It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seagulls Acting Very Strange (Picture Set: 5 Pictures)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have said a couple times in a few of my posts that the seagulls have been acting weird around here lately.

So, as the old saying goes: pics or it didn't happen.

These seagulls are stuffing themselves full of palm tree seeds. I do not know why, but they we're in an absolute frenzy.

Weirdest part is, the all left in one huge pack, all at the same time.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I'm assuming they do not usually eat from the trees? Where I live, the seagulls will eat almost anything, and palm trees are not a part of our natural environment lol

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
You know I was going to post about this I live about 45 min. from the beach and have never seen a Seagull here unless I was at the beach but they have been flying all over the place here lately. I have lived here in Orlando for over 20 years.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

I don't exactly remember them eating palm seeds so extremely...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddyweiser

The birds have been acting so weird here as well lately, and I figured it was time to take some pictures to show it... Haven't seen them in such large packs either

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

I kind of like it I can close my eyes and it feels like I am at the beach lol.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Has anyone else had any bird activty or strange behavior in their areas?

Does anyone know or heard of why seagulls might eat palm seeds?

They are not doing this normally, and they have been travelling in packs.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 9Cib27

I am sorry, and not meaning to be a smart-a$$ this morning, but your post made me giggle, because birds are normally known to be in 'flocks', and dogs usually run in 'packs', so that really is some strange behavior you are seeing!!! LOL!! Just had to say it, sorry.......

No off the wall bird behavior up here in the Pac NW, yet.......

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I don't know why my post for disagreeing with Brandyfro's attitude was removed and hers was not.
I will try to reply to her attitude in a civilized manner. Brandy, usually seagulls do not flock heavily together as seen in the last picture of the set.

Also, it is very uncommon for them to eat together as one group (in particular on palm seeds) because usually they are beach scavengers and fast food parking lot skimmers.

These birds are very clearly acting strange and I would like to hear from some people who have also noticed the strange behaviour.

edit on 16-2-2011 by 9Cib27 because: Fixed

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I live around 40 min. away from the beach as well (in Spain), and two nights ago I heard seagulls close to midnight. That was a bit strange

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I live in uk...two mornings on the trot whilst on my way to work (07.15am) I have seen huge flocks of seagulls going overhead...never seen it before.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
There is probably a huge swarm of tiny flying insects hanging around the trees. The gulls will fly back and forth through the insect cloud, as they feed in flight. Because the bugs are small, it would look to us as if the gulls are going crazy, what with their acrobatics whilst catching the insects.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bkrmn

No, they're not eating insects, they're eating the seeds out of the palm trees. Not to debunk your theory right away but I was at close sight range and also observed their dropping, which were all seeds and shells.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Maybe they dont want to eat the fish out of the gulf. I dont want to eat it either!
It seems like all the creatures that thrive in the ocean or from the ocean are coming inland, want to take a guess as to why? I'm going to guess....Deepwater Horizon, BP, Corexit...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 9Cib27
Has anyone else had any bird activty or strange behavior in their areas?

Ask some folks in Arkansas about that one.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
hmmm, maybe seagulls in the northern hemisphere behave differently than those in the south.

Down here in Australia the gulls have always flocked together, especially when there's food to be had.

I"ve lived on the coast all my life and it's always been fun to go to the beach and feed the seagulls and watch them scrambling and fighting for every scap you throw them.

I have however noticed that there doesn't seem to be as many of them lately, maybe they've all gone north,

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Those are some very strange,ill manered sea gulls.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
You're just being silly right?

Have you never been to a dump?

5000 seagulls eating at the buffet and flying nearby to roost?

Come on now - Birds of a feather - Flock together.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I have seen many seagulls fly together numerous times.. Its nothing new, I have also seen seagulls eating cherries ravenously off a cherry tree. These are normal behaviors. At least where I live.

posted on Feb, 19 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gradius Maximus
You're just being silly right?

Have you never been to a dump?

5000 seagulls eating at the buffet and flying nearby to roost?

Come on now - Birds of a feather - Flock together.

Was about to say about dumps/tips, very true, every dump/tip has Gulls.

Originally posted by Thorlongus
I have seen many seagulls fly together numerous times.. Its nothing new, I have also seen seagulls eating cherries ravenously off a cherry tree. These are normal behaviors. At least where I live.

Exactly!

- - -

Every body of inland water will have Gulls at times, which usually come inland with rain bearing clouds, hence an old saying when gulls are inland, "Gulls are bringing the rain in." and they have far ranges comparable with any migratory bird.

Gulls are not insectivorous, not at all, sorry, (unless ingesting insects coincidentally to scraps they are eating, maggots or stubborn flies on food scraps etc.).

I too have heard Gulls at night or early hours of the morning and i think if you were able to be near them when they began their late night/early morning cries, you'd find it's simply because they were disturbed by somebody or some thing, i live nearby the river Thames equidistant to Chelsea and Chiswick, i can practically spit in the river were i to stand on the roof, the A, 4 motorway which parallels the river for quite a distance locally and engines can spark up late night/early morning Gull cries, trigger the fight or flight responses from their roosting, as too, when night clubs empty etc and couples or small groups move around the quieter areas they will disturb birds, etc, among them, Gulls pipe up sometimes.

Gulls are opportunist feeders, it's very likely Gulls have gone for Date Palm seeds throughout time, just takes one to suss out they are edible, eat a fallen seed or whatever and being fairly intelligent birds they will realise the seeds on the trees are same as ones on the floor below the tree, then the flock will follow suit, just first time you've observed it.

Here in the UK around coastal areas and even inland, they will actually dive bomb old people and kids who are eating, attack groups sat outside Bistro cafes even, scare the hell out of people so they leave the food, then Gulls hoover up the abandoned food.

When it comes to Gulls and feeding habits, nothing surprises me and if peeps go to ornithological themed forums and post there, you'd find many will have that same view, Gulls used to frequenting our developed areas have developed some pretty strange and sometimes antisocial feeding behaviours all on their own because we provide opportunities for them and they Will exploit any opportunity we present.

I read nothing strange regards Gulls here, all their normal behavioural patterns.

Just check out bird watcher forums and interest websites regards Gulls and you'll realise the same.

And has nobody heard of the music band "Flock of Seagulls"?

I like Gulls actually, annoys me when i hear kids and old folks being attacked by Gulls for their sandwiches etc but there's no malice in them, we just give them opportunity and they take it.

Old myth ye may be interested in, sailors used to believe Gulls are born with the souls of dead fellow sailors or dead comrades possessed the birds to stay with shipmates on their journeys etc, this is thought to have arisen because Gulls follow boats and ships so the romantic notion of dead fellow sailors returning in Gull form and keeping close to their shipmates became common belief, but again, they know humans = food scraps, all it was/is.

Peace.

edit on 19-2-2011 by DeltaPan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join