It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker Readies National Guard Against Unions

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

www.huffingtonpost.com

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) said Friday that he was willing to mobilize the state's National Guard force in order to address the potential repercussions of his stated proposal to eliminate collective bargaining rights for state employees.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I woke up to reading this in my local newspaper.
And after talking to many people around town,things seem,well a bit "off".

This whole thing sounds a bit extreme.
Im not Alex Jones,but this is a very close use of "martial law" I have ever seen threatened.

Anyone else around the country hearing similar reports from their states?

I would like to think the idea of martial law,would be used in the worse case scenarios,not as a threat.

I also keep seeing this popping up on numerous webites as well.......(its usually a wi flag or a cartoon image that links to this site)

www.notmywisconsin.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com
edit on 14-2-2011 by Black_Fox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
What!?!? No bargaining units??? and hes preparing??? Thats wild !! Isn't his proposal unconstitutional or against something?

+30 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
The unions as they currently exist are nothing more than highly organized criminal enterprises.

I truly hope the worst for them.

+21 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Isn't it ironic/hypocritical that Gov. Walker and the legislators can legislate themselves a pay raise but if the people that actually do the work want to bargain collectively; walker threatens to bring out the Guard.

Walker better be careful, the Guard may turn on him because probably they have family in the unions.

I thank God for my union representation AFTRA/SAG because without them I would have no retirement and no healthcare coverage, because the production companies won't provide it.

Don't like the way your company treats you? There is a solution!! Unions..Kickinass for the working class!!

edit on 14-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Here in Blighty theres growing unrest and a series of strikes which may become an all out national strike if things get worse. Usually, when people like the fire brigade walk out, or government gets our version of the national guard, to do their jobs using what we laughingly call, Green Goddesses...
I honestly can't see what are in essence part time soldiers, obeying the corrupt government and attacking their own people...
I honestly think we're approaching a time when we all, no matter what we do for a living, will simply stop, stay at home and say enough is enough.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I think unions deflate wages. You pay high union dues, when you get a raise they get a percent of it. If you get the mob union out you would make more.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

a nationwide strike is the only thing that will work. everyone just stay home. the elites can't fathom fending for themselves. they pay evreyone to do their work. to feed them, clean for them, cure them, etc..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

During his time as county executive, Walker said he was overpaid, and gave $370,000 in salary back to the county over eight years. Walker's fiscal conservatism trickles down to his home life: His ride is a 1998 Saturn with more than 100,000 miles. He has also rejected $810 million in federal stimulus money, effectively killing a proposed light-rail project between Madison and Milwaukee.

From the article:

Walker said the changes are necessary to avoid up to 6,000 state employee layoffs and the removal of more than 200,000 children from the Medicaid program

I'm not defending Walker but it would appear that, like just about every other state, the well has run dry. Time for some hard decisions but this is where more people are headed. Welcome to the new USA.

src
brill

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Under Walker's immediate plan, all collective bargaining rights would be removed for state and local public employees starting July 1, except when it comes to wages. But any salary increase they seek could be no more than the consumer price index, unless voters in the affected jurisdiction approved a higher raise.

So they lose the ability to negotiate anything but wages or am I reading this wrong? So what if unions get removed? Considering the way unions go about their business its about time they get taken down a notch. They are now poking into affairs that are not in their charters. I have never seen a union official that didn't drive newer model luxury car
No joke [I've seen quite a bit of different union activity relating to jobs] Hey hey times are calling for CHANGE, and well maybe it is time to reevaluate the necessity of unions.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by CholmondleyWarner

a nationwide strike is the only thing that will work. everyone just stay home. the elites can't fathom fending for themselves. they pay evreyone to do their work. to feed them, clean for them, cure them, etc..

Too true my friend. If people go out onto the streets and riot the government may enforce martial law and people will undoubtedly be killed. The riots themselves wil almost certainly be provoked by agent provacateurs, secreted within the crowd to cause trouble. If we simply all just stayed in our homes and refused to play their corrupt game there is little they can do about it...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte

I think unions deflate wages. You pay high union dues, when you get a raise they get a percent of it. If you get the mob union out you would make more.

Yeah ...."professional associations" of doctors, lawyers, etc. help kep their salaries down........rofl.....what - you don't think they are unions?? Man those "professions" keep the shop shut good and tight and ensure they get to cream the system!

Lack of unions helps wages in 2 circumstances:

1/ highly skilled worders do not get "dragged down" - I remember about 30 yrs ago local aircraft mechanics hada "complexity allowance" in a contract, and baggage loaders wanted it too - the mechanics siad "F-off - loading isnt' any more complicated", the union said "hang on...these are your brothers...", etc - so everyone got it at a lower rate so teh total payment was the same.

that's jsut a off-the-cuff example I know of personally 'cos I was one of the mechanics!!

2/ strike/union breaking - employers offer higher pay to non-union staff.....htenonce the union or strike is broken the wages drop, and long term the bosses make money out of it.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
We have had similar laws past here in Australia with our dock workers. There was one big protest where the police where seriously out numbered and out flanked, the unions could have made a mess of them. But that is not what the protest was about, everyone just wanted a fair go. The national guard cannot stop a strike unless they take up the jobs. From the sounds of things there are plenty of other people willing to do the work for a lot less pay and conditions and the companies probably already have a work force lined up to implement this. It sucks. A bit more fairness came back into the system after the next election.
edit on 14-2-2011 by kwakakev because: added sentence about election.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox

I woke up to reading this in my local newspaper.
And after talking ot many people around town,things seem,well a bit "off".

This whole thing sounds a bit extreme.
Im not Alex Jones,but this is a very close use of "martial law" I have ever seen threatened.

Anyone else around the country hearing similar reports from there states?

I would like to think the idea of martial law,would be used in the worse case scenarios,not as a threat.

I also keep seeing this popping up on numerous webites as well.......(its usually a wi flag or a cartoon image that links to this site)

www.notmywisconsin.com...

www.huffingtonpost.com

This is very much like Martial Law and isn't it odd that it's a conservative republican who is threatening to impose it? After all the fear mongering that the liberals and progressives are trying to turn this into a communist country and take away our rights and transfer the wealth and all that crap. Finally, the truth comes out!

Let's see here; I'm going to enter into a legally binding contract with labor that guarantees a specific level of compensation for a specific job performed and now that you have performed the job, I've decided that I won't pay you the agreed upon amount and if you don't like it, I've got guardsmen who will shoot you. Now who does that sound like? A low life, lying assed republican, that's who. It's the republican/conservative movement that wishes to enslave America and the proof is in the pudding.

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
This action will only pertain to State employees and state employee unions.

To date, unions have destroyed every industry they've taken deep root in.

They destroyed the steel industry, most manufacturing, and did wonders for the auto industry - where they haven't yet completed that destruction.

They've priced themselves out of the market.

Now it's time to go.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Black_Fox

www.huffingtonpost.com

Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) said Friday that he was willing to mobilize the state's National Guard force in order to address the potential repercussions of his stated proposal to eliminate collective bargaining rights for state employees.

I'm curious as to which unions. That could make a big difference as to why the national guard is being called in. Maybe DOT workers are going on strike and they're gonna need road crews for snow plows and sanders... and maybe the snow budget is running low. It's been a wicked winter, yannow. And we've got more snow coming!!!
edit on 14/2/11 by 1088no5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Well, you have to admit that the unions have put millions of people to work....

In mexico, india, indonesia, pakistan and china!!!!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

It's a shame that you don't know what you're talking about. Unions built american industry and it's greed that's bringing them down.

I worked for 32 years in an industry that, to this day, is predominantly union throughout this nation and it has yet to be destroyed. As a matter of fact, it enjoys the patronage of some of the worlds largest and most successful companies as well as workers who enjoy a decent standard of living. Could be just a glitch in your theory or then maybe you're theory was a bunch of hogwash to begin with. I prefer to believe the later.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MMPI2

Apparently, you've been listening to too much anti-union propaganda.

Utilizing the National Guard against state employees?

I'm sure you'd be enthusiastic if they decided to utilize the National Guard against citizens next?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join