It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother shot twice with a Taser after she was arrested for leaving baby in car to go to tanning salon

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sri Oracle
Only 15 US States have laws regarding leaving children unattended in a vehicle.

FLORIDA's law:

According to Florida State Statute:

FSS 316.6135 Leaving children unattended or unsupervised in motor vehicle; penalty; authority of law enforcement officer.

1. No parent, legal guardian, or other person responsible for a child younger than 6 years of age shall leave such child unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle for a period in excess of 15 minutes; however, no such person shall leave a child unattended for any period of time if the motor vehicle is running or the health of the child is in danger.
2. Any person who violates the provisions of subsection (1) is guilty of a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable by a fine of:
* Not more than $100; or
* Not less than $50 and not more than $500 if the motor vehicle was running or the health of the child was in danger at the time of the violation.

3. Any law enforcement officer who observes a child left unattended or unsupervised in a motor vehicle in violation of subsection (1) may use whatever means are reasonably necessary to protect the minor child and to remove him from the vehicle.
4. If the child is removed from the immediate area notification should be placed on the vehicle.
5. The child shall be remanded to the custody of the Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services pursuant to chapter 39, unless the law enforcement officer is able to locate the parents or legal guardian or other person responsible for the child.

Sri Oracle
edit on 15-2-2011 by Sri Oracle because: (no reason given)

Well, while I still don't think leaving a child in a car unattended is wise, this is very eye opening. She is still a bad parent, but this certainly brings the tazing and charges under a new light.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Justagyrl
reply to post by undo

www.tampabay.com...

I don't know if I am doing this right...first timer.

You did it just right, and that is an awesome link.

Ashley Agerenza had an appointment at a tanning salon at 5907 Fourth St. N about 1:30 p.m., St. Petersburg police said. She brought along a 7-month-old girl whom she was caring for, police said, but the salon said she could not take the child with her to the tanning booth

Agerenza took the girl back to her vehicle, police said, and left her inside, alone. Police said the vehicle was left unlocked and running. Witnesses called police.

So it wasn't hers, and witnesses immediately thought they should call police, which tells me she was suspicious from the start.

Now for the tazer part!

She said her boyfriend was supposed to be in the car watching the infant, police said.

They told her she was under arrest but she refused to place her hands behind her back. She also slapped at the officers' arms, police said, and kept pushing them away.

That's when the officers used a Taser, police said.

Agerenza was arrested on charges of felony child abuse, felony battery on a law enforcement officer and a misdemeanor count of resisting an officer without violence.

"Resisting without violence" yet they still chose to taze her, just because she was pushing their arms away. That in no way constitutes an "attack" or use of the tazer, and I hope the officers are reprimanded! Happy now?

I am still entertained and amused that this idiot got tazered, but I am appalled that the police used it in this manner.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

hey i'm american! and i've been here trying to understand why taser usage is
helping the situation, when the police could just be better defended with good body armor.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

wait, what if the boyfriend was supposed to be in the car and it was his infraction, but she got blamed for it because it was her car?
this is getting really interesting.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Good, if she leaves a baby strapped inside a car which gets sick and could have died and then attacks the police officer who intervenes, she deserves to be tazered. People like this shouldn't be allowed to own children.
edit on 15-2-2011 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by trollz

get up to date. first, it wasn't her child. second, allegedly, her boyfriend was supposed to be with the baby in the car. dunno how true it is but it's not unbelievable. third, it's not a felony apparently, in florida, but a minor traffic infraction. lol

oh man, this is a huge mess.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

My post was a hypothetical, but thanks for being so sensitive. The English language doesn't have a genderless pronoun except for "they" and that is considered plural, so we are forced to use either "he" or "she" and either way the sensitive part of half the population could be offended, so I tend to not worry about it.

You're teaching your grandmother to suck eggs, I am a linguist. I know English doesn't have a genderless pronoun! But you're way behind the times - it's quite acceptable now to use 'they' as a singular genderless pronoun. My son did so throughout his university degree, using 'they' to refer to patients and nurses (he was doing a B. Nurs., and he would have been marked down for using generic he. It's got nothing to do with offending the 'sensitive half of the population', and everything to do with logic. I've seen some incredible racism, sexism and xenophobia on this thread. It matters what words you use - if children are taught using what educationalist Dale Spender called the "He/Man" syndrome, they grow up thinking that only males exist - or that only males matter.

Originally posted by getreadyalreadyAnd, winter time in Florida still has an intense Caribbean sun, southern Florida is a sub-tropical climate, and cooking the baby was only one of the many concerns with leaving a 7 month old in a car seat in a running car in a parking lot! Theft, CO poisoning, kidnapping, puking (which happened), wriggling out and strangling (which almost happened), and probably a dozen other things.
edit on 15-2-2011 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

As I said, someone actually gave the temperature, which was 55 F. My calculator says that's 12C. The 'Caribbean sun' is irrelevant. When the cloud clears here, on a 12C day, we have sun, and on account of a munted ozone layer, it's more intense than anywhere else in the world. But it's still bleeding cold at 12C!
V.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Hate women much?
For the last time, it wasn't hot! (I saw where someone had actually got the precise temperature - 55 degrees F, which is 12 C, New Zealand's average temp, which is, I assure you, COLD
Vicky

No I just hate certain people.

And cold? Hot? In between? That makes no difference. You DON'T leave a child unattended in a vehicle.
edit on 2/15/11 by Marked One because: fixing something

edit on 2/15/11 by Marked One because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

unless someone comes up with evidence to the contrary, in florida, you aren't supposed to leave a baby unattended in a vehicle for longer than 15 minutes. does anyone know how long the baby was unattended? and even if it is longer, it's still a minor traffic infraction, which is hard to believe based on what could potentially happen but not hard to believe if take into consideration the various people who mentioned being left unattended in vehicles as children, in this thread.
edit on 15-2-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Marked One
And cold? Hot? In between? That makes no difference. You DON'T leave a child unattended in a vehicle.

In the state of Florida it is legal to leave a child unattended for up to 15 minutes. See my post on the previous page. Regardless of what she may have been charged with, her only "crime" was a $500 non-misdemeanor traffic infraction and LEGALLY her child should have been returned to her immediately.

Sri Oracle

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
double post

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Sri Oracle

you mean non-criminal misdemeanor?
i think that's what the law you posted states.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by undo
reply to post by Sri Oracle

you mean non-criminal misdemeanor?
i think that's what the law you posted states.

non-criminal means non-misdemeanor.

Under FL law, it was a non-misdemeanor, non-criminal, "civil infraction"... no worse than speeding or petty littering.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Vicky32

hey i'm american! and i've been here trying to understand why taser usage is
helping the situation, when the police could just be better defended with good body armor.

Yes, I see that you have... Sorry, I should not have said what I did about all Americans! I am just so taken aback by the crazy things I have seen other people (not you!) say in this thread... I am not defending the woman's actions, as I see you are not either, but tasering? Exactly..
Vicky

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Glad I was able to do the link!! I read three articles, two stated she was the mother and the one quoted stated she was not...so I am sure. I have two boys 5 and 2 1/2 and I am pregnant...point is, for the last five years I haven't been able to take a dump in peace. I am not complaining about this, it is just a fact of life...a responsibility I assumed when I DECIDED to have children. If I can't use the bathroom in peace I find it crazy that some woman thinks she can go get a tan and leave a baby in a car. I hope they got her good!!

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Originally posted by Marked One
I can tell the woman was ghetto-trash. And I'm happy to know she was treated in the right orderly manner--as just that; trash. Humane or not. And I stand by what I say. I've dealt with ghetto-trash before first-hand and I say with full confidence that they're not always friendly.

So, racism, sexism and elitism? What the hell does 'ghetto-trash' mean? Have you even finished high school?

She doesn't look black to me - but oh, she's got a 'furrin' name... I always knew Americans are racist barstewards, thanks for confirming that fact for me.
V.

What does ghetto-trash mean? People like that woman who are too dumb and stupid to understand that they shouldn't leave children alone in the car?

I didn't say she was black, or any other skin color. I said she was 'ghetto-trash'. Ghetto-trash means 'low-class and uneducated people who don't have jobs and live on welfare in the slums and like to think they're all bad-ass because they're orrejon and they were locked up and they live the 'thug life esse'.

Ghetto-trash (Think of a 'Chav' or some variation of one. Those of you out there reading this from UK should know what a Chav is.) come from any race, nationality, skin-color, or ethnicity; white/Caucasian, black/African-American, Hispanic/Mexican/Latino, Asian, etc.

It sounds like YOU'RE the one whose racist because it was YOU first who immediately thought 'black' and made an association when I said ghetto-trash.
edit on 2/15/11 by Marked One because: fixing spelling

edit on 2/15/11 by Marked One because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
double post

link   

in v's defense i do believe it was me, but i punctuated that by pointing out that i learned, even in the ghetto, there are good people and that the only difference is circumstantial.

link   
Reply to post by trollz

If if if.

Conjecture.

You should get tazed because you MIGHT run a stop sign today.

That is what you are saying.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

in v's defense i do believe it was me, but i punctuated that by pointing out that i learned, even in the ghetto, there are good people and that the only difference is circumstantial.

Part of what you said is true. But I still stand by what I say when I talk about 'ghetto-trash' being out there. I deal with some of these kinds of people on a regular basis where I work. And that's an answer to a certain person who asked if I even finished high-school
edit on 2/15/11 by Marked One because: adding further comment

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join