Listen Americans

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I watched Bowling for Colombine in my house in Shropshire, England. I was not suprised that the death toll in the 'wonderful' USA from gun crime is stupidly high. You blame it on the constitution for giving you the right to bear arms. But it isn't saying 'You must have a gun if you are a real american' does it? I'm not saying this for my own benefit, because to be honest, I could give a monkey's if you shoot each other or not. I'm simply saying that Americans should show the world that they actually have an ounce of intelligence in them and realise that having more guns evidently leads up to more people getting shot. Get it?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Owning weapons in America is a RIGHT, not an option.
but then you Brits never understood that and got kicked
out.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Last time I checked, crime was very high in Britain due to a lack of guns.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

www.bowlingfortruth.com...

"According to Mr. Moore's numbers, the homicide rate in the U.S. is 30 times greater than that of Germany, and 285 times greater than that of Japan. However, based on Interpol statistics for 2000, these numbers are actually 1.64 and 5.03, respectively a difference which is not due to technical or statistical error, but likely to a creative and narrow choice of source data on Mr. Moore's part. Most likely Mr. Moore's numbers are not actually fabricated, but rather chosen from a year in which the homicide rate in the U.S. relative to other countries was unusually high and not representative of the average over time. As the Interpol data for 2000 shows, a broader perspective might yield more sober results."

That site explains the statistcs of gun deaths. How we're higher since we have a larger population there fore more gun deaths.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Lumping them (Americans) together like that really isn't fair. While I may or may not agree about guns, I don't think a blanket statement like that is really a constructive argument.

I'm sure the fear of guns stops many crimes as well.

People get knifed and kicked to death in the UK. I think I'd rather be shot in the head.

Have you been to or lived in the US?

$0.02

[edit on 15-7-2004 by Zzub]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JediMaster

Im sorry but i just wanted to laugh about this quote, lol

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DEEVAH

Im sorry but i just wanted to laugh about this quote, lol

This statement is based in fact

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by simon222
I watched Bowling for Colombine in my house in Shropshire, England. I was not suprised that the death toll in the 'wonderful' USA from gun crime is stupidly high. You blame it on the constitution for giving you the right to bear arms. But it isn't saying 'You must have a gun if you are a real american' does it? I'm not saying this for my own benefit, because to be honest, I could give a monkey's if you shoot each other or not. I'm simply saying that Americans should show the world that they actually have an ounce of intelligence in them and realise that having more guns evidently leads up to more people getting shot. Get it?

If you watched the movie, you should have also taken note that Canada has plenty of guns, yet barely any gun related killings. It's not the guns, it's the people.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You lefties do know that Moore is member of the NRA?

So whats so funny about it? Ask anyone in Britain about crime, mainly London.

Or is that the "Guns don't kill people' part? Hey guess what a gun lying on the table is not gonna kill you. It takes a human to pull the trigger. People get killed by baseball bats,kitchen knives,cars but you don't see anyone complain about that.

My grandfater, and great uncle both own several rifles but they never kiled anyone. Same with my neighbor. They all have over 2 differnt guns and they never killed another man. Its the person who decides to kill someone not the gun.

[edit on 7-15-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 02:59 PM
link   

You lefties do know that Moore is member of the NRA?

So whats so funny about it? Ask anyone in Britain about crime, mainly London.

Or is that the "Guns don't kill people' part? Hey guess what a gun lying on the table is not gonna kill you. It takes a human to pull the trigger. People get killed by baseball bats,kitchen knives,cars but you don't see anyone complain about that.

My grandfater, and great uncle both own several rifles but they never kiled anyone. Same with my neighbor. They all have over 2 differnt guns and they never killed another man. Its the person who decides to kill someone not the gun.

[edit on 7-15-2004 by JediMaster]

I guess the originator of this post could argue that "dumb americans with guns" Kill americans.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Moving this to the mud pit, where it's more appropriate.

Y'all play nice, y'hear?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Um, Simon, my guess is you are about 14 or so.

The fact that you have garnered your information from a questionable documentary shows you are very guillable.

My advice to you would be to stop watching so much TV andf stop believing everything Michael Moore tells you.

Get the facts straight. Guns account for a tiny percentage of homicides in the US. More people are strangled with rope, stabbed with knives, or beaten to death. Guns are low on the list of murder weapons.

Id suggest you actually do a little research before you come off so half cocked and sounding stupid, because thats exactly what this sounds like.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
simon222 I mean really. If you are going to ban guns then ban knifes, baseball bats, ropes, cars, trucks. They all kill. There is nothing wrong with guns. Shooting can be fun if you do it on a target range. There is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with guns in themselves. Shooting at targets is an olympic sport. You see. As others have said it is people you shoot the guns. Also you think your safe? Look at what you have gave up. The UK has more camaras per spare mile than anywhere in America. Same with Japan. Now they want to track kids with radio tags.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Get the facts straight. Guns account for a tiny percentage of homicides in the US. More people are strangled with rope, stabbed with knives, or beaten to death. Guns are low on the list of murder weapons.

Id suggest you actually do a little research before you come off so half cocked and sounding stupid, because thats exactly what this sounds like.

You are the one who needs to get your facts straight. There are more homicides with guns than all other weapons combined. From the Department of Justice website

Homicide trends in the U.S.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
What an absolute waste of time and thought.

Are you naive enough to think that even if guns were all transported off the planet there would still be no murders? Perhaps having a gun facilitates a murder due to its effectiveness, but I would hardly blame gun manufacturers for murders. A car is a weapon. Many people die in hit and runs, be they preplanned or otherwise. Ban all cars?

Well, as for gun control advocates, I support one aspect of their idea. I don't think any citizen needs an assault weapon. I don't see how the excuses for guns hold true on assault weapons. I don't think self defense is made more effective by having a gun that shoots up 1,000 rounds in the blink of an eye unless your home is being attacked by a battalion or something. Hunting? Unless you like your meat in little pieces I fail to see how an automatic machine gun is useful. And as for the right to bear arms, well I don't think the constitution was written having in mind weapons that could drop 50 people in 10 seconds.

Why does America have a high crime rate? Hell, I don't know. We're in need of some policy reform that's for sure, but I don't think its fair to blame it on the gun industry. It takes a human being, albeit a sick one, to pull the trigger on someone and take their life. That would be where the problem is. A murderer will murder, be it with a gun, a knife, a bat, a noose, an icepick, whatever.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skadi_the_Evil_Elf

Who the hell are you scolding? Take your own advice. Try the US Department of Justice FBI Statistics.

About half a million American victims of violent crimes get a gun stuck in their face per year...

According to the National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) in 2002, 442,880 victims of violent crimes stated that they faced an offender with a firearm.

Of those murdered, TWO-THIRDS with firearms...

The FBI's Crime in the United States estimated that 67% of the 16,204 murders in 2002 were committed with firearms.

Here's the summary finding headline on USDOJ.gov

Homicides are most often Committed with Guns, especially Handguns

Root around in government statistics banks and get the facts. Not anti-Mike Moore websites, or your NRA meeting. :lol

But if you insist on quoting BS to prove Mike Moore is full of BS. Then I'd suggest (as in the BowlingforTruth.com example) once your see something like...

Most likely Mr. Moore's numbers are not actually fabricated, but...
You should realize that everything after the "but" is BS too and even THEY just admitted Mike Moore is right.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Today murder by guns and murder by knife is not far apart.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Let me ask you a question Rant. Do you think its ok for people to own guns in the US?

[Edited on 7/15/04 by jetsetter]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter

Oh really? In 2000, the last year for which statistics are available, there were 10,159 homicides by gun and 2,090 homicides by knife.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:27 PM
link   
WOW...........a Brit trying to tell us how we should do things..........didn't we settle this over 200 years ago?

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetsetter

Unless you do "special" math you're wrong, considering I just showed you two-thirds of murders are by gun.

AND I DO THINK PEOPLE SHOULD GET TO OWN GUNS

But why does every, single common sense measure that comes along have to be so emotionally opposed and lied about?

Oh, background checks are unconstitutional. I need a bazooka to defend my house from anthrax letters. The Red Coats are coming. And the Libertarians have just lost they damn minds from what I can tell. Come on.

I don't care if everyone out in the country (like me now) has 15 rifles in their house and a handgun under their car seat. I know that last part is illegal, but I also know people do it. In the country, who cares? I've had a shot gun to my head. It happens around

But here's my problem, the people that never lived in a city JUST DON'T GET IT. I lived in Atlanta with a bedroom window looking straight at a hip hop after hours night club. And I wasn't worried about a damn knife coming through my third story window at 4am. I saw 2 murders (gun) including the owner of the club, and heard I don't know about 150- 200 random shots fired in the air over the three years I lived there. It was at least once or twice a weekend if not several in a row (since when urban dwellers hear a gun they fire back). :shk:

I'll add this. I wish we could handle handguns. I don't won't them outlawed if we can do something. But it's getting out of hand. I suggest more understanding and compromise on the part of the NRA so people like me won't keep getting pushed further and further left by their BS.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join