It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Allentown, PA struck by an asteroid fragment?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Seven strange facts about the suspected natural gas explosion that killed five people, damaged or destroyed 47 homes and was heard up to eight miles away:

1) A routine leak-detection check of the gas main that serves the area on the day before the explosion found no problems.

2) There was no history of leaks for that section of 12-inch cast-iron main, there had been no recent construction in the area and there were no calls about gas odors in the month prior to the explosion.

3) People who lived near the blast site described a feeling that all of the air had been sucked out of the room just before the explosion.

4) At least one resident heard a "series of booms" that she couldn't locate:

Dorothy Yanett, 65, has lived on the block for nearly 40 years. She was in her living room with her husband awaiting the evening news when she heard a series of booms, she said.

"I couldn't tell where it was coming from," she said. "Everything falling and crashing, glass, just a nightmare."

She found glass in the shoes she was going to put to leave the house.

"There was no odor, there was no smell. Then it was like all hell broke loose."

www.courierpostonline.com...

5) A 17-year-old neighbor described seeing a brief yellow glow in the house just before it exploded:

"Everything turned yellow," Sheila Guzman of 1239 Allen St. said in Spanish. "It was not a small light. It was the whole house. Then [there was] an explosion so big and everything was gone."

www.mcall.com...

6) The explosion left an enormous crater in the ground. After touring the site, U.S. Senator Bob Casey said, "I've never seen anything like that. It's a crater in the earth the size of two homes."

www.philly.com...

7) On Feb. 9, 2011 -- the day of the explosion -- this message appeared on NASA's Spaceweather site:

CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH A VW-BUG: Newly-discovered asteroid 2011 CA7 is flying past Earth today only 63,000 miles away, or 1/4th the distance to the Moon. At closest approach around 1930 UT on Feb. 9th, the VW-Bug-sized space rock will zip through the constellation Orion glowing like a 17th magnitude star.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I gonna go ahead and say it was Nibiru.

Interesting read, still going through it all. Thanks.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I live close to Allentown and I remember around that day. (10th), hearing a LOOUD LOUD boom.

Interesting stuff.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
There were 5 fireball events recorded on the 9th over the US, but if the cloud cover was heavy that day, one could easily be missed.

www.amsmeteo... rs.org/fireball2/public.php?start_date=2011-01-01&end_date=2011-02-28&state=&event_id=&submit=Find+Reports

There seems to be a rather large increase in the number of fireballs reported this year. I've been keeping track in this thread:

Welcome to the shooting gallery: fireball incidence 2005:1.28/day 2011:4.94/day

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Current average is 4.62 per day.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
no, because I was east of Allentown, and 2 people I was with witnessed it go towards Trenton, sort of. I am so mad I missed it. I heard it was big, and bright, and had a blue tail with plumes of smoke... eeerrr

eeerrr... I responded to your title... this meteor was today at 12:35... the one I mentioned.. so not related... my apologies.. I wish there were a thread on that one today..
edit on 14-2-2011 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Myendica

What time of day was that? If around 8 pm EST, it might have been event 187, reported in Missouri moving NNE to SSW, bluish:

The "streak" appeared to move from the NNE to the SSW. The "head" appeared to be bluish in color with a white trail. The flight was a straight line.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by keepureye2thesky
I gonna go ahead and say it was Nibiru.

A star for that, my friend.

But now that you mention it...

Sun's Nemesis Pelted Earth with Comets, Study Suggests
by Leslie Mullen, Astrobiology Magazine
Date: 11 March 2010 Time: 08:16 AM ET

A dark object may be lurking near our solar system, occasionally kicking comets in our direction.

Nicknamed "Nemesis" or "The Death Star," this undetected object could be a red or brown dwarf star, or an even darker presence several times the mass of Jupiter.

Why do scientists think something could be hidden beyond the edge of our solar system? Originally, Nemesis was suggested as a way to explain a cycle of mass extinctions on Earth?

Our solar system is surrounded by a vast collection of icy bodies called the Oort Cloud. If our Sun were part of a binary system in which two gravitationally-bound stars orbit a common center of mass, this interaction could disturb the Oort Cloud on a periodic basis, sending comets whizzing towards us.

May you live in interesting times...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This is the kind of thread I love ATS for. Very cool info, and absolutely plausible, if you ask me. Thanks for the share! A lot more junk falls around us every day than we know about.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenFleece

Hmmm...this is amazing. Thanks for this. I just mentioned it in the thread about today's daylight meteor (or whatever it was) that seemed to follow a similar southeasterly trajectory over the area with the most sitings, which coincidentally was pretty much right over Allentown.

burntheships will also be very interested in this as it was brought up in her original post about the explosion in Allentown as well.

Gotta love ATS...ask and ye shall receive.

edit on 2/14/2011 by ~Lucidity because: typo'd

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece
3) People who lived near the blast site described a feeling that all of the air had been sucked out of the room just before the explosion.

This is actually exactly what should be expected from a natural gas explosion. There is no reason (at least, none that I can think of) that a meteorite would cause a vacuum effect in its vicinity. A natural gas explosion, on the other hand, involves the ignition of a region of gas, which takes oxygen...a large explosion would then "suck" in air to sustain the ignition.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Fracking keeps coming to mind... Perhaps causing gas to leak in odd places?

Anyways, today I was watching the news and was a bit perplexed by a statement about another PA gas explosion. "Unknown gas", Wouldn't you know if it was piped natural gas by its additive smell? They even collected a sample for testing. Wouldn't that smell too? Hmmm.... Also,

all of those lines passed the pressure test with no leakage.

The news also stated in the video that there was a previous gas leak several blocks away.

www.wtae.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Now this is likely totally unrelated. Perhaps... But there is some odd stuff happening in PA. Right after the explosion business on the news, they reported this. So much weird in such a short time. My jaw dropped.

2 buildings partially collapsed in the Pittsburgh region today. Likely from high winds and thawing weather. Now I have never heard of this happening before. One building ok... But 2?

News report

The second one was at a dentists office.

Second one
edit on 14-2-2011 by elouina because: Whoops! Was in too much of a hurry to fix it.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
That's very interesting. I cant comment to much because this is the first I have heard of it. I did however, read about that meteor that was gonna be a close call.

I think that is strange that the reports say the gas line that inspected the day before and was found to be in good shape. Plus, I think you would smell the amount of gas that would cause a crater the size of 2 homes.
s+f

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
This is actually exactly what should be expected from a natural gas explosion. There is no reason (at least, none that I can think of) that a meteorite would cause a vacuum effect in its vicinity. A natural gas explosion, on the other hand, involves the ignition of a region of gas, which takes oxygen...a large explosion would then "suck" in air to sustain the ignition.

Yes, but in this case numerous people said the air had been sucked out of the room before the explosion, which is odd. I also don't know why a meteorite would cause this kind of effect, but I included it because it didn't seem to jibe with a natural gas explosion.

Originally posted by 00nunya00
This is the kind of thread I love ATS for. Very cool info, and absolutely plausible, if you ask me.

Thanks, much appreciated! I have relatives in Allentown, so I actually spent a fair amount of time researching dozens of news reports and eyewitness accounts. In some articles, gas company employees flatly stated that there was nothing wrong with their pipes, even before any investigations began. Later on, the inevitable conjecture started over "old pipes" and "anomalous damage", which was probably caused by the explosion itself.

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by GoldenFleece

burntheships will also be very interested in this as it was brought up in her original post about the explosion in Allentown as well.

Feel free to tell her that it was partly her incredulous reactions to various accounts that inspired me to dig deeper (she kept saying, "how is this possible?") Smart girl -- thinks for herself.

I wonder if there are others in PA who suspect the circumstances, personal accounts and incredible destruction doesn't really add up.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
don't worry folks !
It's just "the warming stage" !
Just a little rock!
THINGS WILL "GET BETTER" !

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenFleece
Seven strange facts about the suspected natural gas explosion that killed five people, damaged or destroyed 47 homes and was heard up to eight miles away:

1) A routine leak-detection check of the gas main that serves the area on the day before the explosion found no problems.

2) There was no history of leaks for that section of 12-inch cast-iron main, there had been no recent construction in the area and there were no calls about gas odors in the month prior to the explosion.

1 & 2 don't mean that something didn't suddenly go bad or was just undetectable before it went off. As for #3, that's just what happens when you have an enormous explosion - all of the nearby oxygen gets sucked into the event to fuel it.

4) At least one resident heard a "series of booms" that she couldn't locate:

That's interesting and could mean they were hearing sonic booms or something exploding partially in the air as it comes down, but that alone isn't enough to say it's something else. It could well be other smaller explosions happening in relation to the big one.

5) A 17-year-old neighbor described seeing a brief yellow glow in the house just before it exploded:

How does this point to it being something from space?

6) The explosion left an enormous crater in the ground. After touring the site, U.S. Senator Bob Casey said, "I've never seen anything like that. It's a crater in the earth the size of two homes."

That's what explosions do, they leave craters. I saw the aftermath of a massive gas explosion that happened in New York City about 12 or 13 years ago that also left a massive crater in the middle of the street. Nobody got hurt, it happened in the middle of an intersection at like 5:00 AM so nobody was around, however the photo in the newspapers of the massive jet of flam shooting into the air was awesome! (Wish I could find it.)

www.philly.com...

7) On Feb. 9, 2011 -- the day of the explosion -- this message appeared on NASA's Spaceweather site:

CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH A VW-BUG: Newly-discovered asteroid 2011 CA7 is flying past Earth today only 63,000 miles away, or 1/4th the distance to the Moon. At closest approach around 1930 UT on Feb. 9th, the VW-Bug-sized space rock will zip through the constellation Orion glowing like a 17th magnitude star.

www.spaceweather.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
I live close to Allentown and I remember around that day. (10th), hearing a LOOUD LOUD boom.

Check this thread out ATS Thread - Meteor Confirmed Over...
I posted a story of a few years back when a meteor came over our area and a sonic boom pounded me in the chest and everyone came outside to see if something had blown up, or a plane had crashed in a field. The meteor then was recorded by a mom at her sons baseball game in or near Baltimore, MD and appeared on our local news channels. It was also stated that it passed over MD, PA, and NY. Some speculated that it either burned up over upstate NY or somewhere in Canada.

I can say if this lady heard a few explosions, or booms, that it could have been a sonic boom, the impact boom, and the "gas line" boom. Or a few objects in close proximity. (CREDIT TO: LifeAndDeath, I didn't read your post, but you got to it first, and great post as well)
edit on 2/15/2011 by SixX1874 because: credit giving

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Thanks for the tip on this thread!

The breaking news thread on this can be found here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

for reference. I did question the hole in the ground, the fact that that day two leaks were
called in by annonymous people in the area, no leaks were located, and the two callers were
not found.

Very interesting idea...
Looking forward to the investigation!
edit on 15-2-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Hmm all my family lives up in A-B-E and I did not see anything on fb from them about something strange.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SixX1874
I can say if this lady heard a few explosions, or booms, that it could have been a sonic boom, the impact boom, and the "gas line" boom. Or a few objects in close proximity. (CREDIT TO: LifeAndDeath, I didn't read your post, but you got to it first,

Don't bother reading his lengthy post that says nothing except to be skeptical of every fact I presented.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join