It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Karma" is the SOURCE of evil.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Imagine, firstly that there is such a thing as "karma" - that is, a kind of punishment/reward system, that our negative actions create negativity and that our positive actions create positivity. What if our negative actions created positivity and our positive actions created negativity. Thus, a hateful person would be rewarded, and thus would no longer feel hate (thus no cruelty), a generous person would be shunned and thus no one would feel privilaged for receiving gifts from them (thus no envy). The positive and negative would exist in a constant state of harmony...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Imagine if posts like this didn't appear on ATS. But..... its ATS

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by daggyz

No, its philosophy and metaphysics. Taking on one of the cornerstones of the new-age paradigm is something I believe to be worthy of ATS in general.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

I'm really confused as to what you mean here. If you choose to experience things in duality (i.e., good/evil) then they coexist, in harmony, by default. They can't do anything else. What you're confusing is your perception of them and their existence.

You could also choose to perceive things only as they are, without labels, without duality, by accepting their existence simply for what it is and nothing else. Karma does not create anything, therefore it cannot be the source of anything. That's like saying the sun is the reason for sunsets. The sun is there, regardless of what happens here or our subjective experience of it. It simply is.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Karma is not good or evil it is just the natural consequences of our actions and choices according to the natural laws of the universe. Kind of like gravity, if you jump off a building you will fall and hit the ground as a result of your action and choice.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Actually I reckon ignorance is the root of evil.

Karma is just cause and effect, albeit really complex.

As for your "what if" scenario, our positive actions already do create negativity and vice versa. The opposing charges are in a cosmic balance, create more of one pole and you inevitable create more of the other polarity.
edit on 15-2-2011 by polarwarrior because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Karma is supposed to function as a compassionate teacher, nothing to run away from.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

First, your understanding of karma is off, so you should strive to understand it better if you wish to contemplate deeply on such things. Otherwise you are simply fooling yourself and anyone that will listen to you.

Second, it is not a reward/punishment device, sorry. These beliefs are held by only those who seek to convince themselves of unverifiable ideas out of self gratification. (ie. superstitions)

Third, the conceptual understanding of karma is not rooted in New Age philosophy, rather it is thousands and thousands of years old.

Throw a pebble into the water (cause), and waves will slowly ripple outwards.(effect)
Throw a 2 ton slab of concrete into the water (cause), and water will splash everywhere and you will get wet.(effect)
Karma is karma no matter how it effects you.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   

I gave you a star because i believe you are not the right track of thinking my friend. This is a very well thought out topic and to come up with a concept such as this required some out of the box thinking as well not only does it make sense but when applied to life almost seems to prove itself.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
Ok, perhaps I can reframe the idea. Basically, there is a paradise world where good and evil do not exist, karma is a natural result of polarity, however, because of the inherrent "direction" that karma operates in, it is the very force that binds us to duality in the first place. Thus, we have to learn from our "karmic lessons" in order to "escape" this world, which is in actual fact a prison. The framework being that animals do not experience "karma" and that we are evolved from animals, there must be an artificial system that controls our natural urges and impulses, inexplicably linked to the functioning of "karma".

I am making a distinction between "karma" and Newtons laws, mind you. "Karma" has many subjective interpretations, it is only the most basic definition that it is "cause and effect" however I am looking at it from a perspective of "free-will" (I think its an erroneous term) and "choice" - if we were controlled, then "free will" is to choose to obey our orders or stick it out for ourselves. When obeying, we must avoid "negativity" - or the instincts that we have been programmed to suppress.
edit on 15-2-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This paradigm might have legs id cause and affect were tangible entities.

Each of us are on our own journey.

If you want good 'karma' help someone / something with an agreement to help you back, implied or not.

If... I say IF

You create a mass movement (hum) that accepted a good deed create a bad return. Hmmm?

There is no meaning for bad. How can you do a bad deed if the result is good. It nix' itself out if you think about it. Good is not good any more if you're faced with something bad.

The names will swap places.

It's good to think outside your paradigm like this. Watch out for the bogeyman though.

It makes no sense at all.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

When Karma, as the bound self is undone, then the prison doors can no longer constrain us, and we're liberated into the nondual kingdom-life already, in the world, but not of it. However in this world, with plenty of it imprisoned in the matter of people's bodies everywhere, at a very low density, tightly held, the egoic structure, itself the prison cell holding them and to a degree, us (where we're all one), as prisoners of the past, it is very easy to get "reabsorbed" in the drama, and start projecting again something that we have yet to work out and work through, as karma. It's a teacher, nothing more, nothing less. Not even a prison keeper, at all times the key just hanging right there on our side of the bars!

The good news of karma is that it's own resolution is contained self referrenically imbedded within itself, it's undoing, already at hand in the absurdity of our own human misonceptions and misinterpretations and all manner of false judgements and false distinctions, at all levels. It's crazy. We were all nuts, insane.

Karma is the material for future comedians.

edit on 15-2-2011 by NewAgeMan because: edit

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by squandered

Yes, the names would swap places. I guess it is akin to saying that it is the very perception that something is "good" or that something is "bad" is the very basis for the tertiary consideration of "karma" as a balancing mechanism.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

In a way, I believe that many of our hopes and willingness to believe in these doctrines are a kind of "Stockholm Syndrome" - basically, begging our captors for an escape, obeying their "rules" when there are actually ways to cheat the system if not get it to collapse entirely. We really are monkeys to them - the rulers that is.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Don't buy into type of relativity. The universe is ruled by love.

There's no inversion where what was bad becomes what is now good. Woe to that POV, which goes nowhere fast.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SystemResistor
Ok, perhaps I can reframe the idea. Basically, there is a paradise world where good and evil do not exist, karma is a natural result of polarity, however, because of the inherrent "direction" that karma operates in, it is the very force that binds us to duality in the first place. Thus, we have to learn from our "karmic lessons" in order to "escape" this world, which is in actual fact a prison. The framework being that animals do not experience "karma" and that we are evolved from animals, there must be an artificial system that controls our natural urges and impulses.

You are believing in duality. Enlightenment is about getting back to the base root of the self. Duality is a simple symbol. It's not high level thinking, but deemed necessary.

It starts with polarities and ends with polarities. The simple idea is to not accept the polarities as the thing, and acknowledge the thing despite it's polariries. Some things aren't that interesting.

A good dead to me is it's result, not the action. That depends on if you tie happiness to 'good'.

I think you have stepped out to believe in karmic reactions. You make your own karma well enough. When you call the world a prison your energy goes red and I see bad karma - as you put it. Life is full of bad karma because we see negatives and positives and not the whole thing.

Middle way, huh..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   

There are no rulers, in truth. Wherein virtue is power restrained for the sake of love.

The gate is held open by powerful arms, and that there is a gate, is the highest gift from the highest power!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NewAgeMan

Yes, I think the true logic is more complex than positive and negative. Possibly four-pointed (a quaternity) as another poster had suggested to me.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by squandered

I wonder, what is it inside of us that deems there to be a "polarity" in the first place//?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Two trees of life on either side of a flowing riving of life (flow of life)

...no tree of the knowledge of good and evil anywhere in sight, ever again.

Karma, having been transcended, by he who overcomes.

The water flows over the rock of ages (great truth), as a water fall, and then flows in swirling pools of infinite possibility (two strange attractors?)

It's a new type of duality, precisely.

What it is however, although we can intuit it, we cannot fully understand it, only live it.

edit on 15-2-2011 by NewAgeMan because: edit

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join