It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights out for Lighthouses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There is nothing I love more then a lighthouse. If I get a chance to see one, I do. I know there have to be plenty of light house buffs around.

So I was sad to see this article that technology is erasing the already fading need for lighthouses.

cnn

However, with the advent of sophisticated and increasingly cheap Global Positioning Systems (GPS), a question mark now looms over the future of these iconic coastal beacons. "These are worrying times for lighthouses," said Jeremy D'Entremont, president of the American Lighthouse Foundation. "Everyone loves them, but as far as the government is concerned, they're not exactly a spending priority."

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I love lighthouses, even though I find them a bit haunting and spooky as I used to have a recurring dream about running towards a lighthouse when I was a kid.

Getting rid of something as simple and effective as a lighthouse because we now have GPS just seems unbelievably dumb and short sighted, what if your GPS breaks?

Lighthouses work and have worked for many centuries, GPS is unreliable at best (at least the one in my car is although I assume the ones on boats are better) and is delicate and breakable
edit on 14-2-2011 by davespanners because: added a line

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
As someone who designs cutting edge GPS equipment I'm quite concerned about the governments ill informed ideology that complete reliance on high-tech solutions in life or death applications is acceptable.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Well its not just GPS either. Buoys do a pretty good job of marking problem areas too.

I can understand that lighthouses are expensive to operate. But I think they add allure, and atmosphere to any community that is lucky enough to have one.

Interesting point about the failures of gps though.
edit on 15-2-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Yeah, the GPS failures are all part of the reptillilian agenda to swap poles as TPTB assume power for the NWO also known as HAARP. I McLove the chemtrail clues they drop innocently along the way...

Lighthouses are sexy BTW.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You're thread has really got me thinking. Not just about lighthouses, but how our world has gone electronic in a big way. Whenever the power goes out say in a grocery store, even with cash, you probably cannot even purchase anything because the "youth" of today don't know how to make change unless the machine spells it out for them.

Now in no way am I blaming the youth as it most certainly isn't their fault, but god help us if we have a EMP that knocks out our electronics. Even for a short while. The panic that would ensue from everything like groceries or even facebook withdrawal would be horrendous.

Back on topic, I have had the pleasure of visiting a lighthouse a few times in my life, and although it's a two hour walk through the bush to get there, it is always worth it. The appearance of one of these light giants that seems so out of place, also looks so powerful, and puts mans presence in a place that would seem barren without it.

I love lighthouses and hate to think that they are going to go the way of the sliderule as one day, they just might be needed, and in a hurry.

Very sad indeed..

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I used to love the lighthouse near where I lived as a child, and their demise would be a very sad day indeed

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Personally, I don't care how many electronic doo-dads you have on a boat, it's ALWAYS good to have the more traditional backups, as sometimes those doo-dads fail (or are fouled up by things like weather). What happens when a storm is so bad that the GPS can't talk to the satellite? Then where are you? (I'll tell you...crashed up on the rocks!)....

edit on 17-2-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Well the weather is certainly going to be a VERY big player in the future ahead, extreme storms are already happening and this will only get worse.

I agree with tribewilder, our dependence on technology is quite frightening, and traditional back up systems would be sensible to keep in all areas.

But hey, hindsight and common sense are alien words to governments, so let's sit back and watch the show unfold folks !!!

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Just think how many times someone's satellite tv goes out in rough weather.

Now, picture yourself on a ship, with almost zero visibility, and your GPS can't get a signal.
What of technology then?

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I kinda think too that maybe they should all double as a lookout or rescue center, like a version of a red cross tent. So if people do get lost, they know where they are.
That is a point too, they are all unique identifiers for those lost at sea.

new topics

top topics

join