It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

www.cbsnews.com

...In the crush of the mob, she was separated from her crew. She was surrounded and suffered a brutal and sustained sexual assault and beating before being saved by a group of women and an estimated 20 Egyptian soldiers. She reconnected with the CBS team, returned to her hotel and returned to the United States on the first flight the next morning. She is currently in the hospital recovering.

(visit the link for the full news article)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Well, there's your strung out "bloodless protests in favor of democracy in Egypt" for you. They just raped one of the very reporters that has a history of standing up for the people of the region and was very supportive of their (stated) goal of overthrowing the "tyrany" of Mubarak. I'm wagering a wild guess based on historical anecdotes from countries in the region that CBS needed to get her on a plane back to the US as quickly as possible to prevent her from being sentenced to death for being a victim of rape.

There is zero defense for this, but we see it time after time. Groups of supposedly downtrodden people who ultimately act like the very animals they complain about being compared to by whatever in control group or individual they are protesting against. I'm sure the article itself will be warped and manipulated as it spreads to indicate that she was raped by "Mubarak thugs" as pretty much any and all acts of violence in the Egypt saga have conveniently been spun by the media and Western politicians.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Dang man, sorry to hear it and at the same time I guess I am no too surprised. Was she actually raped?!

I hope not, although any unwanted sexual aggression is a violation. These reporters need an entourage of security with them. Best wishes for her, she is an exceptional reporter and very committed and involved.

Peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Inexcusable.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I just saw this however I got that feeling when this first started. I remember looking at all the protesters and thinking where are the women and why are they not out protesting along side the men.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist
Was she actually raped?!:

"Brutal and sustained sexual assault"
Media/criminal sympathist doublespeak for "rape."
Remember way back in the 80s when we had crimes whose names elicited anger at the perpetrators and sympathy for the victim? "Rape", "Murder", "Armed Robbery", and "Molestation" were deemed too charged, too likely to cause the average person to actually feel emotions towards the criminal and for the victim. These words were changed to muddy the waters enough to cause people to be unsure about what the feel. Terms like "sexual assault" these days can mean anything from verbal harassment to grabbed to raped, thus people are less likely to know instantly whether the accused should be slapped on the wrist or castrated and hung by the neck.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
There is nothing more dangerous than the mob, and the mob has been feared since Roman times for that precise reason, and why wise governments take steps to make sure one never forms.

I have witnessed mob frenzy first hand and witnessed an innocent person beaten to death within the span a few short minutes by people who get caught up in the herd mentality and just follow along, often not knowing why, often simply believing because they can.

A woman had falsely accused a fleeing man of rape with a scream, when the dust settled it turned out the woman was the dead man's wife, the man who was a crack addict departing the home with that weeks grocery money so she yelled rape hoping passing bystanders might stop him.

They did from breathing for ever more.

This was the streets of West Hollywood California, a mostly upscale white neighborhood in Los Angeles.

Within minutes a mob of 20 plus people jumping out of cars and passing by were taking part in the beating and savagely beat the man to death that quickly.

Who is the mob, we are the mob, and this is what happens when governments fail to consider and abuse the people, they are no longer governed by anything but their emotions and impulses.

What this story doesn't say is whether the people who perpetrated this attack where Mubarak supporters, or anti-Mubarak or just opportunistic criminals who as we can see in hurricanes and floods and earthquakes and black outs who take to the streets when government does break down.

A tragedy always, avoidable when governments cater to their people instead of the elite.

edit on 15/2/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A person has to be aware of their environment.
wrongsideoftown Detroit anyone?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
this is a terrible thing but we must hold off all judgement til all the story is clear. rape and sexual misconduct are inexcuseable, that reporter had alot of guts to be there amidst the protests. the journalists were given warning not to be there and other jouranlists were beaten in the days prior to this happening. there is no excuse for being raped no matter what the circumstance, all im saying is that lady was very brave to be there, i'm just not sure she should have been. i almost want to compare it to a reporter wanting to be at the eye of the storm, there is a big chance he or she will get hurt!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones

That what I've taught my children. Watching those broadcasts, I always felt that the reporters were very close to being ripped apart. Who's brilliant idea was it to sent a blonde female into a crowd of stirred up men (who, by the way, have a written history of beating, raping and imprisoning women for being women). OK, you can say, well she's a woman and can do it if she wants to. OK. It's just worse that it's a women. But I'm afraid that's only in our (western) view. Most of the Muslim world would say she shouldn't have been there and she should have expected it (I'm confident that that the Muslim view would be just that, not the westernized Muslims, but the Iraqi, Iranian, Turkish, Indian, Eurasian Muslims). Nothing will happen from this and the foreign aid will continue to pour in. Billions and billions.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wrkn4livn

Originally posted by Danbones

Who's brilliant idea was it to sent a blonde female into a crowd of stirred up men (who, by the way, have a written history of beating, raping and imprisoning women for being women).

what were they thinking!!!! its almost like sending an 8 yr old reporter to a child molesters convention. it would be like having a gay, jewish, black man report at a neo-nazi rally.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

She had been stationed in Egypt for some years and was CBS' main correspondant in the Middle East. She wasn't attacked while Mubarak was in power and keeping things held together. Take from that whatever you will, but it tells me that women were safer in Egypt before all of this Western governemnt driven, media manipulated uprising took place.

It has been held unquestioned that the call by Mubarak's government and millitary for foreign media to leave Egypt 2 weeks ago was to stifle the news and censor coverage of this "revolution." I have to wonder if it was much more about Mubarak and the millitary knowing what the protestors & revolutionaries would do to those journalists and anyone else they could get their hands on in absence of the government keeping the same safe.

+35 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
OP, the story is obviously very tragic.

But I am absolutely disgusted at the bigoted spin you put on it for your own ends. You should be ashamed.

You conclude 'well, there's your strung out ''bloodless protests in favour of democracy'' for you' and so blame and smear all those opposing Mubarak and fighting for their freedom, saying 'they just raped' a reporter. How dare you. You try to paint all the victims of Mubaraks murderous regime who were risking their lives, day after day, in the square as 'supposedly downtrodden people who ultimately act like animals'.

'They' did not rape her. 'They' were overwhelmingly good people who were a model of restraint, patience courage and kindness, despite being attacked by police, mobs and snipers.

The article says that a 'dangerous element' of about 200 people among the hundreds of thousands in the square did this.

You automatically rule out the idea that they could have been pro-Mubarak people (you know, the thugs and criminals who according to the western reporters habitually attacked them) when you have NO REASON to do so. We have no idea who did this but it certainly seems more likely that it was those who had attacked foreigners and the media before, were doing so again. It was a city centre, a crowd of many hundreds of thousands, if not millions. Who knows who was among them and why at that point.

We do know that the Pro-Democracy protesters were relying on the media and were grateful for worldwide exposure and support for their plight.

For you to blame them, and attempt to tarnish them all with the same brush as rapists and animals and 'supposedly downtrodden', without justification other than your own very evident prejudice, is contemptible. As is using this tragedy as excuse for doing so.

Shame on you.

You owe an apology to hundreds of thousands of the victims of the regime in Egypt who fought and died for the kinds of principles you claim they do not have.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Nothing surprising here, given that she was in a Muslim majority country where the women have to wear headscarves and covered from head to toe in order to not get raped by men.

The men in these countries are so primitive and have zero self restraint that even the sight of a woman's hair is considered provocative and she is then fair game.

When will these people get out of the stone age???

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
You automatically rule out the idea that they could have been pro-Mubarak people (you know, the thugs and criminals who according to the western reporters habitually attacked them) when you have NO REASON to do so....

From the article...

she and her team and their security were surrounded by a dangerous element amidst the celebration. It was a mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy.

Doubtful Mubarak supporters would be in that situation. If it was pro-democracy elements, these people have a lot to learn about the difference between democracy and liberty.

Either way, I hope some of these men met slow, painful deaths at the end of the rifles of the soldiers who rescued her.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steam
Nothing surprising here, given that she was in a Muslim majority country where the women have to wear headscarves and covered from head to toe in order to not get raped by men.

The men in these countries are so primitive and have zero self restraint that even the sight of a woman's hair is considered provocative and she is then fair game.

You clearly don't know anything anout Egypt. You've got an imagined generic oppressive fantasy in your mind, as if all muslim countries were the same, rather than the facts. Women don't have to wear the headscarf to escape rape in Egypt, thats absurd. If that were in any way true, then both the western and arabic women reporters for all the news agencies, including Al Jazeera would have all worn scarves, if only to show respect. They didn't, because it's not necessary.

Educate yourself before you make such ignorant and bigoted comments in future.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Obviously a tragic and horrible thing to have happened to the reporter. I'd have to say that the likelihood is pretty high that something like that could have happened just about anywhere, given similar situation (protest size, length of time, tone, agenda, etc). Mass protests that turn violent are not exclusive to the M.E. I think this situation that led to the attack can be blamed on the environment and not on the country...

edit on 15-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram

Originally posted by Steam

You clearly don't know anything anout Egypt. You've got an imagined generic oppressive fantasy in your mind, as if all muslim countries were the same, rather than the facts. Women don't have to wear the headscarf to escape rape in Egypt, thats absurd. If that were in any way true, then both the western and arabic women reporters for all the news agencies, including Al Jazeera would have all worn scarves, if only to show respect. They didn't, because it's not necessary.

Educate yourself before you make such ignorant and bigoted comments in future.

No, if you are a Muslim woman then yes you would have to wear a headscarf.

The key being Muslim, Christian women do not wear headscarves (Christians make up about 10% of population of Egypt). This would explain why you would see some women not wearing headscarves.

You can call me bigoted and ignorant all you want but I know all about this from talking to a Muslim friend I know. At least I know how to spell or use spell check

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WingedBull

I don't think its doubtful at all, in fact I think it was inevitable. This was the period after he had resigned and thousands upon thousands more poured into the streets to celebrate.

Pro-mubarak people had lost, politically and in the street battles, but they don't have Mubarak tattooed on their foreheads. They can easily move among the crowds at that point. And it wouldn't surprise me if they took some revenge on the media they felt had contributed to their downfall.

The point is though, we just dont know. But the OP acts like he does, and condemns without justification. There were groups of released and paid criminals, secret police and other regime thugs on the streets, even after the battle was over. Yet the OP maligns all the protesters.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Malcram

Take a quick look of the picture of Logan "moments before she was attacked". Does that croud behind her look like a mob of of the plainclothes policemen and hired thugs? It doesn't to me.

Now that being said, I understand where you're coming from, and in all fair judgement we should wait until Logan is willing to give her account of what happened, if she chooses to do so.

Let's just reserve judgement and use some common sense for now. We can't know who was behind this, but I agree with the OP in that it seems unlikely she could have been kidnapped all of a sudden by a mob of 200 pro-mubarak thugs in the midst of a large croud of 'peaceful demonstrators'. I'm not saying it's impossible, just unlikely.

If the rapists and attackers were not hired thugs or police, then it surely does shine a forboding light on the motivations of the revolution as a whole, does it not? After all, they were stopped by women (and 20 soldiers), does that not suggest they were not hired brutes, but the common pupulace? It does to me. 200 hired brutes would be unstoppable, no?

Let's all just pray for Lara Logan in her recovery for now and make our final judgements when the facts are straight. I repect her and her reporting so much, this saddens me. Hired thugs, police, or civilians, those who did this can only be describes as "animals". It's not right to hijack this in order to spout personal hatred, certainly, but how can you not hate those who would do such a thing?
edit on 15-2-2011 by Darce because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join