It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Im sorry but thank GOD they didn't have our battalion over there assisting the egyptian military. We would have put a bullet in each one of those" decent" peoples heads. You morons want to prove a point by doing this?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Yes, of course, seeing as any decent person would feel disgust at this. Or are you implying that decency is absent from the Egyptians who were protesting against tyranny?

I did find this which puts things in perspective rather,

Fellow Reporters Heartlessly Mock Lara Logan after Assault

And this:

How Muslims Celebrate

edit on 16-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

www.cbsnews.com

...In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

(visit the link for the full news article)

People like this amaze me. You know all hell is breaking loose and you walk yourself right into the middle of it. Common sense is a thing of the past apparently.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

THIS IS DISGUSTING! that poor woman, i as a woman cry for incidents like this, not only is it a violation of human rights but she has children to, i cant believe this, these animals did something unspeakable, ib getting fed up with the bs in the middle eat, first a young girl is beaten for being raped! and now this? i hope every single one of these offenders gets whats coming to them i realy do!

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It is sickening but I'm not really surprised everything I've seen about Muslims suggest they see non Muslims as worthless or animals. Of course you could say that about many religions and I'm sure there are many who don't feel that way but I've yet to meet any.

You can say this could happen anywhere but the truth of the matter is it wouldn't.

I've a feeling if you had some figures to look at I think you would find this kind of thing is very common against females there and in all Muslim countrys. Last thing I read about this kind of thing there was their opinions that any female without chaperones was asking for it, with that kind of attitude towards their own women you can only guess how lowly they think of foreign women.

Sickening but a little common sense could have seen it coming and avoided the situation. I'd say the blames with CBS and she should sue them.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Ever since news of this was reported its been playing on my mind.
This assault is unspeakable but its also a matter of fact that sexual assault in Egypt is more common than most realise.

Now, some observations. Most visiting western women to the arab world will use a veil, this is what my girlfriend did for example when visiting non tourist areas. We are told that it affords women a certain amount of protection or at least will reduce the amount of attention received from men. Additionally any female tourist with blonde hair can vouch for the fact that local men give them more unwanted attention than dark haired females. I'm not going to go into the argument that men can't control themselves, its pathetic, obviously there is no excuse for being 'tempted' into wanting to sexually assault a woman.

I don't agree with some comments I've read that say that female reporters should hide in a studio because something might happen. I mean one might as well say that women generally should hide at home at night time because there is a higher risk of being attacked. However, one should try to reduce the risks as much as possible and I don't believe that this happened. Maybe it was because everything was so chaotic, perhaps she wasn't able to get back the studio in time to put a veil on or to change her clothes. I do know that in one moment she must have realised that the situation was beyond her control, which is horrible to think about. The situation is the stuff that nightmares are made of, she will have to be very strong to get through it mentally.

I am truly sickened by this assault but there must also be lessons to be learnt.

One final point OP stated that this was a rape.It was reported as a sexual assualt. The OP does not know if it was rape or not, so there is little point in presenting speculation as fact.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
The media would have said "rape" if it was rape. She probably just got groped and had her clothes ripped off

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Clearly this attack is deplorable. That said, I've travelled in the middle east and any sensible woman with long, blond hair would wear a head scarf and cover their skin as much as possible.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
This made me sick when I first read about it, Lara Logan is not only an awesome news correspondent but one of the bravest and most professional reporters I have ever seen. I have often wondered whether or not she has enough security watching over her when she is on these locations. I guess now I know the answer to that.

She practically lives on foreign land and reports from some of the wildest shi**y locations with total professionalism and she will be in my thoughts and prayers. I hope she has a speedy "physical" recovery, and is not scarred mentally from what she went through at the hands of these low life scum bags.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
FIRSTLY....

THEY WERE MOST LIKELY AMERICAN BACKED, MUBARAK CRIMINALS, WHO HAVE BEEN DOING THIS TO THE EGYPTIAN PEOPLE, UNDER ORDERS FROM LARA LOGANS COUNTRY....FOR YEARS. HAVE A WORD WITH YOUR GOV. FIRST!

AND...DO NOT SEND LAME MEN WITH LAME WOMEN TO COVER A REVOLUTION.

LASTLEY....THIS COULD VERY WELL BE PROPAGANDA...I HAVE SEEN A STRING OF US REPORTERS TRYING TO TURN THE REVOLUTION INTO A DIRTY ONE....KEEP THE ISSUE OF REVOLUTION JUST THAT..A REVOLUTION...TO THESE COREOGRAPHERD SIDE ACTS I SAY ....I SAY # OFF AND GROW UP TO ALL FOREIGN ANXIOUS TWATS WHO DONT KNOW WHEN TO BACK OFF AND DONT SEND DUMB REPORTERS TO COVER SUCH SERIOUS STORIES...

TAHYA MISR....TOZ TO THE PROPAGANDA SNAKES
edit on 16-2-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
main stream reporters are a bunch of liars
and do anything to publish a story

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I'm wagering a wild guess based on historical anecdotes from countries in the region that CBS needed to get her on a plane back to the US as quickly as possible to prevent her from being sentenced to death for being a victim of rape.
That shouldn't be funny in the slightest...but I can't stop laughing...

On a serious note, this is quite sad and disturbing considering her intent, there isn't much more to say about it. At least she got out alive.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Is this horrible? Yes

Is it an occupational hazard for a journalist? Yes

The news coming from Egypt was not about some record litter of puppies, there was a clash between a puppet goverment and its ruling military against people who were tired of the oppression. Anyone who thought the military would just hand over the keys to the country is not living in the real world.

Any Journalist worth their salt knows the risks.
edit on 16-2-2011 by Helmkat because: The is not this

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
OP, the story is obviously very tragic.

But I am absolutely disgusted at the bigoted spin you put on it for your own ends. You should be ashamed.

You conclude 'well, there's your strung out ''bloodless protests in favour of democracy'' for you' and so blame and smear all those opposing Mubarak and fighting for their freedom, saying 'they just raped' a reporter. How dare you. You try to paint all the victims of Mubaraks murderous regime who were risking their lives, day after day, in the square as 'supposedly downtrodden people who ultimately act like animals'.

'They' did not rape her. 'They' were overwhelmingly good people who were a model of restraint, patience courage and kindness, despite being attacked by police, mobs and snipers.

The article says that a 'dangerous element' of about 200 people among the hundreds of thousands in the square did this.

You automatically rule out the idea that they could have been pro-Mubarak people (you know, the thugs and criminals who according to the western reporters habitually attacked them) when you have NO REASON to do so. We have no idea who did this but it certainly seems more likely that it was those who had attacked foreigners and the media before, were doing so again. It was a city centre, a crowd of many hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Who knows who was among them and why at that point.

We do know that the Pro-Democracy protesters were relying on the media and were grateful for worldwide exposure and support for their plight.

For you to blame them, and attempt to tarnish them all with the same brush as rapists and animals and 'supposedly downtrodden', without justification other than your own very evident prejudice, is contemptible. As is using this tragedy as excuse for doing so.

Shame on you.

You owe an apology to hundreds of thousands of the victims of the regime in Egypt who fought and died for the kinds of principles you claim they do not have.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

I completely agree, funny how a great amount of people blindely rush to acuse EVERYONE when it is obvious and a known fact that this terrible act was carried out by a minority group situated in the crowd. Why the ignorance? I happen to have been to egypt and have only good things to say about the people, their hospitality and kindness stands out. Unfortunately you get sick indiviuals in ALL societies, all countries in ALL nationalities.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Lara Logan was assaulted and her pain is my pain also - may she recover and be whole again.

However, it has to be said she was there by choice when most other journalists had retreated and left the country, so what happened to common sense? This reminds me of the female, blond corporate executive about 10 years ago felt she had the right to go jogging in Central Park (New York City) at 10pm! Yes at night. She wound up raped and beaten, in a coma for several months, many broken bones and then two years or so of physical therapy relearning how to walk.

OK, sure, she had the right but should she have gone jogging at night? In Central Park, for Pete's sake? How many other females, and males!, were jogging - probably none. I'm a fairly imposing guy and I wouldn't set one foot in CP after 7pm. Isn't her act irresponsible and lacking common sense?

Back to Lara Logan. Take away the issue of gender and being blond, and just substitute "male reporter in the wrong place at the wrong time...by his own (bad) choice, and I believe you get a dumb-ass male journalist who risked his life for glory - read "bonus", "cred", "career", "cushy contract", TV appearances, all the good stuff. And are American audiences so depraved as to want to see him, or Lara, "almost in the Sh..t" but miraculously get out of it? Sorry, to me this whole thing was predictable reality, not a reality tv program where a Pepsi break can be called if things get dicey.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
reply to post by robyn

Erm, you do know that a similar amount of male babies have their foreskins cut off in America?

To us Europeans, it's just weird and rather barbaric that Americans cut bits off infants penises. But then, as you say, we're not all the same. But I suppose they have their reasons.

And no, Im not in favour of female circumcism, I just think people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Maybe stop cutting bits off babies in the US before complaining about the bits they cut off.

Male and female circumcision are hardly comparable. If female circumcision was common or legal in the US, then it would be a case of "people in glass houses throwing stones". It is also illegal in Egypt, but still widely considered acceptable.

On topic, news correspondents working in such unpredictable environments require effective security. If she was not provided with adequate protection then "the mob" are not the only ones at fault here. Additionally, being surrounded by a large crowd of strangers is dangerous regardless of where you are in the world, especially so if they do not identify with you. She was surely aware of the risks and should not have placed herself in a situation where she was so vulnerable.

I don't feel that I have to point out that their actions where abhorrent, but I don't think that their political alignment is relevant, as I would hope that the proportion of people in any population who would consider rape “fine” or “acceptable” would be extremely small.
edit on 16/2/11 by Soshh because: typo

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I've been living in Egypt for a long time, this kind of thing has nothing to do with the revolution that happened. This has been an Egypt problem for quiet some time now thanks to the decay in egyptian society; unemployed youth, uneducated, poor class, etc. Women are constantly harassed unless they have a man next to them. If someone is pretty then she will be a target usually by a pack of hooligans basically a mob. Some upscale areas "prevent" these mobs from entering, its easy you can tell by the way they dress and behave. Its terrible what happened, i honestly thought this was something that only happened to egyptian women, because the police gives no mercy to anyone who gives tourists a hard time; it was part of national security ironicly. But now there was no police and after mubarak resigned some of these lowlifes probably took the opportunity; they don't care about their country or whatever they just roam the streets looking for trouble.

I was there in the streets near Tahrir that day and military as well as civilians had set up different pathways for families that is separate from the other one for males only especially gangs who went to tahrir for first time. In egypt we have different subways for women, women are told to always stay away from being in a crowd regardless, and normal people told the women I was with the same thing when I was there. Celebration or not, when there are that many people coming from who knows where, there is always the danger of being stuck with the wrong crowd. The whole of Egypt was there the good and the bad. I remember this stuff was part of public debate in 2008 where a wave of sexual harrassments hit egypt's streets basically forcing women to not be alone or stay at home; it was that bad. Its not an islamic thing, not sure what, some analysts said it is sexual frustration that society is too sexually repressed in an age where that cannot be sustained anymore. Others claimed it was simply poverty, unemployment that prevented these youth from getting married or having a decent life so naturally their resentment is displaced on women. One thing for sure, harrassments seem to happen during holidays or some kind of festive thing thats when you see the mobs all over the streets looking for trouble and in recent years Egyptian women never ever go public during the Eid holiday ever. I once did with my sister and what a mistake it was. Hope the people who done this get punished if its possible, tougher laws are needed I think or educate young impoverished egyptian men to respect women in this what will hopefully be a new democracy.

topics.blogs.nytimes.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.google.com...
edit on 16-2-2011 by DuneKnight because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-2-2011 by DuneKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Well, there's your strung out "bloodless protests in favor of democracy in Egypt" for you. They just raped one of the very reporters that has a history of standing up for the people of the region and was very supportive of their (stated) goal of overthrowing the "tyrany" of Mubarak. I'm wagering a wild guess based on historical anecdotes from countries in the region that CBS needed to get her on a plane back to the US as quickly as possible to prevent her from being sentenced to death for being a victim of rape.

There is zero defense for this, but we see it time after time. Groups of supposedly downtrodden people who ultimately act like the very animals they complain about being compared to by whatever in control group or individual they are protesting against. I'm sure the article itself will be warped and manipulated as it spreads to indicate that she was raped by "Mubarak thugs" as pretty much any and all acts of violence in the Egypt saga have conveniently been spun by the media and Western politicians.

www.cbsnews.com

(visit the link for the full news article)

This is propaganda to get the american public into hating protests/protesters. So more of "we will give you your opinion" mentality. Sorry this trick is old and overdone.

We get it the people are raving lunatics and the elite are gods/princes/geniuses/superior. We get the pro-elite scripted programming. Got some popcorn?

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
I have a feeling it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, where things just got out of hand. I'd like to know the real story about who her assailants really were.

Dual purpose job; agent provacateuring with a little revenge mixed in for a story she did in the past possibly?

Peace

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I have a feeling it wasn't a spur of the moment thing, where things just got out of hand. I'd like to know the real story about who her assailants really were.

Dual purpose job; agent provacateuring with a little revenge mixed in for a story she did in the past possibly?

Peace

Not sure, that sounds far-fetched to me. The government wanted to create chaos to show people what would happen without the existence of the government. But now thats over, regime is out. Well almost, i think mubarak should leave the country having him there is a little disturbing, he could be running things behind the scenes.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join