It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother shot twice with a Taser after she was arrested for leaving baby in car to go to tanning salon

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by trollz

If if if.

Conjecture.

You should get tazed because you MIGHT run a stop sign today.

That is what you are saying.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I have no idea what you're talking about.
The article linked in OP's post said this woman took her baby to the car, strapped it in, and left it there where it got sick. When police came, she assaulted the officer. Maybe this wasn't the EXACT story, but that is what it says. It's not a case of "she was considering leaving the baby in the car", she did, and it's life was endangered. She also resisted the officer, who was dealing with a legitimate situation and had every right to intervene for the safety of this child.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

it spit up. babies do that you know?

whew. please don't exaggerate. stay with the data.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by trollz

it spit up. babies do that you know?

whew. please don't exaggerate. stay with the data.

I am staying with the data, directly from OP's link. It said it was "sick all over itself", which to me indicates vomiting, not simply spitting up, as is not unusual for babies. I didn't even exaggerate in the least bit.

The responding officer found the baby had almost pushed herself out of the seat and had been sick all over herself.

edit on 15-2-2011 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by korathin

does anyone read the thread before commenting?
the baby presumably is not hers. she was babysitting.

Can you point me to this info? I can't find that anywhere, only that she is the mother.

it was cold outside. 55 Fahrenheit. baby in no danger of overheating.

The car was on. I'm assuming Mom didn't lock herself out of the car with the keys in the ignition. Prime target for a carjacking and unintended kidnapping. Not to mention the myriad other things that babies die of all the time when left by themselves for too long.

she was arrested, according to the article, for non-violent resistence, after which she
was tassered twice and arrested for a felony of child abandoment or something.

That makes no sense. How can she be arrested for resisting arrest? She was being arrested for criminal child neglect/abuse, and now has the additional charge of resisting that arrest. Not the other way around.
edit on 16-2-2011 by 00nunya00 because: miserably embarrassing spelling mistake

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

t 1:30 p.m., St. Petersburg police said. She brought along a 7-month-old girl whom she was caring for

[...]

Two officers said the infant, who was later given to a relative, wasn't strapped into her car seat and had spit up on herself, but was otherwise okay

[...]

She said her boyfriend was supposed to be in the car watching the infant, police said.

www.tampabay.com...

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'm going by the Orlando Sentinel that states she was charged with child abuse. They can't arrest you for probation violation for a minor non-criminal traffic offense, otherwise the jails would be clogged with people failing to come to a complete stop or having a burned out tail light and being on probation. A minor traffic violation isn't enough to arrest anyone for, so the only charge she could have been being arrested for was the child abuse. And then resisted.

Article on her being charged with child abuse

And about the baby being given back----again, can you source this citation for me? Forgive me, but I can't find it in this thread or elsewhere.

ETA: I see you just posted the info about the baby. So it was given to a relative---that makes sense.
edit on 15-2-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

It looks like that article stating she was "caring for" the baby is the among oldest of the articles you can find on it. More recent articles have cited her as the mom.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

According to Florida State Statute:

FSS 316.6135 Leaving children unattended or unsupervised in motor vehicle; penalty; authority of law enforcement officer.

1. No parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child younger than 6 years of age shall leave such child unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle for a period in excess of 15 minutes; however, no such person shall leave a child unattended for any period of time if the motor vehicle is running or the health of the child is in danger.
2. Any person who violates the provisions of subsection (1) is guilty of a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable by a fine of:
* Not more than $100; or
* Not less than $50 and not more than $500 if the motor vehicle was running or the health of the child was in danger at the time of the violation.

3. Any law enforcement officer who observes a child left unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle in violation of subsection (1) may use whatever means are reasonably necessary to protect the minor child and to remove him from the vehicle.
4. If the child is removed from the immediate area notification should be placed on the vehicle.
5. The child shall be remanded to the custody of the Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services pursuant to chapter 39, unless the law enforcement officer is able to locate the parents or legal guardian or other person responsible for the child.

www.flhsmv.gov...

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The baby didn't even belong to the woman. The woman was babysitting. And for her to be a poor excuse for a baby-sitter. All the more reason to taser her worthless ass.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

Yes, she was the mother. That has been verified by now.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

That's not dealing with a 7-month-old baby, it's dealing with "children under 6" which gives a broad range to be able to be lenient (with, say, a very mature 4-year-old in the car for literally 60 seconds). It's not dictating what happens to a baby taken from parents for criminal neglect. In that case, they try to give the kid(s) to close relatives instead of a foster home.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 00nunya00

if it's not considered child abandonment/abuse/neglect to leave the baby in the car unattended for 15 minutes, then any time after that 15 minutes, is where the law is broken which results in a traffic ticket. are you saying they just put the 15 minute thing in there so they could write a ticket on top of the felony charges ? this is a sloppily written law, if so.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
The baby didn't even belong to the woman. The woman was babysitting. And for her to be a poor excuse for a baby-sitter. All the more reason to taser her worthless ass.

Whatever..

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Oh okay. I just thought I read somewhere on here that she wasn't really the mother. And that she was just a babysitter.

Oh well. I still call her trash.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

edit on 2/16/11 by Marked One because: forget it

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

No, the whole law is designed so that traffic cops can intervene when they [very often] see stupid parents leaving their kids in cars. Otherwise, without a traffic violation, they are left to interpret what "child neglect" means without clear boundaries, and can be sued for trying to make sure a kid is just safe by breaking into the car if necessary to get the kid out and either find the parents or take him to social services. It presents clear boundaries for a grey area of "neglect." Leaving an infant, however, is always clearly neglect/abuse, with no grey area. That's why she's not even being charged with the traffic violation (that I have seen from any recent source). She's being charged with straight-up abuse.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
double post
edit on 16-2-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

so do they have to wait for 15 minutes before they can charge them with abuse?
that's where this whole thing is getting foggy. and where's the law that states leaving your child in the car
is child abandoment/neglect/abuse?
that would clear this all up for me, at least.

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

What constitutes child abuse in Florida

Willful or threatened act resulting in physical, mental, or sexual injury or harm, causing or likely to cause impairment of physical, mental, or emotional health

That's a lot of grey area.

ETA: more info on child abuse laws and specifically what usually constitutes neglect:
Link

Neglect is frequently defined as the failure of a parent or other person with responsibility for the child to provide needed food, clothing, shelter, medical care, or supervision such that the child's health, safety, and well-being are threatened with harm.

edit on 16-2-2011 by 00nunya00 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

uh, yikes. wouldn't they have to prove it harmed the baby? otherwise, it's like a pre-crime. other than having spit up on itself, it was otherwise okay, the police officer said.
man i am glad i'm not a lawyer. what a maze!

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16 >>

join