It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chevron fined for Amazon pollution by Ecuador court

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Chevron fined for Amazon pollution by Ecuador court

www.bbc.co.uk

A court in Ecuador has fined US oil giant Chevron a reported $8bn (£5bn) for polluting a large part of the country's Amazon region.

The oil firm Texaco, which merged with Chevron in 2001, was accused of dumping billions of gallons of toxic materials into unlined pits and Amazon rivers.

Condemning the ruling as fraudulent, Chevron said it would appeal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Amazon’s Chernobyl.
CRUDE - The Real Price of Oil
If you liked B.P.'s oil spill, you'll love Chevron's Genocide in Ecuador

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
About time to and I so hope they pay up.

It's just so typical of a multi-billion dollar company to turn around and appeal..
This bit made me chuckle

The corporation was, it said, still "trying to decipher" the ruling.

Just how hard is it to read and understand "pay 8bn dollars".

Calling it "illegitimate and unenforceable" is easy for a company that has its offices outside of Ecuador... It's not too hard to refuse to pay when your business can't be closed down or stock held etc..

I hope that they are made to pay up. The money will not help those who have died due to Chevron and it's not going to do much to help the countryside heal either, but it is a smak in the face for Chevron...and we all know about them, don't we..!!

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Talk about synchronicity, we were 3 minutes apart on reporting this! www.abovetopsecret.com...
This is good news if it doesn't get appealed.
I'll notify mods about duplicate thread

peace,
spec

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I can see Ecuador coming under new management pretty soon.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Let us just hope that the fine will go towards trying to clean the enviroment which was affected by their actions rather than directed elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

You don't have to notify hem about duplicate threads unless they are in the same forum.
F+S for yours in fragile earth forum.

Nice comment there about how all hell breaks loose over BP's mess in the gulf, yet 20 years of running around for Ecuador.

This, IMO, is a prime example of why people protest and revolt.. Tunisia, Egypt, Iran, Algeria.. We're seeing a trend here and these mega money people better look out because someone is going to dig something up and spill the beans when these fat cats are thrown out of power..

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
So much for a wildfire response

I am curious how this will pan out so let's update these in the future when we get some more info.
There is a documentary somewhere that shows the saturation of oil and how it has bled into the water supply. I will try and dig it up.

spec

new topics

top topics

join