It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are at home and an EMP burst goes off

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

"You are at home and an EMP burst goes off...."

Me: Stop talking dirty...

I happen to live in a neighborhood that is about 80% elderly (60+) and one of about 6 families with kids (out of about 200 houses). After about thirty days most of them will be dead or nearly so. I can then loot their houses to extend my existence. Not pretty, I know... but pragmatic.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
What is your first reaction upon realising that there isn't going to be power, mabey for months. No cars (unless you have certain older cars) no computers, radios, tv, etc. What do you do?

Be thankful and start living a real life.

If that's what it takes so be it.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Firstly I'd be really annoyed if I was in the middle of my favourite series and would never know what happened in the end

When I'd come to my senses I think I'd be quite practical as, unlike my daughters, I can cook, sew, make things, don't need a car to get everywhere as I like walking. I think my first worry would be heating if it was winter, then I'd worry about my husband and one of the dogs as they are both on vital medications which would run in short supply very quickly - in fact, this would be the biggest worry. After that then food, of course, although we could probably manage for a month, it would then be a case of bartering or hunting.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
What I would do, since I live in a small town, would be to form an protection alliance between me and every one of my neighbors around me, I have a small yard covered in trees so i would cut them down and use it as barricades at strategic locations, then turn my small yard into a garden.

The alliance would then gather all their weapons, equipment, food and see what we have for disposal. The river in our town is about 4 blocks away, so we would have to secure a safe route between the town and the river. Then we turn the war machine on, as a semi-experienced blacksmith/bow crafter, We would start producing weapons for the unarmed since not everyone can have guns, We would equip everyone with a sturdy bow, a few arrows, and a spear for basic defensive needs. After the tribe is all setup and defended, we would pack up camp and leave the town, form up a settlement along the river in the forests, currently very few animals roam the forests around here, so we would have to setup large areas for farming. We would rebuilt our own shelters eventually, Maybe if we got lucky one of the people in the alliance would of owned a water turbine and set that up for some electrical fences,
i could go on forever..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
We were part of a blackout here that lasted several days , now if it was an emp where nothing would ever return to working that would be different , most people here just treated the blackout like it was camping at home
but I will tell you that when the blackout occurred I at first thought it could be an emp ,...I was outside washing the car & just noticed that everything seemed really quiet , went in & no power ,...neighbours said no power ...
a neighbour on a phone said there was now no power to the entire northeast area ,...thats when I thought , uh oh
only one thing can do that , I started thinking about food in freezers ,...defense & making a shelter from fallout dust
I was probably starting to panic really , but then i found a battery radio that worked & cars still worked , so we just waited it out ,...it is a bit scary to be in the city powerless & pitch black for days ,I do have one of those powerpacks now that will power ham radio cellphone tv radio , I would love to have a batt backup with solar , but i doubt that would survive a real emp,...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
After reading the book "A SECOND AFTER" I realized that stored food would only last so long and shorter if someone else found out about it. The conundrum I see is you store up all of this food then a woman with a 2 yr old daughter both looking to be nearly starved, comes up and asks for some food. Would you be able to turn them away? 2 answers no, then you would have to live with thinking they went and died because you did not help them; Yes they take the food then the next day there are 5000 people outside trying to break into your house to take your food.
People talk about buying gold and silver. If there was a monitary collapse or emp and your family has not eaten in 3 weeks and somebody has a big mac and all you have is a gold brick. How much is that gold worth??? A better investment would be firearms and bullets. Think about it you can feed, protect, and trade bullets, you cannot do that with gold. After the first years then slowly trade bullets for gold or whatever else is valued at the time.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
In short you can never have enough food, ammo, water, etc......you will just live day by day. If your eyes open then you live if they don't then sweet dreams.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

#1 pack and head out to the ranch in the middle of the woods.
#2 prepare to defend
#3 figure our water pump system
#4 use horse power to get to town and to gather food.
#5 ENJOY THE LIFE GOD MEANT FOR US TO LIVE FREE OF THE BULL#E AND LIES OF THE FALSE SOCIETY WE ARE SOLD FROM BIRTH.

#6 calls the friends and family to join me and start drum circles and prayer circles.
#7 reconnect with humanity.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Quasar_La-Zar

you would need to disguise your garden as not to look like a garden. You cannot stay awake 24/7.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
The best time to traverse an open area or do a food raid is during a storm. Dampens sound,visibility, washes away tracks.So if your are out of food And I know you have a garden keep an extra careful watch on rainy nights. Same with bypassing check points.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Be glad I have lots of reading material.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If an EMP burst goes off, that means the next salvo is full nuclear attack from the aggressor.

In-other-words, you'll soon be dead so say goodbye to your loved ones, make peace with yourself, and prepare for the end.

Your survival tactics better revolve around living underground in a fallout shelter capable of keeping you alive for the next 24 to 36 months. Anything other than that means your dead in a few minutes to hours after the EMP.

EMP's are designed to disable "defense" measures so that the next wave of nuclear missiles will have a higher chance of reaching their targets.

The first missile or two are always going to be EMPs, because the defending nation will not be quite as alarmed about 2 missiles as it would if it saw 2000 missiles coming. This means the defending nation will most likely stall on their decision to go full release back at the attacker.

So the defending nation stalls, the 2 EMPs go off, and suddenly much of the ground, plane, and satellite communications are knocked out. The ground based radars which are designed to track and target your next wave of nuclear missiles are knocked out.

The rest that follows is anyone's guess, but it most likely will result in full nuclear exchange and the world as we know it will be over.

Your ammo, knives, water, food, gear, shelter, and weapons will not protect you.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
First reply!

I'm from the Gulf Coast, we got slammed by Hurricane Georges and were without power for a few days. Then Katrina hit, I'm from the Pass Christian area, the eye wall drilled us hard. We didn't have nothing working, but we were lucky to just have some roof missing.

Like I said about the hurricane before Katrina, I learned my lesson before hand. I would do the same thing as I did then. Go into full out no holds bar survival mode. Trust me from experience from chasing looters, after some people had it soak in they were not going to having power for weeks and yes literally weeks, 24 days for us, they began looting and freaking out. Some did not even have water, Luckly I have Ham, etc.. I was able to help some.

But not me and mine freaked out, I went into my underground storage keep, pulling out my 100 watt solar panel, 2,500 watt inverter, and hooked up enough batteries to last, loaded my 7 guns, passed some to each member for protection, got out the food and repaired. It's really amazing what solar can do if you have the right things and knowledge. I was even able to hook up TV, and a small window AC. It was like 120 in the shade.

People can adapt with power, but what I saw what off the chart panic without regret. It was sad I had to chase people trying to loot, but I think that would be the most dangerous thing. People will invade the countryside when power and sewage fail.

So my list what I would do is, my solar power, literature for emergency techniques, Shortwave and Ham, Water, Oil and hand crank lamps, ammo, a solid medical kit, a solid plan, and a possitive strong attitude.

Other things would also play into effect, but those are the basics.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

I just picked two of the most common critters where I live, not nessicarily my first choice though, I prefer deer.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Ok, I'm going to put this here in this thread.

I just got an email from a good friend. He has a good friend in the ME, special forces, who told him a couple of days ago to stock up on food and fuel SOON.

That's all I'm going to say, and all I got, but I trust my source. No other clues, but if you put together where the person is that gave the info, I'd say first guess is war, but who knows, could be EMP, dollar collapse, solar flare, the reasons are out there. Edit to add could be huge fuel shortage or food shortage.

Look at the Iran warship/ Israeli issue today.

I'm off topic here, but there you go. I'd say stock up this week! Better safe than sorry.
edit on 16-2-2011 by SunnyDee because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

These emp weapons could be deployed by a satilite in orbit that simply explodes . Iran has put a test sattilite in orbit over us already . As far as an atomic attack it would not be needed because we would totally crippled and would not know who did it . They call it plausable deniability , and we would be trying to survive first off .

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MeMyselfI

The thing no one has brought up is how easy would it be for our own Gov't to do. After the NYC thing I would not put it past TPTB. No one would be able to find out cause there would be no communication at all. Just a humbling thought.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Communication is the number one weapon the average Joe has on hand. If you can get information from one location to another relevant to struggles, needs, freedom fighting, revolution, whatever... Someone can potentially hear the cry for help, or rally to the cause. That is why imho Egypt tried to shut down the internet while they clamped down illegally on the protesters.
Mainstream media are in many ways under the control of any government seeking to keep such events unknown to another section of its population.
The internet and other forms of personal communication should be made as free and open as possible to keep the flow of news and struggles and so forth openly free and communicable.

An EMP would be a great way to shut down a lot of communication in an instant and keep news of an attack or suppression - quiet.

Since joining ATS I have given a lot of thought to this type of subject. I think when I can my first thread will be along these lines to propose a project and a manual of types to help in the event of such possible future events.

Nothing is as unexpected as a population expecting, preparing, and circumventing such issues.

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by JDBlack
What is your first reaction upon realising that there isn't going to be power, mabey for months. No cars (unless you have certain older cars) no computers, radios, tv, etc. What do you do?

Replace the wiring harness on my car and go to work.

If you haven't prepared and can't Mc Guyver your way out of this you really are a sheep.

Computers might be down but I'll bet the books, pens and paper still work.

posted on Mar, 5 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

I'm pretty sure most planes are not allowed to fly over major area's, For example planes are forced to fly into Sydney port side for these, and other reasons.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join