It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You are at home and an EMP burst goes off

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
What is your first reaction upon realising that there isn't going to be power, mabey for months. No cars (unless you have certain older cars) no computers, radios, tv, etc. What do you do?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I start loading the guns....
second

link   
Mmmmm I have a nice woman!!!!

link   
reply to post by JDBlack

Go play outside.

link   
Embrace the freedom from technology. It would not be easy considering how much our daily lives depend on technology, but there are times I've had to go months without a cell phone due to financial reasons, and it was actually quite liberating. Sure a cellphone is convenient and all, but I think it would be a good time for humans to get back in touch with nature and reality so to speak.

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
i would embrace it, dont hate me but also i think this could be very beneficial to humanity. sure it would suck for a a while but just like anything we'd get use to it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't know. After playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, it aroused my interest in the "what if" statement regarding an EMP but I really haven't thought it out thoroughly. My first action might be to try and round up some neighbors? Then maybe see what we have collectively, I don't know if any of my neighbors are prepared for a big event like that. I don't really have a big stash of food anywhere or even ammo really. I should really prepare myself better. I'm anxious to see where this thread goes! S+F (when I get on the PC...damn Blackberry)

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
The sky is falling guy I sometimes am, I have tried to prepare by wrapping some critical devices in aluminum, and placed in a Faraday cage. However, if power didn't return for months, then it would be no good. Most people don't realize either, that most cars would not run, too.

I would communicate with neighbors, see if I could help in any way and probably read a few books. I think beer would be nice, too. But really, what would there be to do except simple things.

Good thing is you wouldn't have to pay any bills.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
For one I don't know why I don't hear more about people building their own solar panels and stuff...you know if you have this type of back up system and it's not on during said EMP that it will be fine or even further you can make cheap easy faraday cages in the room or area you have your inverter, charge controler, ect...Then you will have free power no matter what and yea the armory would be opened and the compound would lock down lol...luckily I live in a rather rural place the mobs won't be too thick here!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
First.. help my teenage daughter to understand her world hasn't come to an end.. no Facebook, no Phone, etc... ahhh bliss for me.

Second.. watch all the small minded's running to shops to get everything they can.

Third... assess what we need for some time either at home in the vegie patch or out bush starting a vegie patch until we get a clearer picture of what is what and what paths to take.

Fourth.. let the world go by in it's ever consuming madness... and smile.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The way we are set up on our homestead....

Do a quick inventory of the freezers and plan the next few days meals around what's in them.... feed us, the farm animals...etc.

Then go to the lake across the road and get water for the animals for that day.

Get in enough firewood to cook with for that day in the woodstove....

Break out the candles, matches, lamp oil...

Make sure the manual can opener is in place and dig the back up out of the root cellar..

Clean the guns and fully fill the ammo clips and shotguns...

Run barbed wire arouns the perimeter and fences that already run along the edges of our farm...close and secure the gates at the drive...

Saddle up our horses...

Await the arrival of family and friends who have been instructed to make their way here as best they can in the event of just such an event.

Break out the Bible and pray and thank God that we are in pretty good shape ...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
For me depends on which home, college or actual. College, get on my bicycle and hope it's warm for the ride home, prolly two days of biking. If home, start to make the house hard to enter without permission, then hope we have ammo for the guns, cause if not we're kinda screwed (don't know ammo situation), then try to aquire food that will last unrefrigerated if it isn't cold out. If I have guns hunt for seagull, rabbit, etc, if not hope the pellets kill them and/or break out bows for bigger things.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RickyD

Also this is new info for me. Does anyone know if a car alternater would still work after an EMP, if car is off, cause there are ways to get power from an alternater and car batteries if you have a converter (not sure if i do, need to get one, ahh well, money sucks)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Start loading the guns also.
barricading my house.
Get my katana (Japanese sword) and distribute weapons to my uncles, cousins.
Formulating a plan prevent looting .... prepare family members the mentality of "do or die"

Next thing you know ..... it's just a normal blackout.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Yay! No more ATS draining my energy. I need to break this nasty habit.

By then I'll have sufficient gear and dehydrated food to live good deep in the woods.

I'd grab the dog go. Maybe manifest a woman on the way...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by alyoshablue

Mainly because of cost, although you are spot on. However, I may end up making use of that old exercise bike in the basement.
edit on 14-2-2011 by alyoshablue because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Ok so I was wrong even if it's off cars included it will fry them but you can make faraday cages pretty cheap and easy check this out preparednesspro.wordpress.com/2009/06/18/emp-101-part-iv-faraday-cage/
edit on 14-2-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-2-2011 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
EMP's go off, and life as you know it will cease.

No transportation of necessities. Water tower pumps - out. Banks - done. Grocery stores - emptied in hours. Refrigeration - none. Medicines - no more. Hospitals - done.

Here in the US, tens of millions dead within 30 days.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
Id go get a big gun.baracade my house and gun down any one i see as unsafe.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Depends on whether my electronics are blown or not.

If not, I dig out an alternator from the garage junk and hook it up to a bicycle, and start scrounging batteries. And immediately, before all else, get hold of as many solar panels as I can.

Then start the full-on going solar process.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join