It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea Develops SUPER GUN - (aEGIS 2)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
South Korea has developed what's being called a super gun. The automated, turret-based, weapon-platform, can lock onto a human target three kilometers away.

The weapon is seen, primarily as an enhancement to the country's security capability, but is also being sold abroad. Laurie Lew takes a look.

This is the super gun, the Super aEgis 2.

The automated turret system can support a variety of weapons from a standard machine-gun to a surface-to-air missile. Its video capability can identify and lock onto a human-sized target from a distance of 2.2 kilometers at night and three kilometers during daylight.

Its creator, South Korean electronics and weapons manufacturer DoDaam Systems, calls its combat robot a "Total Security Solution".

Park Sung-Ho, Vice President, Dodaam Systems, said, "Intelligent detecting and tracking algorithms are applied to the gun. It is a software detecting and tracking object with artificial intelligence function we've developed."

Super aEgis 2 detects objects with its low-light camera, and a thermal imaging camera detects intruders.

The super gun is remotely controlled and can be installed on any type of vehicle or platform. It's expected to perform as part of South Korea's military arsenal for about 650-thousand troops.

There has been no confirmation if the weapon is deployed along the border with the DPRK, where the sixty-year old Armistice Agreement specifies limits for weapons deployment.

More info here:
www.gizmag.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by fixedworld

The image I conjured up in my head when reading this was of the French defensive cannon in Red Alert 2. It was their nationalities special weapon.

The real thing looks much more terrifying!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

I'll take 4.. Wasn't there one of those on the movie Law Abiding Citizen? those are SWEET!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'd rather people build these than bury land mines. Once you don't feel like guarding an area, you can just move the turret, but land mines are much harder to get rid of. People keep getting blown up to this day by decades-old mines.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What a collosal waste of technology.
Awesome advanced technology on such a primitive weapon.

I'm mean, isn't this 2011?
And we're still making things go boom, pushing a projectile out of the end of a barrel?

Where are the lightning bolts?
Where are the laser guns?

Show me a space based weapon that can strike down an enemy combatant with a lightning bolt from outerspace and I'll be seriously impressed.

I thought these automatic turrets already existed.
Too much playing Call of Duty on my part I suppose.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Big Raging Loner

The image I conjured up in my head when reading this was of the French defensive cannon in Red Alert 2. It was their nationalities special weapon.

The real thing looks much more terrifying!

Hahaha, i couldn help thinking about modern warfare 2's sentry gun

World war 3 is going to be insane!
edit on 15-2-2011 by fixedworld because: mispelled

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
What a collosal waste of technology.
Awesome advanced technology on such a primitive weapon.

This is a South Korean-produced autoturret. These things are pretty freaking deadly as is, especially if you can equip them with variable weapon systems (anti-personnel/AA/SAM/ATGM/etc). It can lock onto a human target 2.2km away? If it has the range, then this weapon can take out targets at a range that rivals the longest ever recorded sniper kills.

BUT

This is not a supergun. Personally, I really hate when stupid news agencies mislabel equipment like this with such tacky and misleading descriptions.

A supergun is basically a giant cannon that can shell a target many, many kms away. Specifically, they were designed to shell cities from railroads or across ocean channels, like in WWII (or like the superguns that China has aimed at Taiwan). Gerald Bull was also notable for modern supergun technology by starting project HARP and trying to develop the Iraqi superguns Big Babylon/Baby Babylon before Mossad put a bullet in his head. Though with the development of advanced guided bombs, superguns are for the most part, obsolete...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
It immedietly reminded of Sentry Machine Guns from a tower defense game.. put them on a border or a bottleneck with a shoot at anything that moves program and those are gold! That's a warning to North Korea they won't be invaded

join