It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If All Wars/Battles Were Still Melee Based...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
i would use a weapon like a heavy hammer on a long steel pole, this way i have some distance on my enenmy annd could really pound the # out of them xD

posted on May, 7 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I would opt for exoskeletons. Plus if the entire military budget was being used for this you could end up with some kind of crazy Gundam like thing. I'm sure the Japanese are already working on one though

posted on May, 13 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Lonsdaleite is quite impressive but there are certain alloys out there which can show up as being stronger. Basically by using a blade made out of these ultra rare alloys you have the ability to defeat any kind of armour using only a very light sword.
Even if you had armour of the same material the weapon would still technically defeat it. You know this is true as diamonds are used to cut diamonds. The same material can be used to cut a material of equal hardness.
So light armour to deal with all the unadvanced weapons would be needed, you'd be able to take out an exoskeleton or giant robot in one swipe and would basically have to go 50/50 on someone with the same equipment. Considering all skill was equal. Basically movement and speed would become the deciding factor, aswell as stealth.

This would allow you to terrorise the opponents sufficiently methinks

Advanced alloy sword, light, flexible camo armour, thermal/night vision for seeing cloaked opponents and peering through walls. Stealth it as far as possible, but chop through something as weak as titanium or hardened ceramic in one strike when necessary.

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
lol then you would have a scenerio like *TOO HumAN* the 360* game.

hers link to homepage of game.
maby not all melee based but alot off melee concept.

if this were true. im sure that maby there some alternate univeres were this happend.
then super wepons. would be in the form of mobile tacticle instalations.
wepons would resolve around a wide veriaty of augmentaions, smithers would probably use lighting and plasma in there wepons and armour. the *nuke* would probably be a wepon with a devestating kineticshockforce able to crumble entire buildings. but still hand held.

I for 1 vote for this scenerio
S&F

posted on May, 17 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It would mean there would be Iron-Man suits that shot arrows and darts. And a secret compartment for the lightsaber. LOL

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

Having seen an episode of Pawn Stars, I realised that at the time the US Joined WW1 they manufactured some brutal melee weapons in the form of a triangular blade with basically a knuckle-duster with knub end, to club, punch then stab(the triangular blade to pierce the German Trenchcoat).
Another by Aulion, the same "duster" designed grip, but a fearsome sharp blade (stiletto type).

As for Light Sabre's, the Large Hadron Collider at C.E.R.N. is making headway on Anti-matter which "annihilates" on contact with matter, so, a containment field around AM to destruct on contact with matter (body parts) would cause a mini big bang destroying all matter and anti-matter in contact.

So the fantasy about melee weapons may be short lived, but having been a serving soldier, the further from "Fix Bayonets" the engagment the better in many cases. (FIBUA/FISH excluded).
My advice is stick to hypotheses and dont join up, as, if you relish "melee" its safer done on the X-box than coming away with "Survivor guilt" and seeing your friends&"family" sometimes fatally wounded.
War isnt a HALO game, it's for keeps.

I know it was a hypothetical question, but with a Physics interest I thought I might indulge/humour you with an answer you can research.

Hope it helped somewhat.

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I will tell you what you will get a lot of soldiers acting like real soldiers. Some modern armies Today (USA in particular) rely totally on as killing as many enemy as possible from the longest distance possible and when these tactics fail they end up looking a bit silly. They seem totally unprepared for actual hand to hand Combat. Now many USA soldiers have been killed in Iraq Afghanistan ect and death in any form is extremely unpleasant but the idea counselling to make them feel better is totally absurd they have to remember that the Army is no place for shirkers or job seekers and YOU are expected to KILL and maybe BE killed.
So I think you raise a interesting point and as I see it you would get more SOLDERS if there was more hand to hand combat similar to Braveheart Lol

posted on May, 18 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I know that there were bows & arrows along with other projectiles in Braveheart, but I'm saying what if all wars were SOLELY melee based. Meaning, there were absolutely NO projectiles of any kind

not even a human projectile holding a melee weapon which explodes on impact?

posted on May, 20 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by hueyfreeman77
It would mean there would be Iron-Man suits that shot arrows and darts. And a secret compartment for the lightsaber. LOL

sounds cool.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vanchatron
I was watched Braveheart on the TV the other day, and it made me think... What if all wars were STILL melee based? I know that there were bows & arrows along with other projectiles in Braveheart, but I'm saying what if all wars were SOLELY melee based. Meaning, there were absolutely NO projectiles of any kind, no bows, no arrows, no guns, no bombs, no nuclear weapons, no planes, NOTHING.

But here's where it gets interesting... Let's say the rules of war were that people could ONLY use melee weapons in war/battle, BUT you could use ANY technology in order to increase your melee abilities. You could spend all the money (which you'd usually be using on planes, nukes etc) on increasing your armour & melee weapons. So I guess the military could even design some kind of lightsaber if they wanted to, or perhaps a weapon that causes the enemy to disintegrate when it strikes them. I don't really know, but I'm sure if they had all the military funding they have now and put it ALL into just improving melee weapons & armour, they'd make some pretty decent stuff.

So basically... No projectiles of any kind, no radar, no chemical weapons. JUST extremely improved armour & melee weapons of some kind, so it'd be like Braveheart or other medieval type wars.

What type of weapons & armour dya think would be created? This is assuming EVERYBODY follows the rules of war as stated above.

I think we would already be passed wars... People would of gotten sick of the losses by now. That money would then go into alternative energy/antigravity/science/robotics/anything else that could be potentially beneficial to a scociety's standard of living.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11

I know that there were bows & arrows along with other projectiles in Braveheart, but I'm saying what if all wars were SOLELY melee based. Meaning, there were absolutely NO projectiles of any kind

not even a human projectile holding a melee weapon which explodes on impact?

New I-Phone game? Angry Humans?

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join