It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we have armies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
So I came upon this question, of why do we have armies when I was reading Nietzsche. He says that the nation state tells its people we need an army for self defense. (Even though some governments will never admit the army is there for occasional conquest.) So the army is there and is made because morally who can be against self defense.

But what does this say of the neighboring country? Does it automatically imply that your neighbor is evil or bad? So then what is to stop the neighboring country from saying look what our neighbor is doing they are raising an army we need an army for self defense! And so on and son the ball kepps rolling and picks up steam for all countries to have armies for "self defense".

So my humble ATS collegues, I ask would it be possible as Nietzsche was advocating that if all armies are dissolved we could have a measure or a thin slice of peace?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by American-philosopher

Nietzsche was advocating peace yes, but he is more than that. He came close to finding the truth if you read more about him he describes a Superman or Übermensch or Over-man.

If you look more into Nietzsche he envisions a community of full of Superman's if we are to ever achieve a community such as Nietzsche has envision there would be no need for armies, no need for war. Everyone will be living in harmony with each other because they are Superhumans capable of understanding every opposing parties, they know how to handle every conflict without having to resolve to violence.

One more thing, who are the real terrorist? The people that are fighting for their lives or the soldiers that wants gas?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The moment you have a productive nation and DON'T have an army, you'll soon discover why.

You won't have **** for very long without one.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

as Ron Paul stated, "there is a difference in military spending and defence spending". He is totally right, instead of having an army, we (all countries) should have a national militia which DOES NOT leave the country (unless war occurs, but hopefully as a species we are evolving beyond the primitive actions of war. We have developed brains that can REASON people, let's use them).

Anyways, that's my 2 cents

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

If we all valued the life of a human more there would be no soldiers to fight the wars .
If you convince soldiers to put their weapons down who would fight ? The elite wouldn't because they value their lives they just dont value ours .
Educate the troops is what we need to do , they need to know that its not necessary to risk their lives for these mega rich elites .

This is what happens when you try to spread a message of peace to the soldiers ..................

San Diego, CA) Radio talk show host Michael Reagan is calling for the murder of political activist, Mark Dice, after hearing that Dice is mailing letters and DVDs to troops in Iraq.
911blogger.com...

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
War is a fear based, greed and manipulation system only justified by those who are not as evolved spiritually and mentally as some others.

Soon, with more light energy coming our way... war will be abolished by the peaceful people not taking any more *** wooping.

xxx

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Short and simple, Money and blood.

The world elite funds both sides of a war.
and they are making Alot of money on it, +depopulating the middle east
edit on 14-2-2011 by fixedworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by American-philosopher
So my humble ATS collegues, I ask would it be possible as Nietzsche was advocating that if all armies are dissolved we could have a measure or a thin slice of peace?

Personally I find it doubtful indeed. We are a long way, as a species, from the goal of universal peace.
We are fractious by nature.

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace."
George Washington

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The game 'Civilisation' by Sid Meier is an excellent history lesson and helps explain why so many things are the way they are.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
We have armies because our differences in perspective, no matter how minute, create fear and distrust amongst the ignorant. Every nation's people believes that they are somehow "special" and must be separated from others. Our similarities are ignored in order to push the agenda of those who utilize our blind fear.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
My question is...

How is it possible for a world full of open minded, loving and peaceful people... There are still more then enough just waiting for a moment to smash an others brain to pieces...

For me this is impossible to comprehend.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

My question is... How is it possible for a world full of open minded, loving and peaceful people... There are still more then enough just waiting for a moment to smash an others brain to pieces... For me this is impossible to comprehend.

Most of the ongoing conflict is based on competition of resources. When technology is such that are needs are comfortably meet things will settle down. Here is one thread to help comprehend a peaceful future www.abovetopsecret.com...

The unification of the worlds armies under the START treaty is one of many needed steps towards this.
edit on 14-2-2011 by kwakakev because: added sentence about START

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

I know why there are wars. I just don't get how does that benefit the least from it are willing to die fighting them.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SpreadLoveNotHate

Yeah I like that I agree with that.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   

"To be prepared for war is one of the most effective means of preserving peace."
reply to post by Noncompatible

Thats probably one of the only statements of washingtons that I disagree with. A show of force is supposed to make the opposing party peaceful? The protesters grow more peaceful when they see the riot police decked out in full riot gear?

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

I know why there are wars. I just don't get how does that benefit the least from it are willing to die fighting them.

History, tradition, fear, lies, propaganda, glory. People do some pretty stupid things at time, ignorance is a big reason. Lots of effort gets applied to show war in a positive and honourable light, the reality can be quite different. Society has had this meat grinder as part of its functioning for some time and it has become very effective in what it does. When you believe and have trust in your leaders it is easy to fall under their spell and put your body on the line. When you start to see they are just people doing what they can in a system gone mad then the questions of why start to surface.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Fear.

posted on Feb, 14 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

We need wars as they are a natural form of population control, as well as a means to solve our differences that boil beneath the surface. Life relies upon an equilibrium of forces in order to maintain its existence. For example, there are forrests that would die if they did not regularly experience fires, as the fire is needed to clear the old growth, make way for the young, fertilise the soil, and ripen dormant seeds. It is our choice to experience war as being a natural process, or one of unjustified pain and cruelty. Usually it is the human fear of war that makes us nuke an entire city because we are too afraid to take on the enemies soliders in regular (honourable) combat.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SystemResistor

So are you saying war is a form of nature?? Or is war a ntural tendency in human beings?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
i disagree withe the premise of your position. the same natural degradation towards the essence of what life portends that has created the very works of Nietzsche; are the same causes that leads a person/s not diluted and virgin to concepts of comprehension of self existence within the scope of being honored a charge of maintaining said existence to follow such a man/ideal/thought/creation.

in short armies are necessary because a man charged with maintaining the integrity of creation by means of continued creation has deemed "armies" necessary.

regarding politics of a less tribal nature; how is Nietzsche relative to tribal dealings from the perspective of non local events?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join