It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are at home and an EMP burst goes off

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   
it would then be time...

time to harvest lumber..
time to plant crops (seed archive and if weather permits)
time to get my bottles for the creek
time to make soap from lye from ashes
time to make wine from the grapes
time to restart if nothing comes back on

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
First thing I would do is get out my small solar panel and set it up to run my food dehydrator. Without the electricity to run my freezer, there is a lot of meat that would spoil after a couple of days, so I would try to get it all dried into jerky. Would try to do that with some of the frozen vegetables too. I would immediately send the hubby to the Walmart down the street to buy as much vitamin C, calcium,and multivitamins as he could carry. Another couple bags of flour, sugar, and rice, a few more cans of tuna, a few more packets of yeast, and a couple more boxes of powdered milk wouldn't hurt either. Other than that, we're fairly well prepped.

posted on Mar, 6 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Get the Guns , Candles , Food , Water , Warm Clothing , then Bug Out to the Hills and WAIT.........

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Bar the doors and windows in case of rioting/breakins unless I was alone, in which case I would ride it out with the neighbors - probably at my place, as I have a wood stove. If I had a firearm, load it, and carry it at all times.

My important papers and valuables are already secured. I have a first aid kit and a good supply of my daily medications (which would present a life-threatening situation if abruptly discontinued).

Ensure a supply of potable water. Get out the camping grill, candles, and other equipment.

See if it was too late to disconnect the car battery.

Keep an extremely low profile.

Grab something out of the liquor cabinet and play a board game or read a book.

Meditate and think positive thoughts.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Most commercial aircraft are immune to EMP to some level, there are normally systems in place for total electrical failures, Mechanical failsafe and the like.

Nuclear power stations should be fine, THEY ARE emp shielded.
In the event of a electrical loss the control rods that are held up by electro magnets should SCRAM a reactor and shut it down.

You ham radio working depends if it is a transistor radio or valve. Valves should be somewhat more resistant a simpler to fix.
If your transistor radio fails though and its beyond the fuses you may have a large problem.

If a emp went off I would start boarding up windows and seeing what works. The streets would get rather violent with no lights with looters.

Just my 0.02 cents

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Get the generator out and carry on. How old does your car have to be to not be affected? I drive a 1970, is that old enough? We'd be able to see the stars better with no lights, so that would be cool.

posted on Mar, 10 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sbc650mike

If it has a carburetor it should be rather simple, the ignition may be toasted depending on the strength of the blast.
been as old as it is it should be one of these.
You may not have a radio though, probably the hardest thing to fix

If your car has electronic fuel injection and the latest central locking immobilizer kit you may be in trouble.

Diesel vehicles may just need a push to get them started,
Make sure you have some fuses on hand for your vehicles .

edit on 10-3-2011 by phantom150 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join