It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Media intentionally turning the idea of a Conspiracy Theorist into a synonym with "Right Win

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Of course I have always taken offense to being called a "nut" simply because I may believe that the official story behind 9/11 is fishy, or that not every strange object in the sky is simply a weather balloon and/or swamp gas. But there seems to be a trend lately that offends me even more so that simply being called a nut. Its the media's insistence that the only people who believe in Conspiracies are Right Wingers. I'm a Left Wing Conspiracy "nut" and proud of it!
It really doesn't seem like too long ago when Left Wingers where at the very least, on equal footing with Right Wingers when it came to conspiracy beliefs. In fact there seemed to be quite a large counter-culture, or leftist conspiracy writers, and books everywhere. Quite a few conspiracies actually attracted both Right and Left wingers, and there was actually quite a bit of overlap on what the two groups believed on some of these Conspiracies. Am I alone in noticing this radical shift in the world's understanding of what a Conspiracy Believer is? What is the agenda here? .......and yes I could make little jokes and say things like "well the PTB don't want Lefties involved in Conspiracies, 'cause they know that they are actually smart enough to get to the bottom of em! Ha, Ha"......but seriously folks. let's try to remain united in this thread, when it comes to discussing this, ok?
I have a feeling that like anything else, the PTB would rather us fighting amongst ourselves, rather than trying to find any answers, or discussing things rationally.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
PS it looks like it cut off my title to this thread....it should say "Right Wing Conspiracy Nut" at the end.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
actually, the 9/11 truther movement is considered a super far left wing fringe conspiracy.
the UFO thing is bipartisan

Politically though, tons of conspiracy theories seems to be the monopoly of the fringe right. It stands to reason...the right hates government...therefore anything the government touches must be a conspiracy of some sort...be it the FDA, Obama/birth certificate, etc etc etc.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
To still sound new to the conspiracy scene to be associated to either the left or right wing, they have both sold out to the oligarchy. Once you reach a libertarian conspiracy nut you are starting to get it all.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I would like to think that conspiracy theorists are beyond partisan bickering and realize that the left right paradigm is a fraud and divide & conquer technique. You didn't learn that in Conspiracy 101? Might wanna read up on that.

www.crossroad.to...

Sadly the amount of bipartisan bickering seems to have increased with the ever increasing members of this site.

Obama.. yeah how's that for CHANGE? Useful idiots..
Next americans will probably vote for Palin just to piss me off, that is, if Obama isn't the last president..

A tip, you might wanna use paragraphs in the future.

I weep for the state of this site..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I reread my post and found it quite mean-spirited.. I'm sorry if it was harsh, I tried to edit it but I couldn't any longer.

Guess I just wanted to say that I felt guilt reading it again and that I'm sorry if I offended anyone.

God I'm such a pussy!?
What happened to me..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm conservative.
And a conspiracy "nut".

Why do the two have to be inclusive though? That's like saying a "vegan-libertarian", or a "piano-playing liberal".

The media feeds to the lowest common denominator. So whatever is easiest for them, they do.

Anyhow, my liberal friend, S+F for bringing this to my attention.

edit on 15-2-2011 by beezzer because: Obama "made" me mistype hahahahahahahahahaha

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It's a little worst than that.

About 4/5 people I talk to consider any form of "conspiracy" to be the following; a lie, an urban myth, a rumor, or some nutty delusion. When the fact is, a conspiracy is "a person or group of people coming together to plan something that will cause harm to others and benefit themselves".

Over the years, the "conspiracy nuts" shifted radically in public opinion. When Bush was in office, it was left wing nuts thinking we were lied to about 9/11 and the purpose for the wars we caused in the middle east. When Clinton was in office, it was right wing nuts fearing the size of government and government attacks on the private citizen. I'm sure it really depends on who is in power really to continue to left/right paradigm.

Fact is, the whole concept of conspiracies have been manipulated by the media for decades now. No matter how many in history are common knowledge and no matter how many recently have been proven to in fact have occurred, people still deny and will continue to deny that ANY form of conspiracy ever actually happens.

It doesn't help when you have folks like David Icke, Alex Jones, and others using conspiracies as a way to be known and make money (and who knows, perhaps they're disinfo agents meant to disrupt and manipulate the conspiracy theorist crowd).

The worst is when in this very site I see people calling themselves "conspiracy factualists" or some other convoluted title, when they're buying into the very manipulation of conspiracy knowledge that they're trying to deny.

If a conspiracy is happening or has happened, it's not a conspiracy fact. It's a conspiracy. If you think a conspiracy is happening, it's a theory. It's simple. Apparently not simple enough for some folks. But I mean, these people can't open a dictionary so this shouldn't be a surprise.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLaughingGod

Ha! Nicely said! I personally value A-holes, so you are on good terms with me. Even if you are pointing out something like my apparent lack of paragraphs!
Keep it up, as far as I am concerned! LOL!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SpectreDC

Yeah, so far most of the posts seem to be saying similar things. Yours seemed to

encapsulate most of the Ideas expressed, including some other valid ones, so I figured I respond to yours, hopefully not offending anyone else who wrote the same basic Ideas in the process. I agree with what most have been saying. I wanted to comment on your Idea that whether people see conspiracy 'nuts' as being Right Wing or Left Wing is somewhat dependent on what side is currently in power. I agree with this, still to me it seems (and I admit that I may be wrong about this) that the whole notion of the Right Wing conspiracy 'nut' is being hammered home much more strongly than it ever has been in the past, or for that matter more strongly than I have ever seen any association of Left Wingers as being conspiracy 'nuts'. Now perhaps I am missing the point in actually feeling slighted that they are not including us Left Wingers in their belittling of Conspiracy buffs, but I think the end result of this attitude has a pretty broad effect.

One effect, of course, is to lump 'Right Wingers' with Conspiracy belief....suggesting

that the two are one in the same, and somewhat delusional. Not only does this belittle the Right WIng (something which is not too shocking, since both sides belittle each other as much as possible), but it also works to cause Left Wingers to avoid such Conspiracy Theories, because association with them is now considered a Right Wing activity. Now take a moment to consider just how many Right Wingers VS Left Wingers there are in the U.S. If we are to believe the polls then the country is divided right down the middle. If we were suddenly to lose all Left Wing support then it would be like cutting the numbers of us researching conspiracies in half. This could drastically devalue the tiny bit of credibility that many of us have fought for, in our various theories. (For instance, some Conspiracy Theories, such as the JFK assasination has actually gotten to the point where most American's find it credible, even if they cannot agree on the details)

Basically not to ramble on (which I seem to be doing) I can simply suggest that the

Media's attempt to categorize all Conspiracy Buffs as Right Wingers could be extremely damaging to the cause of Conspiracy Research in general, whether you are a Right Winger, or a Left Winger.....or some Hybrid of the two.

PS to TheLaughingGod......Check it out, yo...I used Paragraphs this time!!!!!

edit on 15-2-2011 by bhornbuckle75 because: For some reason I can't get an indention in my paragraphs....maybe this fixed it

top topics

join