It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Signs Identity Theft Sentencing Law!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   
President Bush (news - web sites) signed a new law Thursday requiring stiff prison sentences for people convicted of using or providing fake IDs
in committing terrorist acts and other types of crime. The law is an important step in combating a type of crime that had 10 million U.S. victims last year, the president said in a signing ceremony at the White House. He said identity theft "undermines the basic trust on which our economy depends," robbing its victims of nearly $50 billion in fraudulent transactions.

I think its a good idea it will make people who provide fake ID's think twice some one can do serious crimes or acts of terror if they can have the right documents and a fake ID is one of them.

Bush Signs Identity Theft Sentencing Law

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I belive its a very good bill he just sighned,and I owuld be shocked if anyone opposes it. Its going to help punish those who aide terrorism.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I think harsh penalties for identity theft are a great idea, and a better way of combating the problem than National Identity Cards, which would be expensive and still fallible.

Identity theft is one of those offenses that nobody can "accidentally" infringe. There's no grey areas. Either you are that person or you're not. So severe penalties are fair.

Good move mister Bush (for once!)

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
What about if you use a fake ID to get into a bar? Is that considered identity theft? What if your brother gives it to you, then it is identity borrowing. I guess it says it applies to only felony crimes.

I am still not to sure that identity theft and providing terrorists with illegal identification should be on the same bill. But I guess that is how it is done in Washington.

[edit on 15-7-2004 by greenkoolaid]

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I have a criminal mind sometimes, and that side of me would oppose it...

Damn it now what are we going to do!!! I guess we'll just have to find some way around it brain...

Just because Bush signed that law doesn't mean people will stop... They'll just get smarter and get more and new technology to feed their criminal minds.. .

Hear that brain? You have to find a new way around it!! muahahaha..

I'm done...

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
imo death to identity theives!

That crap can screw you over for years.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenkoolaid
What about if you use a fake ID to get into a bar? Is that considered identity theft? What if your brother gives it to you, then it is identity borrowing. I guess it says it applies to only felony crimes.
[edit on 15-7-2004 by greenkoolaid]

Good point.. I suppose there would have to be some sort of cut-off. Proof of age uses, as you say, are a good example.

posted on Jul, 15 2004 @ 12:52 PM
link   
im sure there will be limitations like you said if a 14 year old kid takes his brothers ID or gets a fake ID from a friend im sure they wont throw him in jail for 2 years but they might give him community service damn i hate that punishment.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 04:57 PM
link   
some people provide fake id in the case where they are being tracked or stalked.. here it sounds like Identity theft in being pared with something as serous as stealing someone else’s money or financial information and stealing money form someone.

Other reasons people might provide a fake identity is because the government Through big corporations is posting our identities and personal information on the internet to CRETE a identity theft crisis in order to offer a solution of microchips.. The government is very tricky.

www.business.com...

Government Directories
Directories of international business and government information, including dialing codes and

contact information for embassies, politicians and national governments.

Directory Listings Web Listings

Sponsored Links

Nationwide Directory
Address, phone, email and others. Public and private record databases
www.CourtsOnline.org

Find People in 1 Minute
Get Current Name, Phone, & Address No Hit - No Fee. Find Anyone Now!
Public-records-now.com

Directory
Find Phone Numbers Fast & Easily - Search for Info at Yellow Book Now
www.yellowbook.com

People Search—Find Anyone
Current Unlisted Number and Address Search by Maiden/Spouse, Age, SSN.
www.Intelius.com

Search Government
Find Any Record Online in Minutes Search All Public and Vital Records
Instant-Detectives.net

Political Resources
Books, periodicals, directories and research on government topics
storefront.csg.org

posted on May, 1 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I just found out in the last 2 weeks that my Identity was stolen in 1998 and used for welfare fraud. And I think I know who did it. I think it was my xhusbent and his now xgirlfriend. The only way I found out is that he was ordered to pay me child support. I had been on welfare for 8 months while I was in school. I singed papers for the state to collect my child support for me seeing how he did not want to pay me. I have been trying for years to get that state to even take to me. Finally I hade to get legal help and found out that they said I was on it for 19 months, and told that they did not owe me a dime. I can prove that I did not even live in that state at the time they say I was on it. And I have found bills in my name in that same state while I lived in another state. And these bills all have the address of my xhusbent. I am at a loss to know what to do next. I don't know if I need to call the FBI or who ever. Dose anyone know what I should do to bring these people to Justice? Any help with this would be much appreciated.

posted on May, 2 2006 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Well, I would suggest getting a lawyer who specializes in Identity Theft and compiling all your evidence against the perpetrator. Then I would suggest filing either a criminal or civil suit against them.

These links below might help.

Identity Theft Help

Reporting Agencies

Important Steps

posted on May, 3 2006 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by WestPoint23
Well, I would suggest getting a lawyer who specializes in Identity Theft and compiling all your evidence against the perpetrator. Then I would suggest filing either a criminal or civil suit against them.

These links below might help.

Identity Theft Help

Reporting Agencies

Important Steps

Thanks I'll get right on it.:

new topics

top topics

join