It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are at home and an EMP burst goes off

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
i'd be pissed off.

can't live without fox news and ats.

make me a one man mad max.

i have the clothes too.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Glad I've lived off the grid before and know how to make all the things needing to be powered powered. I have seen some amazing things including a laptop converted to 12v to work off a car battery directly greatly decreasing it's drain. You can buy the actual cells off ebay in do it yourself kits that make it much cheaper if you can solder...
Rain catching is another thing and with the help of an electric pump you can have running water it might be only be a sink and shower...I mean really you can have all the comforts your used to if you think about it free power isn't top secret or anything it's out there for everyone and quite affordable. They now print the photo cells in a process much like printing paper www.nanosolar.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Tayesin

I'm going to ignore your comment about your daughter and the reality you've allowed her to succumb to, and press right on to what really ground my gears.

Why are all the people running to the shops 'small minded'? Because they're not well prepared for a friggin apocolypse?? Give me a break, if an EMP went off I'd probably head to the shops to grab some food and gardening tools as well - but right now I'm not too concerned about surviving a disaster, not because I think it's unlikely, but because survival at all costs isn't really what I'm about.

Let me make this very clear, most of the people running to the shops likely have a mind comparable to yours, sure your priorites might differ - but that's about it; being prepared is a decision you've made, I'm probably just as worried about having to resort to basic survival at some point soon, and I couldn't be less prepared.
Your comment is more indicative of your small mind than anyone else's, and (as a 21 year old male) I'm a little disappointed to hear somebody responsible for rearing children speaking in such a pretentious manner towards their fellow man; hate breeds hate.

I've got better things to do day-to-day than ensure my survival, should my area be subject to an EMP - lol.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Tomorrow?
Move out to the travel trailer, open the Faraday cage and retrieve the electronic goodies protected by it,live comfortably on the stored food I have till spring.
Then comes the fun part of staking my claim on formerly Federal land and living like it was 1880.

Except with better guns.

I'm ready----are you?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ballsdeep
reply to post by Tayesin

I'm going to ignore your comment about your daughter and the reality you've allowed her to succumb to, and press right on to what really ground my gears.

Why are all the people running to the shops 'small minded'? Because they're not well prepared for a friggin apocolypse?? Give me a break, if an EMP went off I'd probably head to the shops to grab some food and gardening tools as well - but right now I'm not too concerned about surviving a disaster, not because I think it's unlikely, but because survival at all costs isn't really what I'm about.

Let me make this very clear, most of the people running to the shops likely have a mind comparable to yours, sure your priorites might differ - but that's about it; being prepared is a decision you've made, I'm probably just as worried about having to resort to basic survival at some point soon, and I couldn't be less prepared.
Your comment is more indicative of your small mind than anyone else's, and (as a 21 year old male) I'm a little disappointed to hear somebody responsible for rearing children speaking in such a pretentious manner towards their fellow man; hate breeds hate.

I've got better things to do day-to-day than ensure my survival, should my area be subject to an EMP - lol.

WoW.
Life must be nice.
Wonderful example of a "liberal education".
I may suggest your attitude may change in a couple decades when you have senior parents on fixed income and a few grandchildren.
Maybe a minor disaster---like 72 hours without power in the winter would change your priorities.

Ever tried to run to a shop for supplies during even a minor disaster?
Here's a hint for you. What is left on the shelves are things you don't need, you can't afford, and if you can afford them, they won't take checks or credit cards.

I admit----being Mad Max has it's advantages, and if I were a lone wolf, all my emergency preparations would fit in a backpack. (And 2 holsters and a shoulder strap)

Most of it could be purchased on what a typical 21 year old spends on Starbucks and Bud Light in a month.
That kind of life appeals to me, but at more than twice your age, I have this thing called "dependents".

People who have never desired to try to see what it is like to live without electricity, kill and dress their own meat, or plant and harvest their own roots, fruits and vegetables. People who may die from a minor infection or broken bone because 911 doesn't work anymore.

Should I cast them upon their own resources simply because they were too caught up in maintaining the status quo, only desired a public education and believed all they were taught, and thought government handouts lasted forever?

Duty ,honor, and responsibility seem to have been bred out of the gene pool lately.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I would stick a sheet with the ATS home page on the computer monitor.
And complain that the down load speed is Very slow.

I have recharge batters 12v and lots of small solar panels.
And a inverter 12V to mains volt. But it will not work with the computer!
I will just have to play on the game consol.
"Life goes on"

I have lots of food and water.
Must get more nuts and honey and candles.
Got weapons. Would take the radiators off the walls.
And put them over the inside if the windows, nice.
I have my small electrical stuff in a lead box.
You can get lead sheets from the builders.
I am very good at mending and making stuff.
So I could trade my skills.
So could a lot of you to.
you have information that can help people. use it.

Is there a simple way to link a computer to batteries?
It is only 12V 5V and 3.5V +/-
And I have lots of recharge batters.
And a adapter to charge them form 12V bat/solar.
a good tip. Take the up stairs doors off.
And put them over the windows. In side.
And you can fix a door over the stairs.
And live up stairs.
One big danger is Fire!
You can lose it all.
So buiry some all over.
Don’t put it in the same place.
if some one sees you, you lose it All.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

reply to post by Tayesin

G'day BD,

Hit a nerve did I?

Do you have children? Ever tried to Balance the all pervasive Youth Culture with Sensible perceptions to your own Teenage Child? If the answer is No to those two questions then you have no reference point to chide me on.

Sorry, I just read you are only 21 years old... so the answers to my above questions must be a resounding NO then.

To specifics....

Small minded is what the vast majority of human beings on this world today are. And it is so because most Think Far Too Small... staying within the Comfortable Limitations of their own Culture. It's not their fault, it is the Indoctrination Process from birth that is responsible. And before you chide me on my use of words I suggest you look closely at why you had a Negative Reaction to begin with... therein lay a key for your own growth.

No HATE in my words young fella... they are Observations over 50+ years of life on this world. When you get to here then I would love to see how you express your own Observations. For now you are unable to do so because of one small fact of life.. you have not lived long enough.. experience enough.. Yet.. to have Wisdom in greater propertion.. with wisdom being how we live the Knowledge we gained.

If you knew me you would know I hate nothing.. I love unconditionally.. doesn't mean I have to use flowery little bleeding-heart phrases and words to make sure everyone doesn't have a Reaction. In fact.. I speak as I do because I do not shrink to save other's comfort zones.. no living small here.

I am prepared for when the power does go out for good.. and I look forward to it immensely as I have known about it approaching for more than 30 years.... plenty of time to get used to the idea and it's consequences.

Be well.. try not to jump before looking with open eyes next time.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JDBlack

KInd of "tricky" for me!
I have become "addicted" to the internet!

The rest I can throw it away!
In fact I just smashed my cell phone and I swear I WILL NOT HAVE A CELL PHONE EVER!
Who whants to talk to me will have to use fix phone or come by to talk to me

I'm sick of being disturbed from pooing , eating my meal , f...g my girl friend , watching a movie, IN FACT A CELL PHONE IS A "VERY LONG ARM " FOR EVERYONE TO START ASKING YOU "QUESTIONS" !
I found that unacceptable! (makes me think why I bought a cell phone first time years ago ...)
As for TV , an other things...
WELL, men must start living differently !
NO MORE BRAINWASHING!
Those that are TRUE MEN will survive , the rest ... well , that's life!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Go immediately to the nearest store and take all I can carry in water and foods. Get gas if possible.
I have stored what I can but would try and get more.
edit on 15-2-2011 by bastet11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gotrox

reply to post by Tayesin

WoW.
Life must be nice.
Wonderful example of a "liberal education".
I may suggest your attitude may change in a couple decades when you have senior parents on fixed income and a few grandchildren.
Maybe a minor disaster---like 72 hours without power in the winter would change your priorities.

Ever tried to run to a shop for supplies during even a minor disaster?
Here's a hint for you. What is left on the shelves are things you don't need, you can't afford, and if you can afford them, they won't take checks or credit cards.

I admit----being Mad Max has it's advantages, and if I were a lone wolf, all my emergency preparations would fit in a backpack. (And 2 holsters and a shoulder strap)

Most of it could be purchased on what a typical 21 year old spends on Starbucks and Bud Light in a month.
That kind of life appeals to me, but at more than twice your age, I have this thing called "dependents".

People who have never desired to try to see what it is like to live without electricity, kill and dress their own meat, or plant and harvest their own roots, fruits and vegetables. People who may die from a minor infection or broken bone because 911 doesn't work anymore.

Should I cast them upon their own resources simply because they were too caught up in maintaining the status quo, only desired a public education and believed all they were taught, and thought government handouts lasted forever?

Duty ,honor, and responsibility seem to have been bred out of the gene pool lately.

I've lived without electricity (or any modern tools really) for extended periods of time and had no difficulty adjusting to the situation. Don't get me wrong I'm very in touch with my position cosmically, globally, socially, as an animal and especially as a part of nature; which leads me back to my original point which you have not addressed (sorry I skimmed your post because the first two paragraphs were totally irrelevant to what I was saying).

I am not unprepared as a result of my failure to acknowledge the likelihood of the services I depend on daily being disabled; I am unprepared because I make a conscious decision to focus my priorities elsewhere, the fact that I may die as a result is arbitrary. I'd rather have a short stay here focusing on what good I can experience and share, rather than being consumed by the bad that could occur.

Edit - to address the second half of your post, I would probably have conditioned my 'dependents' differently, but again that is something I would consider a priority, you may not.
I was just appalled by that woman's pretentious attitude towards people who were not prepared...
edit on 15-2-2011 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

Edit 2- who are you to attack my level of responsibility? You're in absolutely no position to speculate, I was merely pointing out that Tayesin's attitude towards the general population was pretty poor, not attacking her values (or yours)?

edit on 15-2-2011 by ballsdeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
If I didnt have enough canned goods to last me a few months, I'd walk 3 blocks to the grocery store with a dufflebag and loot some canned salmon, soups and such.

Its not like the police will respond or anything. Its going to be a joke when it happens.

Nothing in our society will function the way its supposed to.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
NYC was pretty civil in the last blackout.
Stores will probably be giving out food for free again because of the spoiling.

I have tons of canned food stacked up so I will just eat some of that for awhile and then leave the city altogether since NYC doesn't grow or farm its own food, Its delivered to us.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Finish my cuppa.. Grab my fishing pole and go fishing.. Being far from "civilisation" has its benefits.. Life in my area will go on as it has for centuries.. So yep will go fishing as usual..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Get the guitar out and start playing. I think what I might do is cover the cupboard in the hall with tinfoil and keep some random electronics in there, laptop, TV, DVD player etc. I have a diesel generator, a couple of solar panels and a wind turbine so electric generation shouldn't be a problem.

That and a years supply of tuna and pot noodles and I'm good.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I know none of you fools are going to shoot a guy armed with an ATS Shirt on,if im coming up the driveway.......

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Im not really sure what I need electricity for that isnt convenience or empty entertainment.

What do I need it for? I lived without it for months before the town/state came in and told me I had to have it or face eviction from my own property. They thought the house was unoccupied because there were no utilities being consumed.

Let it all go down. It'd be nice to have some quiet for once.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   

I am not unprepared as a result of my failure to acknowledge the likelihood of the services I depend on daily being disabled; I am unprepared because I make a conscious decision to focus my priorities elsewhere, the fact that I may die as a result is arbitrary. I'd rather have a short stay here focusing on what good I can experience and share, rather than being consumed by the bad that could occur.

Excellently said BD.

Common ground between us right there.

So now to drop the judgements to see what else is the same, yes?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
First thing i would do is turn my laptop on and log into good ol dialup to see what's going on, after getting over the confusion of why my phone wont turn on or any other electrical device that was turned on i would walk outside and turn on the petrol generator, and later likely try to repair the solar panels on my roof.

If i learned or realized it was an EMP i would fill every sink in the house with water. I would try to cover the food we have in our gardens with something thick enough to stop rain.

Then keep stalking the internet, old radios and any other medium that has not dropped out to try and figure out wtf is going on.

I would also grab older phones to try and tap into 3G networks.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
First I'd have my sons chopping fire wood, LOTS OF IT!!! Id grab a few buckets and start hauling water from the spring. More than likely we would have a bbq and also start making jerky with all the meat that's in the freezer. The next day Id saddle up the horse and go visit neighbors and see about starting a barter system of some sort. OH! I would also do a dance of joy since I would not have to go back to work

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I wish. I cannot wait for the # to hit the fan.

First off it is cold out I would fire up my wood stove. Second off I would find my family and get them back home asap by any means neccessary.

Then I would prepare for possible intruders to try to come and steal my wood.

Hopefully my generator under my lead panel box is operational.

I work with X-rays shielding and have got some nice sheets of lead from the trash at work when we through them away when eq is scrapped. so I built a cage and box around it to shield it so EMP should not impact it. It is isolated from ground as it is sitting on a insulator or peek material and internally insulated on the back side of the lead with lexan.

I have about 2 years supply of dry food and canned goods. I have a well for my water source and have a manual hand pump to draw water with 100ft of superthane poly tubing.. If I pull the cap off my well the water is visible at about 75 feet down.

With all the anaimal snow bond like the deer due to all the deep snow we have plucking a deer would be my first meals for meat source.

I would pop a deer out in my back yard as they are scavenging for buds and low hanging branched for food. they are everywhere.

I would not have to worry about food defrosting in my chest freezer I can bring it to the attick in my coolers as it is freezing up there uninsulated.

I have about tem bags of bird food as ai love watching them outside the windows. I could easily catch some small foul to feed mr balck and his companion. Dogs nned to eat too. I only keep three 40lb bags of doog food on hand but I would obviosly scale back on their consuptions.

I'm ready when TSHTF. The only thing I reealy need to get more supplies for are the kids. Some extra oral antibiotics. Cypro should do the trick.

Booze got plenty but would save to stay alert.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join