It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have an idea for an invention, but need M.E. and E.E. assistance/input.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
well, focusing on the human aspect and attempting to put other possibilities out of mind for now, have you considered bioelectricity? I don't mean biofuels by the way, we need that food for..well food -_-

the average output of a human being is generally around the 200millivolt range. it is also well known that this can be increased by rubbing a balloon on your hair, or another diaelectric material (please correct me it thats wrong..) which displaces electrons and enables enough voltage to light a neon bulb briefly.

now, again the main issue is sustaining a current so, how many human beings in series would it take to light a lightbulb WITHOUT bashing them with a balloon or a cat...or...lol never thought i'd say that...

edit: I guess the real problem in all cases is how to increase the voltage or generally the wattage from a small input.
edit on 15-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SquirrelNutz

Understand that all the energy you're going to generate comes from the food you eat. Something like 20% of your food energy is actually available for you to make your body move. This method of generating energy for use will simply never work in a meaningful scale. This is very basic physics.

edit on 15-2-2011 by rhinoceros because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArieZ
ok check it out you have the right idea but a low tech version..I have been doing a lot of research on this for off the grid living...ok so first thing is people have been making these alternator generators for a long time in fact you can youtube different homemade designs..really alls you need is two neodymium super magnets and a older car alternator and a bicycle or a stiller engine hooked to a gearbox and a heat source (example) Fire or Fresnel Lens to drive the gearbox and spin the alternator..or you could circumvent all this and basically do a neodymium alternator/generator waterwheel on a river or fast moving creek but dont let the Government catch you it's a huge fine!!!!!! they'll tell you salmon spawning ground or environmental damage or mineral rights but it's really them putting a stop to the ability to be self sufficient because then your no longer a slave to thier machine..and all these designs are already developed at patented but have a specific order in thier chronological release in order to keep society working and needing big buisness.. also look up Heely and Tesla inventions and the amount of free energy devices we've had for over a hundred years will make you cry!!!

Oh and if you go the Super Magnet route BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!! There is a reason they used to not sell them to the public..They will draw any metal object in thier field to them at incredible speeds potentially obliterating your hand. Also when you assemble them in the alternator they generate a lot of amps so if you ground the wires by accident through yourself you can stop your heart or get locked on to the power source,

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
one should not screw with electricity without prior knowledge of the dangers. as such, I totally recommend google video'ing 'exploding transformer' for safety sake.

ed: also you should probably get a qualified electrical engineer to help you if you build something to make sure you do not breach radio emission standards, you can get into alot of trouble that way if you end up jamming some frequency accidentally or no.
edit on 15-2-2011 by madscientistintraining because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by madscientistintraining
one should not screw with electricity without prior knowledge of the dangers. as such, I totally recommend google video'ing 'exploding transformer' for safety sake.

Absolutely Right!!!! 1 way around possible exploding transformers is open air cooling coils (Tesla's Invention) Instead of oil/coil based transformers..according to him they're safer and can handle levels of input

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Take one of those big turbines we discussed above - shrink it down to about 1/10 the size. Now - of course it is generating less power (but, keep in mind, we're only talking about creating a 'unit' for individual use), but you've gotten it down to a size where a human (or humans) could physically manipulate the turbine themselves, either by repeatedly jumping up and hanging on a blade to keep it going (like starting an old prop plane) OR replacing the axle that the blades are attached to with an alternate [human created] generator.

I have your solution for about $25

As an Amish extremist, I enjoy using electricity, and thus have installed such a device on my bicycle.

When I pedal, the little generator mounted next to my wheel spins, powering my headlight. During the day, I reroute the wires to power my rechargable batteries, which I can use at leisure.

If you needed to stay indoors, you could put your bicycle's rear alxe on a pair of floor jacks, and in top gear, you could power dozens of LED lights while you casually listen to the Devil's Radio in your fallout shelter.

Check your local country store for a bicycle headlight kit. You're right SquirrelNutz......think small.

By the way, those rechargable batteries will be worth their weight in ammo should TSHTF
edit on 15-2-2011 by masterofnone because: add qoute

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
again, thats a dynamo, the first and most simple generator invented by human beings on planet earth. you would have to sit there all day cranking the thing unless you had some sort of charge storage system, and even then it wouldn't nessicarrily last that long unless you overly cranked the thing to the max, giving more than enough charge for the time being, at least for a while.

since this thread touches on the solar storm, and assuming this means all prior technology is either fried or relatively unusable, this does leave you with at most conductors, magnets, capacitors, and possibly transistors and diodes and such. chips and timers will assumedly be 'melted' and useless, overcharged by static from the flares. this limits your options a heck of a lot, not to mention any equipment like a lathe or pillar drills would also most likely be useless, making construction all that much harder.

why not then, find a way to harness the inhuman voltages coming from the flares while everything else overkills itself like the aformentioned flares that had relatively little effect in the 1800's due to a lack of the size of the grid we have today? provided the equipment in that case doesn't fry you could store enough charge for a year.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hmmmm, how about developing something that could actually use the effects of a solar storm.

What are the wavelengths of emmisions from a solar storm?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Listen, you want something really usefull that you could make at home for electricty, try this:

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by madscientistintraining
again, thats a dynamo, the first and most simple generator invented by human beings on planet earth. you would have to sit there all day cranking the thing unless you had some sort of charge storage system, and even then it wouldn't nessicarrily last that long unless you overly cranked the thing to the max, giving more than enough charge for the time being, at least for a while.

since this thread touches on the solar storm, and assuming this means all prior technology is either fried or relatively unusable, this does leave you with at most conductors, magnets, capacitors, and possibly transistors and diodes and such. chips and timers will assumedly be 'melted' and useless, overcharged by static from the flares. this limits your options a heck of a lot, not to mention any equipment like a lathe or pillar drills would also most likely be useless, making construction all that much harder.

why not then, find a way to harness the inhuman voltages coming from the flares while everything else overkills itself like the aformentioned flares that had relatively little effect in the 1800's due to a lack of the size of the grid we have today? provided the equipment in that case doesn't fry you could store enough charge for a year.

I know that it would need a reservoir for storage and the best I've came up with on a cheap scale is Deep Cycle boat batterys daisy chained together using thickest gauge wire I can find.. also of course any Photo Voltaic cells you can find helps a great deal in charging..but the most important thing is to be able to charge when your not there that why I recommend either the water wheel method I described earlier or a fresnel lens directed at a .....
Don't wanna give away my idea before i see a patent for it or I patent it

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

Listen, you want something really usefull that you could make at home for electricty, try this:

en.wikipedia.org...

I've seen these on T.V. my only problem with them is people will just start foresting killing more of the wildlife an already failing ecosystem..but they work in a emergency..but if you'd spend a few weeks hunting down materials and doing research on electrical theorys from the late 1800's to early 1900's there is easy do it yourself small scale closed system electrical generators that can charge car battery's and such while your not even there eliminating noise pollution etc etc....and no I'm not sayin there's perpetual motion schematics for energy generation I'm sayin theres Magnetic bearings and motion generators that only need to be set back in motion once and a great while
edit on 15-2-2011 by ArieZ because: misspelling

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   

It's already been done. Drop me a private message I'm feeling slightly generous so I will give you some info so you can get to work instead of busting your head. Give me a bit to gather all the designs and docs, and details I have to pull it from my other computer which never goes online. Some of the work is mine but you can use it as long as it is NOT for profit! ONLY for helping others freely NEVER charge for it!!!

XL5

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Volts are like RPM and amps are like torque, both are needed to make any output wattage. Take away amps from volts and you have nothing, take torque away from RPM and you have nothing. That said, you can not kick start a generator/dynamo and have it continue to spin while its powering anything (ignoring friction/losses). At 100-150W pedal power is good for VERY low power things like MP3 players, clocks and anything under about 30W's, it gives you some time to enjoy what you have worked for. Heating should still be done by fire after the power goes out.

In a huge solar storm magnets, capacitors, resistors, wire and coils of wire will NOT be damaged, only semiconductors like transistors and diodes and even then IMO I'd have to say they would have to be powered while the storm hit to be damaged. The biggest threat a solar storm poses is to the LONG transmission lines and the things connected to them. The transmission lines act like antennas and the solar storm induces a small voltage over a small 100meter length of it, but over many km's/miles, the induced voltage/current will be very large and it will blow fuses and transformers at the substation.

Your car will probably still work since its shielded by a metal faraday cage with a common ground.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by thegreatwolf

I'm assuming this has something to do with the Tesla Free Energy devices that have been getting so much attention, lately...?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
have prisoners and the able bodied jobles peddle in big factories - free energy

posted on Feb, 28 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
its easier than it looks.solar power with a lithium energy storage battery!you can have long lasting free energy by simply buying a solar panel and hooking it up to a lithium ion battery.that way you can have power at night when the sun is gone by using the ion battery and use a duel solar panel system to use power during the day. this can be a reliable source of free electrical power if you get the right hardware.remember to get the best in performance use a separate solar panel unit to charge the "night battery" by day and use the other solar panel unit to power your home at the same time.so basically dont use a battery while it is in solar charge.this drains the life of a battery.so keep the solar battery charger separate from your daytime solar power needs.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Workable concept. The only limitation is its not endless as any1 manually cranking is gonna get tired at some
point and the power generated by this method will not be significant to be of much use

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

There's plenty of things about - like cranked clockwork flashlights and radios - that are fine for small amounts of energy, but if you want to start heating or moving things, and the energy consumption goes up a lot.

posted on Mar, 31 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I've a way to improve your little device.

From a simple standpoint - you're using a magnetic dynamo effect and using that with some rectifiers and DC-DC conversion and conditioning before storing it and using it for power.

The real problem is that such a cataclysmic event could potentially destroy semiconductor junctions and even break down the insulators on inductive components (motors, generators, transformers, etc). So you may not be able to just go down to the basement and pull this out as part of your survival kit.

Anyway - on to improving it.

The important thing to remember is that you are not a key component. All you want to do is spin the dynamo. If images of the classic windmill and water-wheel haven't popped into your head, you need to be given a good thunk. Even the "windmill pump" that used to pump water on farms would be better than sitting there and turning the crank yourself. Hell - even making a little "horsey-go-round" is a better use of time and materials.

He-manning your way through the post-apocalypse will simply not be enough. You've got to apply the old noggin. Trust me - a water-wheel for grinding wheat into flour is far more important to the survival of your community than taking turns on the hamster-wheel to charge up some batteries.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join