It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA NJ NY CONN RI Philadelphia Daytime Bolide Fireball 12:45 EST 14FEB2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

PA NJ NY CONN RI Philadelphia Daytime Bolide Fireball 12:45 EST 14FEB2011

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com

On Long Island, NY approx 12:50 p.m.(feel like I'm crazy) I just saw a huge fireball, silvery metallic long bright tail headed almost directly down seemed to disappear right above roof and tree tops. I pulled over and waiting to hear an explosion or at least smell smoke or something.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.amsmeteors.or g

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Welcome to the shooting gallery: fireball incidence 2005:1.28/day 2011:4.94/day
this just in something fell from the sky and exploded in kentucky.
Was Allentown, PA struck by an asteroid fragment?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
This thing must have been huge: over 50 people reported it during the daytime.

This is starting to look serious: I've been tracking the increase in fireballs in the thread:

Welcome to the shooting gallery: fireball incidence 2005:1.28/day 2011:4.94/day

The current average is 4.62 per day over the US alone, up from 1.28 per day in 2005.

Sooner or later one of these will hit the ground.

lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
are there any videos on this?
2nd line

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsonninja

I'd like to see a video too, I'll see what I can find.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

A daytime fireball seen today from Philadelphia and other parts of the east coast turned heads and made waves. Over 20 AMS reports were filed within an hour of the fall and almost all of them put the space rock somewhere in the Atlantic.

The image below represents the plotting of the witness reports received by the AMS website in the first hour of this fall. 20+ reports in 1 hour for a daytime fireball, means this was a significant meteor event. The red person icon means the witness saw the meteor traveling left to right. The green icon means the person saw the meteor traveling right to left. The green line is the direction the witness first saw the fireball. The yellow line is where they last saw it. The red line is my ‘quick guess’ at the path of this fireball based on early reports.

www.mikesastrophotos.com... -makes-waves-in-philly-2011-02-14/

From AMS reports:

i think it probaly went in the ocean inless it was very close witch it appeard with small boom after it hit.

All I can say is Wow! What a rush! I have no idea the size of this thing but I could imagine this object migth be the size of a gof ball. The bal of fire and tail could not have been missed. When I was driving, it got my attention very quickly in spite of the fact that I was merging into the highway.

Having seen many "shooting stars" in the past at night, this sighting was impressive in the brightness and size of the flash. Would appreciate any feedback/information concerning others' sightings on this date and time. Am certain of time (12:37 pm) as I glanced at dashboard clock immediately after sighting.

57 people have reported this to AMS

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

thanks something seen by that many folks
has to be on youtube somewhere

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

Is this from the same sighting?What I mean is it wasn't multiple meteors was it?one meteor multiple sightings

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Hmmm...so it looks like it traveled SE I bet that means something to someone who knows about these things.

Thanks for reporting this story. You know, when I read it and especially when I saw the image, I all of a sudden flashed on that explosion in SE PA the other night. They say it was a gas explosion, but you never know. I think people were going to look and see if anyone reported a fireball in the sky or streaking through it. This one may have hit the ocean, but it's scary as hell to think about what would happen if one that size hit a populated area.

Where are all of these coming from? Why doesn't anyone seem to have a handle on it?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The number of reprots has reached 100 at AMS...from what I can tell that's a record.

If that thing hit the Atlantic, how long before the splash hits the East coast?, and how big will the ripples be?

Barely noticeable, or tsunami?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
I checked the JPL site for recent close approach objects. 2011 CD66 would be the only possiblity out of known objects.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 2/14/2011 by Erasurehead because: Fix link

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Silver Streaks in the Sky Likely a Meteor

Residents from NJ, NY, CT, and Pennsylvania report streaks of silver in the sky...

Over the skies of Salem County

Meteor sighting this afternoon over Phillipsburg, Philadelphia confirmed

edit on 2/14/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
so much going on in our skies so many inbound objects
just look at everything this year has given us so far it is
hard to pull away from the computer because i feel like
the next big story is just a minute away does anyone else
feel like this? like something massive terrible is coming ?
edit on 14-2-2011 by crimsonninja because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by crimsonninja

Something massive and terrible is coming, People can't pull away from their computers!

I get that feeling too but just ascribe it to everywhere I turn someone in the media is saying the end s coming and they have some sort of new creative way we will all die horrible deaths.

If this is a meteor I would expect it would have to be huge to cause an actual tsunami. And this doesn't sound that huge to me...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Spectacular meteor 'fireball' explosion over Britain leaves stargazers buzzing ahead of Geminid space shower

The “very bright” meteor lit up the skies from Somerset to Aberdeen, leaving the astronomy world abuzz.

Despite lasting just five seconds, witnesses thought they were watching a rare meteor shower because it was such a dazzling display.

But experts told The Daily Telegraph that the meteor, estimated to be the size of a football and travelling from east to west, was a “bolide” or “super fireball”.

It left a green tail in its wake after it burst into flames travelling through the earth’s atmosphere. It likely disintegrated before hitting the ground.

Scientists said the major space event, which occurred at 5.35pm, was a likely precursor to the annual Geminids meteor shower, which is considered to be the best display of the year.

Astronomers say next week’s impressive space display will produce up to 60 explosions an hour at its peak. It will combine with the only total lunar eclipse of the year.

www.telegraph.co.uk... -Geminid-space-shower.html

Seems like we're not the only ones seeing a lot of fireballs.

If the Geminids are supposed to be the "best", or largest bunch of rocks we'll run into this year if past patterns hold, I shudder to think of what they may be like if they increase in proportion to the general oncrease I've followed here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I mean, is the 60 per hour the historic average? If so, then if it increases like the general fireball reports have (350% since 2005), we might see 270 an hour....that would be incredibly awesome and scary.

I sure hope that isn't the case.
edit on 14-2-2011 by apacheman because: sp

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Article snip:

Scientists say it most certainly was a large meteor, a piece of an asteroid or a comet that falls through the earth's atmosphere. This latest meteor, one scientist says, was probably the size of a car and from its trajectory likely landed somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean.

I remember that just few days before the 9.2 quake of Banda Aceh, Indonesia (which provoked the deadly tsunami) on the news it was reported that a 'huge' fireball about the size of a car lit up the sky over Jakarta. Jakarta fireball 2004

Maybe it's just a coincidence, I don't want to fear monger, just came up to my mind

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Erasurehead

I agree, but the miss distance is 7.2 lunar distances LD, quite a lot. It must be some other not-detected object.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I've seen many meteors in my time. All were at nig ht, red trails blue trails, but never any during the day, and never have I seen one create such a burst of energy like this.

This was the brightest daytime meteor I ever saw. Over 60 years

I cannot confirm it, but a co-worker reported her daughter called her, and said there was a field fire caused by a meteorite by Eastpoint Mall in Dundalk,Md. about 5 miles in the same direction from where I saw it descend.

A few more comments from observers.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hundroid
reply to post by Erasurehead

I agree, but the miss distance is 7.2 lunar distances LD, quite a lot. It must be some other not-detected object.

Would it surprise anyone if they came out and said "NASA scientists have found a near earth object that should make impact to earth 9 hours ago." ?

There does seem to be an increase in not-so-often occurences in the sky the past few months.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
watch tonites comet flyby live from nasa www.ustream.tv...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Today up in north jersey (ledgewood area on rt.46) driving to work around 12:30-12:40 i saw what looked like someone shot a flare straight down at the ground about a half a mile ahead over the hill near the old hercules explosive facility. it was a bright electrical green color with a straight vertical tail that almost looked white. it went so fast i did a double take, it looked like someone dragging an object with a mouse down a computer screen really fast. i came into work super excited, it just wasn't something I have ever seen in the day time. Ive seen flares dropped and shot and ive seen fire works, this was nothing like that. it amazing to witness.

Another witness report. 140 reports in now, that has to be a record.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join