It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar Activity Increasing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Any one noticed the sun is starting to really crank it up now with the flares? was even a TV news report tonight on channel 4 of what could happen and what to do if a event like the Carrington super flare happend ...

i watch space weather like a hawk...and the group of sun spots that just burst are huge 6 earths sizes all pointing at us

this is the image the stero satellite caught of the flare caused

looks like a big one, not worried about gps knockouts yet hoping maybe for some northern lights on the lower lat's but the thing is we haven't even hit the solar maxxium
edit on 14-2-2011 by TreX-UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

I wonder if this would cause a good impact on solar panels and create more energy but then again it might not make any difference at all. Good find though.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TreX-UK

It's something normal!
WE DESERVE IT!

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Apparently the sun is the most active its been in 8000 years
www.space.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Good Artctile. its strange tho they say we are aproaching solar min when im sure its max...and the two diffrent cycles of 88 and 11 years

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
uh yeah
that story was from 2004
not to worry
the Max is almost upon us
next year and the year after will prove to be the biggest we/earth has seen in a long long time
the last week has seen the return of one of the more active sunspot complexes and
the last 24 hours has been more active and more intense than the last 8 months
this will be an interesting time we are about to live through
(remember the Chinese cure about living in intersting times tho)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpreadLoveNotHate
Apparently the sun is the most active its been in 8000 years
www.space.com...

huh...

"Date: 27 October 2004"

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I dont think we should be worried. I mean if a giant sized ( and i mean massive ) solar flare pointed directly at us went off, sure we should be concerned. But Nasa would most likely now about it before it happened, and they would tell us. I mean, they wouldn't just let thousands, if not millions of people die without them or anyone knowing

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadwalkk
I dont think we should be worried. I mean if a giant sized ( and i mean massive ) solar flare pointed directly at us went off, sure we should be concerned. But Nasa would most likely now about it before it happened, and they would tell us. I mean, they wouldn't just let thousands, if not millions of people die without them or anyone knowing

Lol, you were being sarcastic of course...weren't you?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by discl0sur3

Lol, you were being sarcastic of course...weren't you?

nope. Im being serious, and even if Nasa didnt tell us, the world is filled with numerous people who would know about it happening, and it would be all over the internet

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Interestingly enough, this is potentially the least active solar cycle on record...

NASA - Solar Cycle Prediction

Though, I must say, there is a marked difference between frequency and intensity.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

who said anything about dying on a solar storm? that's why earth's atmosphere is there. to protect us(actually,its just there,no "thats why")

The true danger of solar flares is EMP's caused by the CME colliding with earth's atmosphere,causing pretty much everything that has a eletromagnetic field to stop working.(cellphones,cars,planes,lamps,flashlights and of course,power suply)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

No that's actually mostly incorrect.

A large solar storm can blow out electrical grids creating surges, so only things plugged in without surge protectors could get damaged.

Cars, phones etc will be fine.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

EMP's disable eletrical devices.Not only the ones pluged in the power grid,but anything that works with an eletric current.

I was wrong when i said "atmosphere" its actually the earth's magnetic field.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

But that's the thing, a solar storm can't create what is known as a typical EMP.

The type of EMP created by a solar storm is called an E3 and as I said, only effects electrical grids, specifically, transformers.

en.wikipedia.org...

They can also effect steel pipelines.

new topics

top topics

join