It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This 3-D Cam Captures Close Encounters With the Aquatic Kind *pics*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Pictures are not in 3D unfortunately, but beautiful enough to whet your appetite if you like documenteries and are a fan of the new 3D phenomena. Yes I am aware it isn't new...
but the old kind of falls flat in comparison.

When you’re going below the surface to capture the hidden life of a coral reef, you want to get in close. Until now, though, 3-D cameras kept their operators at a distance: Imax rigs are very bulky because of the waterproof housing needed to hold the huge rolls of film. And typical digital 3-D cameras have to stay about 6 feet from a subject or the resulting image will make viewers queasy. But D. J. Roller’s Last Reef, out this summer, features eye-popping ultra-close-up 3-D shots of sea turtles, rays flying through the depths, and giant bubble-gum-pink sea anemones.

Roller learned his 3-D chops working alongside James Cameron, so when he set out to film the annual mass spawning of corals and the reef bleaching caused by rising ocean acidity, he and his partners took Cameron’s approach and developed their own system. The custom unit includes the first underwater housing for what’s called a beamsplitter 3-D camera, which can capture tight macro shots but until now was used only on land. Roller also designed a polarized dive mask that lets him review footage underwater in 3-D and make changes on the fly, thus maximizing his window of time for documenting the spawning. He’s thinking about licensing the technology. Fingers crossed someone uses it to remake Jaws 3-D with some gross-out closeups.

I really can't wait to see this. The fact that James Cameron taught him is even beter. Whether you liked Avatar as a movie or not, the special effects were breathtaking to say the least.

I just had to post some pics even though they aren't "jumping" out into our laps. The movie should be out of this world. I know I am a geek.

More pics can be seen here if anyone is interested.
www.wired.com...

edit on 2/14/2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
*Applauded*
edit on 15-2-2011 by alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Holy crap thats a big camera the diver is holding... I am thinking the flash bulb from that would fry anything in the way lol.

Nice find btw.. Good stuff

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

I was a bit sceptical when I heard that the next Avatar instalment would possibly take place in the ocean, but when I see articles like this I am inclined to change my mind. Cameron certainly doesn't do things by half!

Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the article

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Somehow I missed that rumor. But that would be beyond uber awesome if they did film it underwater! I remember seeing Jaws in 3D. It doesn't compare.

I may be able to forgive Cameron for leaving me hanging on the first Avatar if the sequel blows the first part out of the water....literally.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Yeah, it's something he is looking into apparently.

Would be interesting to see how he approaches it.

'Avatar 2 will head to the oceans'

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alien

Can I say thank you without getting my post removed for a one line response?

But seriously, thank you. I am glad you enjoyed the pictures.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

It is huge. The third picture down reminded me of a microwave oven.

Your flash comment had me giggling. Poor fish might be blinded forever!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Star for the link! I enjoyed it.
I guess the guys doing this successfully will make an under water Avatar even more probable.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
What amazing pictures!! thank you for sharing this, It really is amazing to see..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
it is amazing new technology that enables them to do so ... very nice pictures also ... thanks

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I am just glad someone enjoyed them as much as I did.

Now if we could find a way to film things much, much, deeper we would be set!

new topics

top topics

join