It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nautilus-X could be NASA's first manned deep-space explorer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
This is pretty cool. not sure about the inflatable habs in deepspace. Also with nasa spending being frozen i guess it's not gonna happen anytime soon.
but it's a cool concept and hopefully it's closer than we think.

In some configurations, Nautilus-X comes with little baby spaceships and landers, like shuttlecraft or those pod-things from 2001. The propulsion system is completely modular, and can be swapped out depending on where Nautilus-X is headed. It can dock with the ISS, and would only cost a modest $3.7 billion over 64 months to build.

nautilus x

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b53956499287.jpg[/atsimg]

another link, this one to space reference site.
edit on 14-2-2011 by optimus primal because: added extra link

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
i am not sure of nasa's budget but could they not still afford this over 5 years even with the budget freeze.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
very true. however, with cooperation between nasa, private companies and even internationally it's definitely feasible in the time frame.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I have such a bad feeling about this.
And i see a future movie being made about this.. disaster.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
while i think it's important to start space exploration I think it's a shame NASA is the first and only company to propose a model for consideration...Look how far overbudget they've been on everything and dont they just outsource thier Idea's to R&D companys? I bet if we cut out the middle man (NASA) it could be done faster cheaper and with better technology!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
i think its amazing they included a centrifuge,i tought i would never see one of those on a real ship...i thought it was sci-fi stuff you know...thats awesome...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ArieZ

ah but it isn't the first proposed!

icarus, son of daedalus project

project daedalus

project icarus

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
very very cool conept. However for this to be very succesful, the people aboard that spacecraft wouldn't be able to come back to earth if they want to do deep space exploration, so it would mean it could only last the lifetime of the inhabitants onboard, and would be pretty much educational suicide(lol?)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Good one. I found this story tonight:

New NASA Designs for a Reusable Manned Deep-Space Craft, Nautilus-X
www.popsci.com...

I think there is additional info there.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by thedeadwalkk

Just because you'r away from home doesn't mean that you'r dead.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The Nautilus-X design is feasable but will almost certainly not be built in that configuration or by any Government. Bigelow Aerospace is putting the finishing touches on a factory in Las Vegas to build "Expandable" modules similar but about 30% smaller than those shown in the Artist Concepts shown for the Nautilus-X.

new topics

top topics

join