It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are at home and an EMP burst goes off

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

Total liberal who would be crying for the governement to come and save them.

Survival of the fittest. One down ten million to go.

Nothing against liberals but ask the people from Katrina how well that worked for tehm.

Imaging walking down the street with your children in tow and some thugs approach you with guns and rob you and take your wife and rape her right in front of you and kill you and your kids and take all you stuff that is right your dead.

Me I would not be in that situation. I would have bugged out. you would have stayed hoping to suck on the teet of the government and you the young libral mind set programmed by your scools would get you dead.

Stay alert stay alive.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
EMP that fries everything is the worst doom possible. Because a week or two later you have zombie apocalypse because hungry people are zombies, and they are zombies that will be armed with guns.

All I can say is you better be ready for a deathmatch, or go somewhere where there are no people for a few months.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

Flag for you my friend.

Me as well I'm ready.

Bring it on already.

We need mother nature to do her thing and cull the weak from this planet so only the strong and prepared survive.

This will allow the survival of mankind to go on..

Just think if we were reliying on people like him or her to carry on the gene pool with that mind set.

Oh I have to say mankind is screwed.

Flag for u.

RB

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If an EMP did go off, depending on time of year my reactions would be different heat versus cold and all.

If middle of winter it would depend on if it was wet or dry icy or snowy. In the most extreme icy and snowy conditions, would gather my dry firewood, and light some up trying to conserve as much as possible but still keeping the family comfortable. Shovel snow into Buckets to melt and use for water, and gather and melt ice as well. Ration the food I have, if run low, there is always trapping and hunting, plenty of deer and rabbit around here.

If in the middle of the hottest driest summer, First thing is to get the family cooled down, luckily the family pool comes in handy for that. Second while they are cooling down Gather up all dried wood to put with firewood to hold us through the winter. Check the water levels in my water tanks. Once again, I would ration my existing food supplies as best I could, use the refrigerated food first. Hunting and trapping can be used in any season, and with communications down all bets are off as to what is in season and what is not.

Make some bows and some arrows as well, have done this previously. I would not rely on fire arms, because once you run out of ammunition, it would be pretty much useless, that said, I would still keep a backup pistol and rifle around, just in case, but would use the ammunition as sparingly as possible. A good machete by my side is always a good idea as well.

I have no need to worry about electric can do without if need be, though it is nice to have. I make due without in all kinds of camping situations, both through some of the worst winters and the hottest summers.

There are some other things I probably left out but these are the basics.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Drop to your knees and pray. I am not religious, but you're going to need all the strength and mental spirit, that God can give you.

First day, Oh what happened? THis is wild!
Second day, Oh S$#$ we don't have much food and no water. Lets join in the looting.
Third day, Who's got diabetic meds? Drug store is empty. No one working
fourth day, Shots heard all day. People wandering around my house!
fifth day, still no answers, chaos, no one in charge, no police, no military.
seventh day, Wonder how grandpa is doing at old folks home? 90% dead, and the rest wandering naked and dirty. Hospitals no better.

Read One Second After by William Forstchen. Exactly about this in the US. No t pretty and makes you REALLY hope this never happens.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Get the guns ready. Inspect the bikes and plan for the worst to come out in people.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
well for one, I would be out of work, since my job revolves around technology, and power, second I would have plenty of time to get set up with all my goodies, and sit tight and weather it out. Oh, btw a microwave oven makes a good faraday cage in a pinch

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Can anyone give advice on building a faraday cage? Seeing as to the prevalence of public oppinion that likes them. Also an alternater would survive in a faraday cage right?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Round up the neighbors.
Form a block watch party.

Going to work is pretty much done with.
Time to circle the wagons and start seeing how to survive.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
assess adapt survive.

You don't need to be a paranoid survivalist to make it through a bad situation.

I wonder how many "survivalist" that have some twisted fantasy about these situation would have a heart attack and die due to being over-excited that it has finally happened???

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Unplug the Gibson.
Pick up the Martin.
Keep on pickin'.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
as others have said make sure the extreme prejudice peez dispensers are filled and ready to rock, check the wood pile, candles, inventory etc. come up with a short term plan with close neighbors to figure out who can assist who and what water supply problems there may be, throw the steaks in the freezer on the grill, & drink the beer while its still cold, if possible wait it out a few days (just to be sure of the situation, don't want to be walking around with weapons etc. just to be put in jail)

then go to a family members house with a bigger land estate and setup bottleneck points with neighbors to protect the neighborhood, while trying to help those who are not prepared (trying to keep the bar as high as possible in the humanity aspect, as this is one of our strongest traits/gifts)

also I with all the EMP talk, has anyone considered that there may be 2 EMP attacks potential one and then a later one to be sure all electronics are dead, just thinking out of the box, if the EMP was intentional whose to say they wouldn't do another

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I think some of you need to consider the real world timing of this in regard to what you know and what you don't.

1. Your power goes out. Now if you happen to just be sitting there watching television or playing on your computer, you might just assume that you've lost power to your residence.

Would you normally just start loading weapons at that point?

2. You check your phone, either mobile or land-line. Uh oh. No good on either. That's strange.

Do you assume that it's due to an EMP at that point? It's not like you have a radio/TV/Internet source at that point.

3. This is when it gets gray. Depending on the strength and origin of the EMP, you may still have devices that work.

When would you know for sure?

That's all I'm saying.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
First things first………
Never assume that everything is completely dead.

Go out to my big van. Check to see if it will crank over.
No, then change the starter solenoid and repair as needed.
When it will crank over, check for spark.
No spark, then check the ignition coil, and replace the TFI ignition module as needed with spares I have on hand.
When I get spark, then check the brain to see if it gives a coherent response.
No response, then disconnect the brain because the engine system the van has, will run without the help of the brain (feedback carburetor) all be it, not a smoothly.
Start van, and check for proper charging.
No charging, then check and repair the alternator system as needed.

Repeat diagnostics for car. I have a spare brain and a full set of spare sensors and electronics on hand for that one.

Next step……..
Small engines.
Go to every small engine I have, and check for spark. Make note of which ones work, and which ones don’t. Check all the spare magnetos I have sitting around. If a critical engine(generator) doesn’t have a spark, then see if I can find a working magneto that can be used on it. Replace as necessary.

Delegate one of the two generators I have that has points type ignition to refrigerator duty to keep the frozen food usable until it can be eaten.

Next step…
Get one of my old tube type HF transceivers on the air and see how the rest of the world is doing.

Next step..
Test all 12V and battery powered equipment one at a time to see what is still functioning and what is not. Do basic triage diagnostics on the stuff that is not functioning properly to see if it is a simple fix, or a difficult one. Delegate repair time over the coming days depending on difficulty and how critical the item is that needs

Next step.
Use a working generator to start powering up 120v equipment one at a time to see what is still functioning and what is not. Do basic triage diagnostics on the stuff that is not functioning properly to see if it is a simple fix, or a difficult one. Delegate repair time over the coming days depending on difficulty and how critical the item is that needs repaired.

Most of my neighbors will have already been working at checking functionality of various equipment, so I will head out to help them.

After all that is the primary concern is salvage and delegation of available spare parts through the local neighborhood.

If it is summer, then all is fine.
If it is winter then firewood gathering will become a community chore.

Long term situations. Communications with the power company and local utilities to see if they need any help that the local community can provide (diesel powered water pumps, disconnecting all electric loads, exec), and the status of the utility systems. (water, power, and gas)

Take all available information in, and work from there.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
I think some of you need to consider the real world timing of this in regard to what you know and what you don't.

1. Your power goes out. Now if you happen to just be sitting there watching television or playing on your computer, you might just assume that you've lost power to your residence.

Would you normally just start loading weapons at that point?

2. You check your phone, either mobile or land-line. Uh oh. No good on either. That's strange.

Do you assume that it's due to an EMP at that point? It's not like you have a radio/TV/Internet source at that point.

3. This is when it gets gray. Depending on the strength and origin of the EMP, you may still have devices that work.

When would you know for sure?

That's all I'm saying.

I think it would be obvious when you try to turn on your battery powered AM radios and all you can hear is static, or nothing at all.

Don’t get all freaked out if the first radio doesn’t work. Try a couple more to see if the result is the same. If it is, then it is the real thing.

If it was an EMP and you can still hear a bunch of AM stations on the air, and it didn’t do enough damage to worry about in the first place, so it would be better to treat it as a normal widespread power outage.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
At least one wouldnt have to worry about how to get home....(the least of one's worries). Time to review one;s disaster plans and get used to a world without modern conveniences....maybe I will finally finish reading the classics in a world without television programs or computer distractions.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
How would anyone know it was an EMP? I guess the fact that your car doesn't start would be it. Otherwise,
the average person would not even know for a week or two. I guess it would be eat the food in the refrigerator first, then the freezer, the pantry, plant garden and hunt for squirrels/birds. Anyone on sustaining medicine needs to walk to the pharmacy and write a big check for their medicine. Everyone would be walking. Hords of people would eventually fight over food and geneocide would occur. The people who don't have food would get weaker and die. I read somewhere it would take years to get transformers from over seas. It really is a smart thing to unplug your appliances when not using them, vampire energy reasons included. It might be smart to find shelter.
The EMP could mean Nuclear war or Solar radiation energy....radiation sickness.....sterialization of reproductive systems. This is why people have bug out bags ready, and storage of canned foods and rice. Have prior knowledge of a cave or bank vault you can take cover in.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

I secure my personal perimeter, I negotiate with my neighbors to form a loosely-knit larger neighborhood perimeter and determine what we all have that we can contribute towards our collective survival/transition.

Survivor rules apply: The less that you can personally contribute, the lower you are on the totem pole. All contributions are welcome, but non-contributors are not.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Grab the horse next door go get my kids at school.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
When your house power goes off you should throw the Main Breaker to Off , what ever hasn't been fried you don't want continued blasts to ruin the appliances that haven't been damaged. Lightening storms and power outages and having the electric turned off are cases where turning the main off might be prudent. Getting out of car and disconnecting your car's battery might be smart too. Seek shelter under a highway bridge for 72 hours incase its a nuclear event. Take bug out bag out of your car with you. I guess we all take every sane day for granted and should think emergency preparedness.
edit on 15-2-2011 by frugal because: spelling

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join