably be part of Nasa's/DOD other Space programs geared at mining/ exploring/outpost or Another forces machinery.
Rocks? Really?

edit on 5-3-2011 by VType because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by VType
The image seems sharp enough too distinct shadows Uncommon with most Lunar and Earthly rocks in any form Ive seen yet.
Why do you say that the shadows are uncommon?

Seems really out of place geologically even when comparing other Moon anomalies,etc.
Not to me, specially if you call a group of rocks an anomaly.

The contrast suggests a machine or unknown "natural" contouring phenom at work.
Could you please explain what contrast are you talking about? The contrast as in image manipulation or the contrast between the object(s) and the surrounding area?

Rocks? Really?
Yes, why not?

posted on Mar, 18 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
all one has to do is imagine the ejecta from certain impact craters coming back to the surface at an angle which results in the "tracks" befor coming to a rest. Simple physics.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I know this is so long after the last post, but the picture of the rock rolling down into the Vitello crater shows just how it looks when rocks roll down slopes - individually.

HOWEVER, in the OP, there are at least 5 'rocks' and the track has regular similar places all along it.

Now, to my mind, however hard you try, you cannot say these 'rocks' have all rolled down this slope in the same run and created this regular patterned shapes. That is just too much to believe. The OP is definitely not a bunch of rocks which have all rolled down the same chute and ended up at the bottom.

Anyone who is suggesting they are rocks is just deceiving themselves, I reckon.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Now, to my mind, however hard you try, you cannot say these 'rocks' have all rolled down this slope in the same run and created this regular patterned shapes. That is just too much to believe. The OP is definitely not a bunch of rocks which have all rolled down the same chute and ended up at the bottom.
I think it was a rock that rolled downhill and stopped against other rocks that were in its way, so the track was made by just one rock.

Anyone who is suggesting they are rocks is just deceiving themselves, I reckon.
Why, just because you have a different opinion?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Maybe he is referring to intellectual dishonesty.

Perhaps he doesn't think there is enough data to say what it is, so anyone who draws an absolute conclusion is not being honest, especially with themselves.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I was browsing that LROC image browser, here:

wms.lroc.asu.edu...

And also *tend* to say it's rocks (look at the other rocks in that picture too and compare!)

HOWEVER - can someone please explain that "moving rocks" phenomenon since i am baffled, *what* moves the rocks on moon, there is no weather/wind etc?

Furthermore...please carefully examine those tracks..someone know what causes those patterns on the tracks?

Why does this formation "move" while the other rocks dont?

Why is not a straight track but has this odd, repeating pattern (it looks like that odd pattern is always on a hill or something looking at the terrain?).

Just interested in what mechanics are involved there.

TY!
edit on 14-8-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
The more I look at it, I see a metal robot giving us the finger. Maybe futurama is real, and Bender's put on a little metal...

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mista25

I thought it was 3 expired astronauts in a toppled moon buggy!

See here....

Clicky

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join