It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
reply to post by WingedBull

I don't think its doubtful at all, in fact I think it was inevitable. This was the period after he had resigned and thousands upon thousands more poured intovthe streets to celebrate.

Pro-mubarak people had lost, politically and in the street battles, but they don't have Mubarak tattooed on their fore.s. They can easily move among the crowds at that point. And it wouldn't surprise me if they took some revenge on the media they felt had contributed to their downfall.

The point is though, we just dont know. But the OP acts like he does, and condemns without justification. There were groups of released and paid criminals, secret police and other regime thugs on the streets, even after the battle was over. Yet the OP maligns all the protesters.

Oh man. You say rape could be instigated by a political agenda!? You are rationalizing this animalistic act and blaming in on pro-Mabarek people? This was done out a deep seated hatred of women. It's cultural, not political. Muslim men (at least men raised under this type of hateful teaching) feel threatened by strong, independent women so they keep them sheltered, sequestered, covered and silent. If they get out of there 'box' they are subject to reprisal. This, I think, was the real reason.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrkn4livn
Muslim men (at least men raised under this type of hateful teaching) feel threatened by strong, independent women so they keep them sheltered, sequestered, covered and silent.

Please. I live in the Southeast USA and could easily make many of the same arguments.

edit on 15/2/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Darce

Take a quick look of the picture of Logan "moments before she was attacked". Does that croud behind her look like a mob of of the plainclothes policemen and hired thugs? It doesn't to me.

I dont think that photo tells us anything. Especially so as a news agency is likey to use ANY photo of the reporter among crowds from that day and label it as 'moments before she was attacked' because it increases reader tension, as if they are peering into the very moment of the attack. If they didnt have a photo from the time, they'll present it as if they have. It happens all the time. Its done to increase dramatic tension. So we really dont know if the photo is pertinent or not.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by Malcram

Take a quick look of the picture of Logan "moments before she was attacked". Does that croud behind her look like a mob of of the plainclothes policemen and hired thugs? It doesn't to me.

As much as I wonder about those people around her, I also wonder why CBS would release such a picture. I think it's exploitive as well.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Yeah, I knew those dirty Arabs were savages and remember they are all MOSLEMS TOO.

Of course I don’t mean that and those hu know me know I dont mean it.

This is horrible. Rape is the worst crime next to murder IMO.

This reporter is not only a beautiful person but a great reporter. And my prayers go out to her and her family.

Lets all just call this what it is. . . the age old horror that all woman have to be fearful of. Abuse from the male savage amongst us.

Possibly this was an organized effort by some group that wanted to throw some dirt on this revolution. Recall the beating that the CNN guy Anderson Cooper got.

I think both these reporters are from CNN.

I know you’ll know that CNN is CIA.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

She had been stationed in Egypt for some years and was CBS' main correspondant in the Middle East. She wasn't attacked while Mubarak was in power and keeping things held together. Take from that whatever you will, but it tells me that women were safer in Egypt before all of this Western governemnt driven, media manipulated uprising took place.

What an idiotic thing to say based on abject ignorance, massive causal reasoning fail, lack of knowledge, and presumably spoon-fed dogma. So what, there were no rapes in Egypt when Mubarak was in power? Or is this another "at least when Mussolini was in power the trains ran on time" argument? A woman was sexually attacked by Egyptians, helped by Egyptians, and it has no more to do with who is in power that the color of your hair. What a sad state of affairs when even the most obvious tragic circumstance has to be spun for personal ideology. Pathetic!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

Rape is constantly used as part of a political agenda, around the world. Even men arresred and tortured by the Egyptian police were threatened with rape as an intimidation tool. Its used extensively as a political tool of intimidation in certain african countries. So yes, its entirely possible it was politically motivated, and nothing to specifically to do with 'Islam'.

And dont twist my words please. I never said it was pro-Mubarak people who committed this crime. I said we DONT KNOW who did it or why. I just said that it makes infinitely more sense that it might be Mubaraks anti media criminals. Its you and the OP who makes assumptions: that it was the pro-democracy protesters who did this and that it was because they were Muslims.
edit on 15-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Are you aware that over 90% of the women in Egypt have undergone female circumcision? The practice continues unabated despite laws prohibiting it.

en.wikipedia.org...

I don't understand our naivety as Americans believing that everyone in the world is JUST LIKE US sharing the same values and sense of morality. I do support others' right to believe as they do except when their beliefs include that I or anyone else should be MURDERED for their beliefs.

I hope Lara recovers quickly though I suspect emotionally that will be a very hard road.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

First and foremost, nowhere in the sourced story is there any accusation of "rape". That is a completely subjective interpretation on the part of the OP of the phrase "brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating". Not surprising when considered in the light of the obvious anti-protester bias displayed in the followup post.

In point of fact, what we have is a young, blonde obviously foreign female, dressed in a manner which could be considered provocative in a predominately Muslin culture, surrounded by an emotionally charged mob. I'm sure that she recieved some bruises from the general jostling and I'm equally sure that she was the victim of sustained groping and prodding before being "rescued". Before the flaming begins, let me say that I am in no way condoning the treatment which she received. It is deplorable. But it also does not seem to rise to the level of criminality implied and mis-stated by the OP.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

What kind of bigot are you. What does what you say have to do with this?

I was hoping this thread wouldnt turn into a bash the arab moslems and their dirt culture.

How dare you!

The rape of WHITE EUROPEANS ON BLAK WOMAN IN AMERICA IS THE WORST CRIME IN HISTORY!
And you dare talk about another culture

THIS IS A CRIME.

A GROUP OF OF SAVGE MEN RAPED A WOMAN

IT HAPPENS IN AMERICA AND THE WEST MORE THAN ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD

SO HOW DARE YOU!
edit on 15-2-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-2-2011 by inforeal because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by robyn

Erm, you do know that a similar amount of male babies have their foreskins cut off in America?

To us Europeans, it's just weird and rather barbaric that Americans cut bits off infants penises. But then, as you say, we're not all the same. But I suppose they have their reasons.

And no, Im not in favour of female circumcism, I just think people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Maybe stop cutting bits off babies in the US before complaining about the bits they cut off.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal

IT HAPPENS IN AMERICA AND THE WEST MORE THAN ANY PLACE IN THE WORLD

Evidence?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Glad to ablige!

Every two minutes a woman is raped in the US.

www.paralumun.com...

The US ranks 9th in the world on Rape

www.nationmaster.com...

Oh. . . I am ready for you bro, anytime you want some truth

THEY DONT CALL ME INFOREAL
FOR NOTHING!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tholidor
I'm sure that she recieved some bruises from the general jostling and I'm equally sure that she was the victim of sustained groping and prodding before being "rescued".

Perhaps you should try reading the article again...

...returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.
SOURCE

The article was posted today; she's been in the hospital since she returned to the United States on Saturday. That is not a "general jostling" and "some bruises".

Despite your claim you are not condoning what happened, you seem to be doing your best to both downplay it and blame the victim.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by inforeal

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say.

~William W. Watt

edit on 15-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by inforeal
Oh. . . I am ready for you bro, anytime you want some truth

You said it happens more in the United States and the West more than anywhere else in the world. But according to your statistics, that is not true; South Africa is the leader. Also, notice the caveat at the bottom of the page...

Crime statistics are often better indicators of prevalence of law enforcement and willingness to report crime, than actual prevalence.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
While I hope that the reporter is alright, I do find it puzzling that she would return so soon after she and her crew were in an incident a few days ago... add to that a couple of articles via esquire.. it is testing the smell test for me...

Lara Logan's Egypt Interrogation Tell-All: "The Army Is Not on the Peoples' Side. The Army Is on Its Own Side.

Lara Logan has, so far, not been declared insane. This despite arriving in Cairo today, just as President Mubarak was leaving, just a week after her driver was beaten there and she — a CBS News reporter, one of America's most visible foreign correspondents — was detained and interrogated in secret along with her crew, by the army, in an undisclosed location, and told to leave the country, post-haste. Because Mubarak was about to step down, and chaos would break out anew. And yet, a voice comes on in the background over the phone Thursday night: an airline pilot reminding Logan and her fellow passengers that they're in for what should be a smooth, overnight flight to Egypt.

and this:

Lara Logan Assaulted in Egypt: Notes from the Night Before

we've culled from the transcript of that interview in light of today's news.
On returning to Egypt a week after being detained and expelled: "Part of me feels like it's really insane, but the other part of me made a very considered, rational decision with my teammates."
On who she was traveling with: "I'm not the only one going back, my producer is coming with me. And with my husband. We made this decision together. And with my boss."
On the precautions they'd be taking: "We've made sure that the Egyptian embassy in the U.S. knows we’re going. They're fully aware of it. They know what our purpose is, that we're journalists. We’ve made every effort to try and get media accreditation before we left, but the Embassy said because of the backup they couldn't [get it to us], so they're trying to help us on the ground. There are no surprises here this time. It is a better plan. Again, it's not foolproof, you know?"
On worrying about a repeat scenario: "Sure, of course you can never discount [that], it would be foolish to discount that possibility."
On traveling with private security: "No. We are not. It's been so chaotic. I think we do have a security person on with us now, on our team, but I haven't had a chance to even address that."

I am not saying that it didn't happen, and I am not saying that it did... I just have a raised eyebrow as to how a CBS correspondent, who was detained a handful of days earlier, was allowed to return by the news agency without proper security in place?

This story is a .shaker for me... :shk:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtnI just have a raised eyebrow as to how a CBS correspondent, who was detained a handful of days earlier, was allowed to return by the news agency without proper security in place?

This story is a .shaker for me... :shk:

Well for sure it makes me more inclined to think she was targeted for political purposes.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I am not looking at that angle.... I am looking at another...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

The US has over 300 million people. Do you know how many rapes that is at two a minute!? Not that I want to belabor this, since it is not on topic.

This was a tragedy.
Rape is a vicious crime.
It is a crime of men against woman.
As men this is our shame, and I hope woman take all efforts to protect and defend themselves.

Rape like poverty and disease and oppression is a bane on humankind and should be condemned no matter where it happens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join