It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defector admits to WMD lies that triggered Iraq war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Defector admits to WMD lies that triggered Iraq war

www.guardian.co.uk

The defector who convinced the White House that Iraq had a secret biological weapons programme has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story, then watched in shock as it was used to justify the war.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, has told the Guardian that he fabricated tales of mobile bioweapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Any of us with a brain realised the lies that were spread to justify the invasion of Iraq, but it's nice to see at least a portion of the truth come out in the mainstream media.

I find the fact that this man is proud of his lies and how they were used nothing short of disgusting. Sure the regime was bad, there are bad regimes all over the world, but to be proud that your lies have helped result in the death of so many innocents, of your own countrymen and women, seems unconceivable to me.

So was he correct in saying that this death and bloodshed, that an invasion based on lies and fabrications, was the only solution?

I can bet that those on both sides who have lost friends, family and witnessed the deformed children born in such a way due to depleted uranium shells, which will continue to haunt the country for no one knows how long, may beg to differ that this was the only solution.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

Old hat, we knew before we ever got there that any wmd's were already used on the iranians and kurds, and several in the US said oops sorry i guess we already knew ....
The bigger question is who will pay for the atrocity??
My guess is noone who deserves the punishment.
Truly sad.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
i think its common knowledge now that they lied. i watched a documentry the other day on bbc or itv called "the war you dont see". there were interviews with the weopans inspecters that went into iraq and they said that saddam didnt have weopans and had no intention to get them. saddam disbanded all missles and nuke programmes in the first conflict and never reopened them. it was all a big scam. how they got away with it i dont now and why were still there i dont know either. we invaded that country for no reason other than to get oil.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Also ruined country , suicide bombings , shortage of water and food ..and that all based on lies

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by originunknown

I'm sure oil was a consideration but, you forget about the others, old world persian artifacts, natural minerals and in Afghanistan, those delicious poppies!
Gotta have my heroine.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think the fact that Saddam had supposedly put out a bounty on Bush and Cheney's family had a lot to do with what happened.
You mess with the bull, you get the horns.
Saddam and his sociopath sons got what they deserved in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Sparky63

And the dead innocent men, women and children? Did they get what the deserved?

No one disputed Saddam and his regime was bad. But your comment seems to portray that you feel invading a whole country and causing so many civilian deaths on lies was justified.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
The reason we thought he had nukes and such was because he acted like he did to keep the people and countries around him in check. He knew that if word got out that he had no nukes or didn't have a plethera of chemical weapons that his power and throne would be overtaken. That is why he refused to have NATO come in and inspect, he also had building that looked like factories to build them as a front. So the US put 2 and 2 together and gave him the ultimatium to surrender his power or we are going to get him, especially with our knowledge that he HATES the US. It would have been only a matter of time before he started organizing and planning terror attacks against the US and our allies.

Originally posted by Nammu
reply to post by Sparky63

And the dead innocent men, women and children? Did they get what the deserved?

No one disputed Saddam and his regime was bad. But your comment seems to portray that you feel invading a whole country and causing so many civilian deaths on lies was justified.

It's WAR and in WAR innocent people get killed...

FACT- OIF and OEF have had the FEWEST civilian deaths of ANY major war in our history.

Also the insurgents/terrorists HIDE amongst the civilian population so that way when they die we kill some civilians with them. Also the terrorists will send out personell to ambush us and when we kill them they come and remove all weapons before we arrive on scene so it looks like we killed a bunch of innocent people. They also pay innocent civilians money or kidnap their families and make innocent people attack us. Make no mistakes about it, the terrorist/insurgents use propaganda to turn the people of the US and the world against the US government. And guess where they learned all of this from? From the US military when we trained the mujadeen and the taliban in Afghanistan to fight against the Russians. They also read up on what the VC (VietCong) did in Vietnam.
edit on 15-2-2011 by Reign02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I am not justifying it, I am just pointing the harsh reality of what happens when you provoke a superpower and threaten it's leaders families. Innocents will always be killed in any war fought. That is another harsh reality. I guarantee that the Kurds in the south of Iraq are more than happy that Saddam was hung by the neck. It isn't like Saddam was just going to go away all on his own. One of the prerogatives of being a superpower is to preemptively cut the head off a snake before it bites you. Saddam threatened the US and his bluff was called. That should be a lesson to other would be dictators, but unfortunately it is one that will no doubt be ignored. History is doomed to repeat itself.

A hundred years from now Saddam and all those innocents who died will be forgotten, It will all just be ancient history.
Heck, most of my friends don't even know who Arch Duke Ferdinand was or what his role in history is.
edit on 2/15/2011 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I wonder if their is a chance the defector did this, went forward with this info, is lieing about lieing.

Wikileaks released a documet that show WMD program was present.

new topics

top topics

join