It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

page: 10
<< 7  8  9   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by DuneKnight

Dune, I trust your opinion, and find your take on the subject very informative, I want to ask you,
Do you think this revolution was legit or was it fueled by outside influences?

edit on 092828p://bThursday2011 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

The revolution was spearheaded by Egypt's frustrated youth I never doubted that. Ever since the 2005 elections people have been bitter at how those "democratic" elections went. And 2007-2010 have been years of small youth protests that were either prevented from protesting or crushed by anti-riot police. I remember in 2008 when I had my camera confiscated during a protest in downtown and only given back after an american "anarchist" I knew then went up to the police and persuaded him to hand it back that day gov warned people from going out into any of streets and there was a lockdown. So this has been building up thanks to the internet. Sure the revolution shocked many of us that it happened all of a sudden but this year 2011 was promised to be a very rough year for egypt anyway and most predicted the revolution would happen after the rigged elections. But the gov wouldve been too prepared then and Tunisia showed egyptians its possible.

As for lara logan, you cant stereotype egyptians, same way you cant stereotype americans. There are people there who hate jews and others who dont. Whenever the topic of israel comes up you will find someone complaining about how arabs arent acting against the "israeli aggression" and at the same time you will get someone else saying egypt shouldn't get involved in matters concerning palestine. So there are different views which is why its hard to predict the outcome of this revolution. I think what happened to lara logan was a reminder of how terribly uneducated and immoral many egyptians are. But also I think something like that couldve happened in other countries with the same circumstances. Especially considering the police were not around and that barrier is what keeps society "civilized". A couple of days ago I just saw a supermarket owner got all his clerks and gang and attacked the nearby restaurant resulting in a violent and bloody street gang war. Clearly taking advantage of the lawlessness in the city. Turns out the restaurant owner insulted the supermarket owner's palestinian heritage. This is just an example of all the crimes that happened until police came back to the streets recently.

I talked to people who live in small cities and countryside and they said they only watched State TV, and they didn't know much about any revolution taking place this whole time. So the world watched what many egyptians didn't. In these places its not even socially acceptable to watch al jazeera as they deem it an enemy of egypt. Most did actually like Mubarak, they are mainly uneducated lower class who have a "peasant" mindset where they feel fortunate that their own agricultural land hasn't been invaded by the evil menace for 30 years because of mubarak's power that stands in the way. They view israel as a country hellbent on invading egypt but is unsuccessful because of mubarak, thats how uninformed they normally are. Thats why when CNN or whatever talk about egypt's protests they mention it was driven by Egypt's powerful middle class. The lower class dont care for democracy, in past elections they voted for whoever paid them to vote. After mubarak resigned, tahrir became packed with new people from all over so you can't say lara logan was harrassed by protesters.

Here is a video I shot on that day probably hours later i presume after logan was harrassed by I can't be sure. In the video at 2:30 thats where a sad faced old guy warned me not to go to that dark street in the far background because it was full of "indecent" gangs of hooligans, he warned me because I had women with me and I was actually headed over there. But I don't think i got a proper shot of these hooligans they were talking about.

edit on 20-2-2011 by DuneKnight because: (no reason given)

<< 7  8  9   >>

join