It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother shot twice with a Taser after she was arrested for leaving baby in car to go to tanning salon

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
I bet this post was to gain outrage at tazers yet the common reply is the stupid mother. There's always the real story behind the media story (ie the truth of the matter)

no this post was not to draw anger at tazers. it was to desensitize people to the idea of abusing women (only) with dangerous weapons, by authority figures. in other words, anyone who replied to this particular tazering as well deserved punishment but replied to the op's other tazer threads as bad, should check to see what the big difference is, and make a note. this will tell you what direction this thread is attempting to manipulate public opinion in.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
It is considered child neglect to leave an infant in an unattended car. I'm pretty sure in California there was a law passed because a child died while left in the car. Hell in my city you can get a ticket for leaving your car running at the gas station to run in and by coffee. Dam tree huggers.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by dieterhund
Ahhh....the best country in the world....the good ole USA. Only there would you a taser a 19 year old mother who left her child outside.

This is very common is certain countries overseas. In Sweden for example, it is very common to do the same. They believe babies need to nap outside, even in the very cold, bundled up outside. The Mom's all go to lunch or shop inside & leave their babies in the pram outside. There is ZERO fear that someone will steal your baby. People just do not do that there. This also very common in Denmark as well.

Reminds me of this picture in Iceland....I imagine the entire female population with children would all be tasered and put in jail.

reykjavikdailyphoto.blogspot.com...

Culturally speaking, we are not talking baby buggies lady. Yes, in America it is illegal to leave your children in a car unattended. We are concerned with the child getting brain damage from excessive heat, having heat stroke and dying. A baby buggy is an open device. A car - especially one with windows up, doors locked, is an oven waiting to happen.
Also hypthermia is not such a good thing to give your baby either. But hey.....

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Lets dispense with the tired old notion that responsible pot users would be included in the mix of folks who should have their kids taken away. It is nonsense.

I don't care if the person is collecting stamps, spending too much time on the treadmill, playing video games, what ever. If they are consumed by activities that place the child in danger the child should be removed from the home. They are one of two things - either they are so incompetent that they don't understand that they are neglecting the child and puttting it into harms way or they don't care. In either case they have demonstrated an inability to properly care for a child and that child should be removed from that environment. Perhaps that removal is temporary, perhaps it is permanent. I would suggest that the bias should be permanent until such time that the parent has cleared a significant hurdle and burden of proof that they can resume parenting in a competent manner.

This country has a big problem with inadequate parents. If you look at some of the most successful charter schools being started in inner cities, they have school from 7-5, 6 days a week. Why? Obviously to give the kids more instruction, both to catch up and to get ahead of grade, but of equal importance and publically stated is to keep them out of their home environment. If, for a child to receive a proper education and focus on their education they need to be removed as much as possible from their home, they should not be in that home. To the extent that it is not the parent's fault and in many cases it is not, then steps need to be taken to correct that problem, whether it is moving the parents or correcting the current environment, even to the extent that a massive police presence is required.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

frankly, if the state wants to have its own children, i suggest it TRY to give birth on its own. here you are sweating over parents who don't raise their kids in a way the state assumes is responsible (and believe me, fascist and communist states can get pretty damn weird about what responsible is), and yet there are places in the world where there's not only no life expectancy for children, they don't even make it out of the woman's stomach before they are killed.

straining over a gnat and swallowing the galaxy!
edit on 15-2-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
well well well,
what can be expected when mtv / vh1 / facebook / myspace / ps1-2-3 / xbox are the parenting tools for a generation?
It's only going to keep getting better and better the further we move away from being in touch with the earth and being human. Hopefully the big reset button gets sat on soon.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DaWhiz

1. was it hot outside?
no

2. was the heat on?
yes because it was cold outside

3. were the doors locked?
we don't know.

4. is it safe to leave anybody in an idling vehicle with the windows rolled up?
no, not really. carbon monoxide poisoning. no odor. kills adults as well as children of all ages.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
well well well,
what can be expected when mtv / vh1 / facebook / myspace / ps1-2-3 / xbox are the parenting tools for a generation?
It's only going to keep getting better and better the further we move away from being in touch with the earth and being human. Hopefully the big reset button gets sat on soon.

and i ask you, if you think this is bad, why are you not out calling for the extermination of entire nations where the people starve to death enmasse, including the children and babies, because the drug cartels and drug runners, take everything that's not nailed to the core of the earth.
edit on 15-2-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by fairytale
just an oposing point of view, i grew up being left in the car, call that sick or sad...that's just what my parents did, idk maybe in the 80's that was ok? it was Canada idk if that makes any diffrence?

Being Canadian is no excuse!

I was brought up in the US in the early 80's, left in the carseat with the window cracked or the car running many a time, while mom ran into the store. I'm happy healthy too.

Truthfully, I only really see neglect in these cases on hot summer days when the child is left locked with the windows up and the car off. That's when evil things happen.

IMHO her child should never have been taken from her.

She should have been:

1) ALLOWED TO CALM HER BABY
2) verbally warned, "do you understand what you've done?"
3) required to pass a field sobriety test with the child in temporary custody until its completion
4) issued a misdemeanor citation without arrest if found sober
5) she should have had a follow up visit by social services that evening
6) follow up court appearance

Problem solved. No ones rights violated.

Instead a human being is cattle prodded and infant is without its mother.

To force a man to drop his own mind and to accept your will as a substitute, with a gun in place of a syllogism, with terror in place of proof, and death as the final argument—is to attempt to exist in defiance of reality. -Ayn Rand

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo

4. is it safe to leave anybody in an idling vehicle with the windows rolled up?
no, not really. carbon monoxide poisoning. no odor. kills adults as well as children of all ages.

that happens when a car is idling in a enclosed space like a garage. There is no risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in a idling vehicle in a parking lot.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Just to add fuel to the fire, and support the other side of this argument......if she wasn't tanning, suppose she went inside to pick up a prescription for the baby, would we still be so angry? She would probably have been just as far away from the car, and she still might have spent 10 to 20 minutes inside, but it would not have been for such a selfish reason, so would we still be so angry?

As for me, I am not uniformly against leaving a baby in the car with it running for a few minutes, but the tanning thing struck a nerve for me.

A running car makes a prime target for thieves, because obviously it has keys in the ignition! Easy target, and a thief may or may not even notice that a child is in the back, and even if they do notice, they might just toss it out!

I think this issue from the OP was extreme because of the selfishness of her action, the extended time of a tanning session, and the isolation of a tanning room. She had no chance of monitoring that baby for at least 20 minutes. Then she aggravated the situation by being combative to the cops that were looking out for the welfare of the baby! I think the OP is a unique and extreme situation, and that is why it is an emotional one.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
TPTB have done a great job at slowly making tasing a 'normal' occurrence in the public eye.

It sickens me that every single person on page one of this thread, except UNDO, jumped right on the bandwagon that it was okay to physically harm this young girl simply for being stupid (something just about all young girls are- and many adults).

I would like to believe that most of you were blindly following the herd with your typical sheep comments along the lines of... "what a horrible mother" "what an idiot" "let's sterilize her" "let's punchisize her face"...

If you were NOT following the herd, and you truly feel this way, then I have no hope left that this country can ever have free citizens. Look at all of you - LOVING that this girl was harmed - CALLING for more of it!!!

Yes, the girl is an idiot. But does that really make it okay to tase her? Is that the new norm for when people act stupid? Who decides 'stupid'? Like someone mentioned, it's perfectly normal to leave a child out in other countries. Who decides what is right? Everything is wrong somewhere.

You all have fallen into another trap - tasing is not something police do to citizens in a FREE country. Sane adult human beings are intelligent enough to take care of this type of situation without harming ANYONE. I could maybe understand if this girl was an enraged ten foot ogre, but she's just a chick. What a lame loser of a cop who could not arrest this woman without tasing her... twice.

And as for the majority of you who just LOVE what happened to this girl, I will sincerely cheer and beg for MORE when it is you convulsing on the pavement because some jerkstore pig saw you doing something stupid. Like none of you have ever done anything stupid before

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
How stupid could you possibly be? Seriously, I would have been a better parent in grade 8 than she would be in her entire life!

Why would you need to go to a tanning salon in Florida anyway? Doesn't Florida get sun for like 90% of the year or something like that.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

Ok Sri Oracle,

In your view of how things "should" have happened, what if the police handled it that very way, social services followed up that night, things looked ok, but the baby wound up dead before the court date? Who would be to blame? How many people would be out for blood, because the police didn't do enough?

And, people can get carbon monoxide poisoning in a car idling in the open. That is the reason that exhaust pipes are required to extend to the edge of a vehicle and they don't just cut off under the body. Any kind of pinhole leak in the exhaust can allow the fumes to accumulate in the car. The heater was running, so it was also bringing in air that contained exhaust, and infants are particularly sensitive to CO poisoning.

Here is another hypothetical, suppose this were my estranged ex-wife, and my baby, and the baby did wind up dead or missing, so I killed her. Obviously I would be under severe emotional distress, and she clearly deserved it, so what should my punishment be in that case? If we are going to softball the mother, do I get softball treatment as well? Should I just get counseling and probation for her murder?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

sounds like a pre-crime unit you're suggesting. hey, you might speed down the road at some point in your life, cause your car can go faster than 55. you need a traffic ticket, and have your car impounded, oh, and tasering if you freak out when the tow truck rips the bumper off your classic mustang 4 barrel, customized, mag wheel, love machine.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by FREEwoman

And as for the majority of you who just LOVE what happened to this girl, I will sincerely cheer and beg for MORE when it is you convulsing on the pavement because some jerkstore pig saw you doing something stupid.

So, even you agree there are times a good tasering is warranted..? Thanks for the support...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
[...]either they are so incompetent that they don't understand that they are neglecting the child and putting it into harms way or they don't care. In either case they have demonstrated an inability to properly care for a child and that child should be removed from that environment. Perhaps that removal is temporary, perhaps it is permanent. I would suggest that the bias should be permanent until such time that the parent has cleared a significant hurdle and burden of proof that they can resume parenting in a competent manner.

N O !

How do you know this mother routinely straps her child into a car and leaves it unattended. Perhaps this was her first mistake and just seeing her baby covered in puke was all she needed to reform. The child should not be removed from the environment, the environment should be monitored through state intervention. There should be assurance of sobriety, there should be social services visits, and court dates to attend to. In a free society, THE STATE MUST CARRY THE BURDEN OF PROOF.

This country has a big problem with inadequate parents.

This country has a big problem with physically forceful, suspend all rights, over-adequate big brother and a large class of sheep that believe this is what freedom is all about.

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

That isn't "pre-crime?" That is a crime in progress, and a mentally unstable mother reacting to getting caught.

I was only stating that we often crucify police or state agencies for not doing enough to prevent these crimes when there was clear concern to act upon. This is one of those cases, we criticize they did too much, and we would have criticized if they didn't.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hahahahahaha! B*tch had it coming hardcore. Nothing like 150,000+ volts to teach her how to not be a dead-beat parent.

reply to post by undo

Wrong. Inhumane would be someone like me in that police officer's shoes whereas instead I would've pepper sprayed her AND as I get her to be handcuffed I'd twist her arm enough to almost break it. When she was tasered I hope the b*tch was hit with the probes and not just drive stunned.

Whether the use of a taser was inhumane or not. Leaving a child unattended in a vehicle while it's hot outside is inhumane.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

no you suggested that if she made one mistake where her baby is concerned, that she will make others resulting in the death of her baby. that is the definition of pre crime

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join